Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 07:53 AM

336 posts, read 927,706 times

Advertisements

We are looking at a possibly relocation to the area & have targeted the Southwest Fort Wayne area. My husband & I are natives to the Minneapolis suburbs and have lived here all our lives. I think the move would not be too much of a culture shock since it is still "midwestern" but I have a couple questions...

1. When I look at houses online it doesn't seem like anyone fences in their backyards! Is this not the case? We have 2 dogs and I'm wondering if these neighborhoods are "dog friendly"? Dumb question maybe! LOL

2. We have four children, two whom we adopted from Korea. Are you aware of many adoptive families in the area? Particularly multi-racial ones? We would like to make sure we stay in touch with the adoption community.

3. As I mentioned, we have 4 kids. They are 5, 9, 11 & 14. We'd like a neighborhood with lots of kids, the type of neighborhood where kids are out playing in the streets & you get to know your neighbors well. Any suggestions?

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 05:53 PM

562 posts, read 2,403,439 times
Hello mmhl, I once lived in Minnesota and my toes are still thawing! Its a beautiful place! I think living Southwest is a good fit for families who are from more culturally diverse area, who want great schools and a more upscale yet family feel. Your adoptive children should have no problems in SWAllen schools, which I find to be very progressive for a Midwestern area in terms of teaching racial harmony. My kids have minimal awareness of racial differences.

People like their wide open green spaces its true, but there are fenced yards, and electric fences are popular. There are lots of family neighborhoods that encourage kids playing outdoors: Whispering Meadows and Falls of Beaver Creek , Shorewood for moderate prices, Jonathans Landing a bit higher and Bridgewater or Chestnut Hills if you can go over $275 or so. Affordable, great homes in safe and peaceful neighborhoods is one of the benefits of living in the Ft Wayne suburbs.

There are lots of other good areas Southwest, but these I can vouch for. Good Luck!

Old 12-11-2009, 05:55 PM

Ps : Bridgewater is doggy-central, everyone is out walking their pooches!

Old 12-11-2009, 05:59 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
1. There are many homes in the vicinity with fences. More popular than physical fences are invisible fences these days. With a real estate agent showing you around you can learn the HOA rules of each neighborhood but I have yet to see very many with a no fence rule (just the very high end neighborhoods). Most allow for certain types of fences (perhaps 4 feet high max, or perhaps natural materials only).

2. I own a child friendly retail business and I have seen many families (young families) with multiracial adopted children. I will emphasize, many families the past 2 years. This is an increasingly popular thing to do - your children will not be out of place in SW Fort Wayne.

3. Any of the neighborhoods off of route 14 west of the 69 and many off of Covington Rd fit your description. Honestly, with the exception of some of the most exclusive neighborhoods I think you'll find most fitting your criteria for having lots of children for your children to play with. Nearly every family here has at least 2 kids, and many have 4... having children is somewhat of a hobby around here :-)

For other information on SW Fort Wayne feel free to browse my previous posts - in the past 3 years I've posted a lot.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:58 PM

Thank you both! That is very helpful! Fabumom, a slightly milder climate has me practically ecstatic. I am not one of those Minnesotans that loves the outdoors in winter!

Old 12-13-2009, 08:54 AM

Yes the winters are much easier than MN, but we get less winters sunshine. You will miss the bright sunny snowy days. Try to find a home with lots of natural light to compensate.

The summers are also warmer here, but I prefer that. MN summers are a little cool for me.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:33 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
I have to be honest about the multi-racial family question. I grew up in southwest Fort Wayne and went to SW Allen schools the whole time. Homestead is not the most racially excepting school in the world. I am half black and half white and I was ridiculed by the white kids and the black kids for not acting "black enough." I don't know if this is exclusively something that happens in Fort Wayne, but I am sure it is not. When my family moved to Indianapolis, my new school did not have this problem at all. This problem did not only happen to me though. I noticed that there was a stereotype against Asians and Indians based on their grades, so if they did not get straight A's, they were made fun of for being a "dumb Asian" and if they did get straight A's, they were your "typical Asians" and still got made fun of. I could keep going on about how kids at Homestead perceive people of different cultures to be, but there is not a point. All I know is that it was a problem for me and many other kids at the school.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:29 PM

wh15395-

How long has it been since you graduated from Homestead? I understand what you are talking about and the "positive Asian discrimination" was something we actually were counseled on prior to adopting. Kids who are Asian are often are expected to perform well & actually miss out on extra help they need.

How big was your class size & how many Blacks and Asians were there would you estimate? I appreciate your honesty.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:53 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhl View Post
wh15395-

How long has it been since you graduated from Homestead? I understand what you are talking about and the "positive Asian discrimination" was something we actually were counseled on prior to adopting. Kids who are Asian are often are expected to perform well & actually miss out on extra help they need.

How big was your class size & how many Blacks and Asians were there would you estimate? I appreciate your honesty.
I was done at Homestead three years ago, so not too long. I would say that it was probably about 5% Asian and 5% Black.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:23 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I was done at Homestead three years ago, so not too long. I would say that it was probably about 5% Asian and 5% Black.
I don't disagree with anything you've said. Your observations in fact correlate with my observations over the past few years. The multiracial adoption trend in this vicinity is rather young (and as such the families and kids are young), and the influx of folks from India and Asia has only just stepped up over the past 7 or so years. All that said, young multiracial families relocating to SW Fort Wayne will be pleased to see not just diversity but increasing diversity of this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne