Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2007, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 10,456 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to the Ft. Wayne area very soon. My husband works in Pierceton. I've never lived in an actual neighborhood (we've always been in the woods or in the country in Ohio) but I'm considering it for my kids. Are there any older or historic areas of Ft. Wayne that would be fun to live in? with decent schools? We're looking for an artsy neighborhood that values education and culture. I know the Northwest Allen and the Southwest Allen schools are both supposed to be very good, as are the Leo Schools. Not having ever lived in a neighborhood I'm afraid I might go into shock if I move to a development. There seems to be lots of developments in those school districts but I haven't been able to find any older neighborhoods. I know...my kids would love living in a development but I thought I'd give the older neighborhoods a shot first.
I don't know much about Fort Wayne community schools. Any stand-outs? Any good private schools?

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 12:52 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
The Canterbury school in Ft. Wayne is very good and very expensive. There are also several Catholic and other parochial schools to choose from.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:03 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,985,269 times
Default advice re: Fort Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by josie u View Post
My family is relocating to the Ft. Wayne area very soon. My husband works in Pierceton. I've never lived in an actual neighborhood (we've always been in the woods or in the country in Ohio) but I'm considering it for my kids. Are there any older or historic areas of Ft. Wayne that would be fun to live in? with decent schools? We're looking for an artsy neighborhood that values education and culture. I know the Northwest Allen and the Southwest Allen schools are both supposed to be very good, as are the Leo Schools. Not having ever lived in a neighborhood I'm afraid I might go into shock if I move to a development. There seems to be lots of developments in those school districts but I haven't been able to find any older neighborhoods. I know...my kids would love living in a development but I thought I'd give the older neighborhoods a shot first.
I don't know much about Fort Wayne community schools. Any stand-outs? Any good private schools?

Thanks for any help!
I'd take a look in the SW-portion of SW Fort Wayne... there's some really cool areas like Devil's Hollow (the name doesn't inspire confidence, but the vicinity is absolutely beautiful). There's rolling hills and woods, and pretty much all the homes have a decent quantity of land along with some seclusion. Even the developments there aren't all that crowded and from what you described, it might be your best bet. I'd look around the areas around West Hamilton. If you want to be closer to highway 69 (which will make for quicker travel around FW at least north to south), then consider looking to live in one of the neighborhoods around exits 105 or 102. If you live nearby those exits/entrances, you'll find that traversing the entire city is a piece of cake.

In other areas of SW Fort Wayne there are some really new housing developments I would look into even though you will be very close to neighbors. I'm talking about the neighborhoods off of route 14 and county line road. What's neat about them are the neighborhood pools you'll be able to use along with proximity to great schools and the rest of Fort Wayne. Also, that is a newly developed area with new/nice homes.

In terms of "historical" areas in Fort Wayne - there aren't any locations that stick out except perhaps one of the older neighborhoods by McMillen park off of Lake Avenue... there's a couple streets with large/older homes with nice park areas in walking distance that you can tell are kept up nicely. If you live in that vicinity definitely take a look at the private school options.

FW has terrific private schools at affordable prices to middle class income couples (except Canterbury - that's the exception, very pricey for this area at 11k for the HS tuition). The public schools with the exception of SW and NW absolutely stink (right now as of this snapshot in time) compared to others nationally. In terms of Indiana they're about average. The SW and NW public high schools are above average and certainly a value-oriented choice for your children's education. The SW public high school is a stand-out in my opinion and is called Homestead.

I don't think you'll have a problem living in a neighborhood and actually I think you may enjoy it. It'll be real easy for you and your kids to make friends.

Feel free to take a look at my previous postings - I've written a lot about FW over the past 7 or so months. Also feel free to send me a private message if you have additional questions.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:24 PM

2 posts, read 9,286 times
Default Artsy Fort Wayne Community

Hello from Fort Wayne,

We are one of those families who also love the rural life. I grew up in rural but then became a city slicker. I love the rural and enjoy the county all the time and whenever.

We really don't have an artsy system in the school systems but what you will find is that all of the surrounding communities including Fort Wayne is a very artsy clan of families. If you had the opportunity of seeing and visiting all the Fall festivals that we have surrounding us would soothe your heart.

Our most popular artsy coming together is the Johnny Appleseed Festival which takes place in the Fall. THIS IS BIG and lots of fun. People come from states around.

You should find the school system as a whole in fairly good shape. The school systems are fighting for a lot of the same dollars need to build new schools, remodel existing school or the need for more modern equiptment.

The private schools in our community are all more costly with the hope for the families that their student will be better off in the end.

We placed our daughter in private schools for the first six years and found that there was not as much opportunity for the growth that we expected. It came across to us that one size had to fit all. I know you and your family are not looking for that type of schooling.

We then placed our daughter in to the public school system which we found to be a much better fit for her and her personalty at that time. In her Junior year, we took her out of the public school system and placed her in the Catholic High School which was exactly what we were looking for in the beginning. We wish that we would have found Bishop Dwenger her freshman year. Tough but kind and fairly accountable. I found that the schools prices were negotiable and saved dollars. The contact person at the school is Fred Tone and let him know that I sent you. Please mention my name when talking with Mr. Tone

I hope this was of value to you in your search!

Sincerely,

Last edited by domergurl; 03-28-2007 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: One more of these duplicates and I'm deleting all of them.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 7,140 times
Default Southwood Park and West Central

You don't have to live in the suburbs... Real estate companies steer folks to bigger commission houses outside the city proper.

If you're looking for artsy-fartsy in Fort Wayne, most people will point you to the West Central neighborhood, FW's biggest stand of grand victorian homes. There are alot of creative and artsy/fartsy folks who live there. Great neighborhood.

Southwood Park is another vintage neighborhood (1920s-1950s) that has many of the creative types in FW. This place looks like a neighborhood is supposed to... It has a great mix of homes from modest homes/yards to outright mansions. All of FW is very affordable compared to other cities, so you can get alot of bang for the buck. Maybe not as much as Pierceton, but alot more than Indy!!

Southwood Park is right next to Foster Park, the jewel in the city park system. St John's Catholic grade school and Bishop Luers HS are in the neighborhood. Other places to consider are Oakdale and Woodhurst (bigger yards!).

Other posters are right in saying FW is blessed with many excellent private schools. However, FWCS has some good options, too. Whitney Young elementary is the only nationally accredited (for the whole school) public school in the state. It feeds up to Weisser Park Elementary which is an Arts Magnet school extensive art, drama, vocal and instrumental programs are offered before and during the extended (longer than other FWCS). Negotiating public schools is simple a matter of being willing to ask questions, become involved and not simply send the kids to wherever they would walk to school.

BTW, both neighborhoods I mentioned just happen to have websites you can google...

Last edited by ftwayner; 04-27-2007 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: just wanted to add some info...

Old 09-03-2007, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 6,971 times
Smile To Josie U

Hello!
I recently lived / owned a home and was the Drama teacher for Weisser Park Arts Magnet School in Fort Wayne, IN.
We still own our home in the Williams Woodland historical neighborhood and we love that area! Also, there is Fairfield elementary within walking distance.

Weisser Park is a great arts magnet school! They focus on the arts and it's just wonderful! You do have to do a lottery to get in as there are so many partents trying to get their children into the school.

Over all, I love the area and also being a previous substitue school teacher traveling from school to school, Weisser Park and Fairfield were my two favorites!

Hope this helps and good luck!

Kim

Old 09-21-2007, 03:13 PM

36 posts, read 130,097 times
Great to hear that some people are happy with FWCS. My kids have done great at the FW city schools. (Northrop HS area) Many folks are steering you toward NW and SW Allen County, but those are suburban schools. Not too many "artsy fartsy" homes out that way, unless you are willing to build yourself or live in suburbs. The schools in the "burbs" are excellent and do score higher than city schools on all the ISTEP test, but FWCS has some wonderful choices! Weiser Park, Croninger, Memorial Park, Towles, and North Side HS and Snider HS have excellent reputations.
Here are some streets to drive down: State from Parkview Hospital to Spy Run (Near North Side HS)
Rudisil, near Broadway (Foster Park Area)., Taylor near Jefferson (not too far from Canturbury)
Lake St. from Anthony to Coliseum. Good luck!
Vance- Near Snider HS

Old 02-02-2008, 09:50 PM

1 posts, read 6,767 times
Talking FWS Neighborhoods

I was born and raised in Southwood Park. The original city neighborhoods in Fort Wayne are Southwood Park, West Central, Williams-Woodland, South Wayne, Oakdale, Illsley-Rudisill, and Forest Park (and Shawnee Historic District). A lesson on history, one that you may already know, is that from the mid 20th century and for all time of the city's existence before that (including the Canal Days and the historic Landing area), the affluent lived in the central part of the city, around the hospitals and businesses they owned and worked at. So, many mansions were built- brick roads for infrastructure, carriages for travel, heating houses by use of fireplace. Then, there was a reversal with the richest living in the suburbs and the inner part of the city becoming neglected and poorer; this is true nationwide, just history. The oldest neighborhood in Fort Wayne is the West Central neighborhood (and East Central Neighborhood- although East Central has lost many of it's original houses.) Many homes in West Central were built from the mid to late 1800's- and the detail of the houses is incredible- lots of stained glass, woodwork, stonework, etc. Carole Lombard, a famous actress from Fort Wayne with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, was born in West Central Neighborhood. I know her house is presently for sale for $250,000 and it has been used for a Bed and Breakfast- not bad if you've got the cash. Her grandfather's original house sits on the corner of Jackson and Wayne, and when built was considered to be the nicest residence in Fort Wayne, with eight fireplaces, balconies, and intricate woodwork and stained and leaded glass windows. (The carriage house must be 3000 sq feet, alone). Southwood Park is in the district of South Side High School, a school with a lot of history, including Shelly Long (T.V. Show Cheers) and Demarcus Beasley (Olympic Soccer Team Starter). Oakdale and Illsley-Rudisill Historic Districts will also be feeders to South Side, as would South Wayne neighborhood. Forest Park is a Northside High School district. West Central usually feeds into Elmhhurst, although depending on where you are located in the neighborhood, that could change. The Catholic high schools are Bishop Dwenger, on the far north side of the city, and Bishop Luers, on the far south side of the city. There are many catholic grade schools through out Fort Wayne. Also, there are many Lutheran grade schools and the Lutheran High School is Concordia, located on the North Side near IPFW. Canterbury is located on Smith road in the Southwest part of the city. It is a private prep school and very expensive- very good soccer team. I will tell you one thing, not saying drugs are good or bad- cause I believe that's the individual's choice, but you will find a heck of a lot more drugs- and hard drugs, too, out at Homestead than you would ever find at Luers- lots more money out that way and other factors, even though Luers is the private school. Other notable areas are Harrison Hill neighborhood, the Lakeside area neighborhood, and Woodhurst.

Note: Suburb additions are not neighborhoods, let alone city neighborhoods. If you have a cul-de-sac at your back, hit the road jack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne