Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 04:50 PM

3 posts, read 12,455 times

Advertisements

I'm a African American divorced single mom with a 4 year old planning to buy a home in Fort Wayne. I'm originally from DC however I'm currently residing in Toledo. I've Lived in Toledo for about 2 years and actually like it. However I can buy a much nicer home in Fort Wayne at the same cost (cheaper property taxes too).

As I get closer to finding my new home I'm becoming increasingly worried about racism and hate crimes.

Should I worry? Are there any areas that are more tolerate to people of color in FW?

PLEASE KINDLY ADVISE!!! I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 09:51 PM

3,068 posts, read 2,395,814 times
Actually, according to a few different sources, the median price of a house is much lower in Toledo and the overall cost of living is about the same. Since you like Toledo, you might as well stay put.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:37 AM

Thanks a bunch Sheerbliss for your feedback.

I should have also mentioned that I am a registered nurse and accepted a job offer in FW. Currently in the market for a 200k home. Can you steer me in the right direction of safe areas, for example zip codes would be most helpful as I'm still researching cities surrounding FW too.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:14 AM

3,068 posts, read 2,395,814 times
I don't live in Ft. Wayne, so I can't make any suggestions on where to buy a house. I would suggest renting first to see how you like Ft. Wayne.

The FBI lists only two race-based hate crimes in Ft. Wayne for 2017, same as Toledo.
Indiana: https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2017/...ts/indiana.xls
Ohio: https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2017/...-cuts/ohio.xls

Old 12-22-2018, 09:34 AM

Great idea to rent first...that was my initial plan however I started looking at properties. A one year lease will be worth the peace of mind.

The links are most helpful. Thanks again!!

Old 12-22-2018, 12:53 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,968,897 times
Fort Wayne has similar diversity to Toledo. Probably a slightly smaller African American population however. In and around the city I don't foresee you having any problems. Rural Indiana is not as open minded however, I rarely hear about hate crimes in Indiana, but there are still a lot of stories of racism in small towns across the state.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:11 AM

5 posts, read 14,783 times
If you could tell me where you will be working, I could offer suggestions on where you might choose to live. I don't find any part of town racist. Are there racists here? Probably, as I would guess there are racist in every state, I see nothing that makes me think one state is worse than the other. Fort Wayne is a good, friendly town that is working hard to develop a nice downtown area with lots of activities. There are people of color in every area of town.

For 200K you will be able to live in any section of town. Generally, the SW side is the most expensive, but even there, you will be able to find housing. The NW side has some high dollar homes too, but again, there are homes in your price range. SE side would be the cheapest as far as costs in our city. NE, would probably be the second least expensive, but once you get out aways, there are some expensive areas.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy your move here!

Old 02-25-2019, 09:10 AM

468 posts, read 465,801 times
I am a white male, 65 years old, and grew up in central Indiana but lived in Fort Wayne from 1979 to 2013. When I was a boy back in the 50s I can say for sure that small towns in Indiana were very segregated. I left Indiana and went into the military in 1971 and the communities I lived in in the military were all integrated. I returned to Indiana and moved to Fort Wayne in 1979 and immediately found that realtors tried to steer me away from what were considered "black areas" where mostly African Americans lived. Flash forward to present day Fort Wayne and I think the situation is vastly changed. My last neighborhood on the northwest side of Fort Wayne was racially mixed and there were absolutely no problems there concerning race. In my opinion Fort Wayne is a racially diverse city and there are many very nice neighborhoods throughout all sectors of the city. The southeast quadrant of Fort Wayne is comprised of mostly African Americans but there are many nice homes there. $200,000 will get you a pretty nice home almost anywhere in Fort Wayne. I think you will feel welcome wherever you go there. Fort Wayne is a great city and is represented by about every race on earth. If I were you I would not hesitate to move there. The city has great schools, good restaurants, and many nice city parks. I moved to Florida when I retired but I do miss the diversity that I experienced in Fort Wayne. I think you need not worry about moving to Fort Wayne.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:54 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_girl32 View Post
I'm a African American divorced single mom with a 4 year old planning to buy a home in Fort Wayne. I'm originally from DC however I'm currently residing in Toledo. I've Lived in Toledo for about 2 years and actually like it. However I can buy a much nicer home in Fort Wayne at the same cost (cheaper property taxes too).

As I get closer to finding my new home I'm becoming increasingly worried about racism and hate crimes.

Should I worry? Are there any areas that are more tolerate to people of color in FW?

PLEASE KINDLY ADVISE!!! I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks in advance!!
To get a true perspective, you should ask a black person about racism in Ft. Wayne. The vast majority of white people don't usually see racism towards blacks unless it's just really obvious.

Ft. Wayne is about 16% black
Allen County is about 12% black
Ft. Wayne Metro is about 10% black.

All of the Indiana counties that border Allen County are less than 1% black. Not sure about the Ohio counties that border Allen County, but my guess is they have about the same percentage of blacks as the Indiana counties.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:23 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,007 times
I'm black, single, likely moving to FW in a month and more worried about the crime/ghetto behavior--especially around the apt complexes--than I am about potential racism tbh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
View detailed profiles of: