Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,437 times

Advertisements

I live South of Rudisill and West of Clinton. Many residents here worry about crime, but I do not. I have lived in this neighborhood since moving to Ft. Wayne in 1998, and I know most of my neighbors. There are strong neighborhood associations and many people work together to maintain a safe neighborhood. Criminal activity as reported in the paper may worry a single woman or elderly persons so much so that they plan to move, but that, combined with a downturn in the real estate market has provided an opportunity to buy a home at prices well below the national average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 10:33 AM

6 posts, read 22,696 times
Default All comments and opinions have been most welcomed!

Thank you all for the comments submitted to this thread. From what I have read so far in this thread and several others, that Fort Wayne sounds a lot like where I grew up in Ohio, only much larger. My hometown of West Lafayette was only 2500 people and only about 35-40k in all of Coshocton county. Now that I have been stuck in the fast lane for so long, I am ready for a major change. I already know what I like to do, so finding it won't be a problem. NASCAR doesn't bother me, but I am more into drag racing. Is there a strip in FTW? I haven't researched that yet. My boys and I love shooting guns and are members of the NRA. I found there is a nice gun club and range in FTW plus you are only about 50 miles from Indiana's only 1000 yard shooting range! I personally am into precision shooting.

My family and I are born again Christians and go to a Baptist church here in California. I have found several in FTW and don't think finding a church will be difficult. I would also like to get back into fishing. I noticed a couple of parks have ponds/small lakes. (Franke Park) Is fishing good in the area? I can't imagine you would find anything but cat and carp in the rivers, but I would expect nearby ponds and lakes to have bluegill and bass. Fishing here in SoCal sucks. It costs you $20 a person anywhere you go and if you don't have a boat, forget it. You can't get past the moss on the shoreline.

I look forward to moving, but am just waiting for Raytheon to make up its mind if they want me for the position.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:14 PM

413 posts, read 1,845,535 times
Shooting guns, fishing, born again, church...you'll do fine in Indiana. That's pretty common here. Good Luck!

Old 01-15-2008, 09:09 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,394,239 times
Franke Park is a very nice place to fish! And it also houses the Zoo, so when you need to take a break you can go to the zoo to see some animals and maybe ride the African Safari ride! It's 2 bucks a person but lasts about 6 or 7 minutes. It's not done yet, but even so it's really fun! (At least to me it is, but I'm amazed by everything lol)

The pond I fish at (Columbia City) is stocked with Bass, Blue Gill, and Cat Fish, as much as I stink at fishing, it's fun just to be outside. Fort Wayne also has many trails and soon to be connected to many more trails. You can rent bicycles all day if you don't have one, or you can just walk (long walk though) and after all that you can stop into the hot dog stand downtown for a few chili dogs! Oops! That's what I do! But you can also roller skate, there is a new bowling alley that is ranked internationally number 1 I do believe. In the winter there is ice skating at headwaters park. In the fall there is Oktoberfest, there is also Three Rivers Festival in the summer. You have the Komets (hockey), the Wizards (baseball), the Freedom (football), and the Mad Ants (basketball), there is a new baseball stadium being built downtown for the Wizards which I believe will be very nice if done correctly, it will bring a different feeling to downtown, I like being in downtown now, with the Harrison Square project (new stores, condos, the baseball stadium etc..) it's going to start getting hectic! There are many schools and colleges, 2 different malls (one indoors and one outdoors) and many more things.

I'm leaving things out. But it's late lol.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:35 PM

6 posts, read 22,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzou View Post
Franke Park is a very nice place to fish! And it also houses the Zoo, so when you need to take a break you can go to the zoo to see some animals and maybe ride the African Safari ride! It's 2 bucks a person but lasts about 6 or 7 minutes. It's not done yet, but even so it's really fun! (At least to me it is, but I'm amazed by everything lol)

The pond I fish at (Columbia City) is stocked with Bass, Blue Gill, and Cat Fish, as much as I stink at fishing, it's fun just to be outside. Fort Wayne also has many trails and soon to be connected to many more trails. You can rent bicycles all day if you don't have one, or you can just walk (long walk though) and after all that you can stop into the hot dog stand downtown for a few chili dogs! Oops! That's what I do! But you can also roller skate, there is a new bowling alley that is ranked internationally number 1 I do believe. In the winter there is ice skating at headwaters park. In the fall there is Oktoberfest, there is also Three Rivers Festival in the summer. You have the Komets (hockey), the Wizards (baseball), the Freedom (football), and the Mad Ants (basketball), there is a new baseball stadium being built downtown for the Wizards which I believe will be very nice if done correctly, it will bring a different feeling to downtown, I like being in downtown now, with the Harrison Square project (new stores, condos, the baseball stadium etc..) it's going to start getting hectic! There are many schools and colleges, 2 different malls (one indoors and one outdoors) and many more things.

I'm leaving things out. But it's late lol.
Thanks for the info! Fort Wayne sounds like a wonderful place to live. I just hope my company responds to my request for a transfer there. I have got to get out of CA! Three to Four hours a day in traffic plus 9-10 hours at work is not my idea of "Having a life!"

Old 01-18-2008, 06:34 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,721,897 times
But the weather!!! You have the weather!!! I'm being facetious.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:45 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,056,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
But the weather!!! You have the weather!!! I'm being facetious.
And, evidently they don't have any guns, fishing, Wal-Marts, born agains, or churches...

Old 01-18-2008, 06:49 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,056,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8r View Post
Thanks for the info! Fort Wayne sounds like a wonderful place to live. I just hope my company responds to my request for a transfer there. I have got to get out of CA! Three to Four hours a day in traffic plus 9-10 hours at work is not my idea of "Having a life!"
FtW and surrounding area, while not perfect, it is indeed a quite good place, offering MANY options to those that have open minds, with an eye on more than just fast night life activities [which, while not hopping like a bigger city, is still impressive for burg this size]. Good luck to yas...

ps: of course, this is coming from a fool that drives 2 hours a day, works 9-10 also... So, see, ya CAN have that here too!

Old 01-18-2008, 07:02 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,394,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8r View Post
No problem!

Hope you get to make it out here! Also a small tid big of info. Fort Wayne is the 70th biggest city in the nation! (Not huge, but not small)

Old 02-03-2008, 11:18 AM

562 posts, read 2,402,901 times
Default best school districts in the Fort area

Corona is beautiful, my dad lived there for a while. You will miss the mountains and blue skies, but as one who has lived in CA (Belmont Shores/LB area), you will probably be very happy with the home you can soon provide for your family and,perhaps with the schools.
First off, the schools in Ft Wayne proper are OK. The quality is better in either SW Allen or NW Allen. The two areas with pretty older homes, a sense of community pride, and some stability in value are 1. Forest Park/Lakeside area, which is where the Kenwood house is. 2. Southwood Park area by Rudisill.,bordered by Rudisill, Petit, Fairfield and Old Mill Rd.area Definitely respect those borders here. Both areas are stabilized by grand homes once built by doctors and the like before the moved SW to build mc mansions. I will tell you both areas utilize their private,Catholic schools a good deal, and the public schools are not the best. ST. Johns the Baptist anchors Southwood, while St. Judes anchors Forest Park.I I believe the Lakeside/Northside High public schools would be the better.
This is why we moved from Southwood Park to SW Allen (Aboite), two children ago.We are Catholic but use public schools. Have you and your wife considered that you may be able to build a new home with character? We are fortunate to have a new 2600 sq ft home with a basement w/ hardwood floors, an overscale mission style wood staircase,lots of molding and big trim, and a mission oak kitchen made by Amish craftsmen.I have lived in great older homes but have grown to appreciate windows that don't leak and upstairs laundry.We built for 225 K in 05, but many builders are offering deals right now. By the way ,Aboite is growing, but much of it has a country feel. There are lots of type A people here. NW Allen is more laid back.
I wish you all the luck if you decide to move, I am scoping out other areas for us because seasonal mood disorder is taking its toll on my family. Still, from all accounts there are potentially more issues for areas suitable to raising a family anywhere with more sun and a job for my hubby. There is alot to love about Ft Wayne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne