Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2009, 07:39 PM

14 posts, read 61,208 times

Advertisements

Excuse me for taking up a slightly touchy subject of school rankings/comparison etc. I have been looking into greatschools.net and trying to determine which schools are the best at Elementary/Middle and High School levels. I know everybody will say that Canterbury is good at all levels but the real question is it really that far ahead of Homestead Middle & High School? I see on Canterbury's website (canterburyschool.org/) that a lot of their grads are going to Ivy League and comparable Universities, which I believe is the only means available to determine if the school is good or not. Can Homestead or any other Public School in Fort Wayne claim that kind of record and if yes then which?

Of course people always say that what matters is what you do with kids at home but how about you do at home and the school also does at school and then does it stack up as a home run? Basically is the investment in Canterbury really worth it in terms that do the kids at Canterbury have an edge when it comes to top university admissions, and maybe also overall personality development? What really are the results from the top Public Schools in Fort Wayne?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,247 times
What did you decide - and what resources did you use for your research? I am asking the same question and my daughter starts Kindergarten next year

Old 01-06-2010, 01:54 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,753,878 times
isn't caterbury a private school while homestead is public?

Old 01-06-2010, 02:34 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,988,384 times
I looked into the same thing this past summer for my Kindergartner. Fort Wayne's Canterbury is a great private school but the price for the lower school is absolutely outrageous. $14k for a Kindergartner (when all the fees are tallied up) is out of this world stupid in my opinion unless that sum of money is really no object for you and your family annually.

Now regarding High School - I can only tell you that the reality is that you won't see more than perhaps 1-3 Seniors from Homestead (if that) go on to an Ivy League college/university from any graduating class. By comparison, you can see from Canturbury's marketing materials a significant percentage of each graduating class go on to Ivy League or 1st tier college programs. That said, what you don't know is how many of those children were accepted to those schools because they were legacy children (their parents went to Harvard or Yale, etc, so they gain acceptance pretty easily as the children of former graduates).

Lastly, Homestead High School is a great school and parents need to realize that. A lot of very successful/wealthy Fort Wayne-based Doctors/Lawyers/Business Owners actually graduated from there. Many of my friends are included in that group, and none of them would ever say anything bad about Homestead. In fact I've a friend who is among the wealthiest in Fort Wayne, and guess where he sent his two children? Yeap, even with money being no object, he and his wife felt that Homestead High School was an awesome educational value.

My advice for anyone comparing schools is to understand that sites like GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community are useful tools, but that is it. The best thing you can do is to actually tour the schools and ask a lot of relevant questions to the admin.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:39 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,609,060 times
No, Homestead can not even touch Canterbury in academics, and if your child takes all of the accelerated classes at Homestead, they will still get into a good college. But even the high level classes at Homestead are not as good as the regular classes at Canterbury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne