Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 01:49 PM

62 posts, read 209,485 times

Advertisements

Oh, by all means, I admit this is all based on generalizations, but you cannot dismiss what I am saying though. I am speaking for the masses of my age demographic.

I agree with you on that Fort Wayne does have its appealing features: Cost of living and parenthood/family. What I am trying to get at is the total disregard of housing for the young adult as well as the lack of downtown development. Having a more balanced mock up of targetted demographic would best suit Fort Wayne..or any city for that matter, in the future.

Sorry to say, but percentages and generalizations are the only way to talk about this sort of topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 01:57 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakie View Post
Oh, by all means, I admit this is all based on generalizations, but you cannot dismiss what I am saying though. I am speaking for the masses of my age demographic.

I agree with you on that Fort Wayne does have its appealing features: Cost of living and parenthood/family. What I am trying to get at is the total disregard of housing for the young adult as well as the lack of downtown development. Having a more balanced mock up of targetted demographic would best suit Fort Wayne..or any city for that matter, in the future.

Sorry to say, but percentages and generalizations are the only way to talk about this sort of topic.
You sound like someone that is very similar to my age; and I can assure you that you are not speaking for me or the majority of people I know.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:05 PM

I don't think you understand what generalizations are or what they're meant for, but yes, I do not speak for everyone.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Wow. Conversation over. Have fun up there
I'm sorry if I offended you, but when I clearly said I was speaking in terms of generalizations you looked at it from a case-by-case perspective (ie. you and your buddies).

It seems as if our distinct backgrounds and experiences have formed different generalizations of our specific age group. (I would consider myself in the 20-25 age bracket)

Old 07-27-2009, 02:34 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakie View Post
but when I clearly said I was speaking in terms of generalizations you looked at it from a case-by-case perspective (ie. you and your buddies).

It seems as if our distinct backgrounds and experiences have formed different generalizations of our specific age group. (I would consider myself in the 20-25 age bracket)
You were not clearly speaking in generalizations, you were CLEARLY speaking as someone who climbed on their soapbox and expressed your opinion as fact. While I agree with your original intent, I really do, people who rant as though they are important enough for a city to cater to or face certain decline are whiners and nothing more. Furthermore, don't talk to me about "my buddies." I work in an office full of people in their mid to late 20's; and given the choice between living where I live (right off downtown Indy) and where they live (suburban Hamilton County); the overwhelming majority pick bland suburban HamCo.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:08 PM

Indianapolis and Fort Wayne are completely two different cities. If your co-workers wished to live downtown or in your area just at the edge/outside of downtown Indianapolis, it looks very feasible. I did some condo browsing in your area since someone else previously brought up Indianapolis, and there are quite a few options available. Where your co-workers live is their choice.

On the other hand, Fort Wayne has one condominium development, Midtowne Crossing from the 80s. Choices are limited.

Addressing your accusation of placing myself on a pedestal, all I have to say is that it is very apparent that city-living is much preferred for the MAJORITY of the 20-25 age group. (Note: It doesn't mean that they have to live there. It just means that they would rather prefer it over family-suburban living). However, I don't have any links for you to look at to support that claim. I don't want to waste my time finding shady data on the internet on that topic anyhoot. I THINK it's true and that's what I am assuming. Look it up if you have time.

I'm new to Indiana, so maybe it's an Indiana thing that the majority of young adults wish to move to the suburbs right away.

..and to get back on topic: All I want is some better housing options

Last edited by fakie; 07-27-2009 at 04:37 PM..

Old 07-28-2009, 03:21 PM

423 posts, read 1,248,263 times
Fakie, you raise some good points in that first post, but methinks thou dost protest too much. As Domergurl said, Fort Wayne is targeted to families with children, and they generally aren't seeking downtown living; they are seeking good public schools first and foremost. Fort Wayne's schools outside of the inner city generally have a strong reputation. So it's a tough sell, when most people who are looking for a young singles scene aren't remotely considering Fort Wayne as a city to live in; college grads who move there typically are already married and expecting (or already have) kids, so they look at school systems before anything else.

I think the condos at Harrison Square are meant to address the gaping hole of accommodations for young singles, but the city has a long way to go. One development isn't going to make downtown a destination, especially since city leaders in the past demolished so much of the really good urban architecture.

That said, I don't know Fort Wayne as well as I would like, but I've generally been impressed by how many older neighborhoods remain intact--far more than Indianapolis. The old city actually seems more pedestrian friendly than Indy, and for a city of its size, Fort Wayne has a large immigrant community and strong ethnic diversity, with a significant refugee population. And Fort Wayne is doing much MUCH better than many comparable Midwestern cities of similar size: think of Dayton, Toledo, Peoria, Flint, Gary, etc. The city survived the deindustrialization period remarkably well; now it has to reinvent itself as something more than Indiana's Second City. I think its diversity will be an asset in the long run (check out South Calhoun Street though I'm sure you already have) and the fact that, outside of the downtown, demolition of old structure was pretty restrained.

I honestly think Fort Wayne is a criminally underrated city.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalcedony View Post
I honestly think Fort Wayne is a criminally underrated city.
I totally agree.

(Update on Harrison Square Condos: 7 out of 34 available have been "bought")

Old 08-06-2009, 05:44 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,654 times
Default Fort Wayne

I just moved from Fort Wayne to Indianapolis a few months ago. What Fort Wayne needs is more things to do downtown like movie theaters, shopping, and condos. They have made a good start with Harrison Square, but without more retail downtown will not improve.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:35 PM

202 posts, read 762,940 times
Still, though, Fort Wayne has one of the most respected music scenes in the midwest, and the city should definitely try to build around that. Thank God The Journal Gazette now has Emma Downs bringing the lay person's attention to this facet of the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne