Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2010, 05:38 AM

2 posts, read 3,305 times

Advertisements

I just registered so I can make a new thread that I hope to get a lot of responses to. I might be getting a job soon in Fort Wayne and I live in Peoria, 5 hours away. Although I'm not a big downtown clubber, I do like the idea of being able to go downtown and party if I am in the mood. I like that Main Street has a lot to offer (slightly less now because of the recession). I like chill bars with neon lights to dance clubs with dance lights and a variety of music. But I read that usually on Friday or Saturday nights that it is pretty hard to find a bar with a happening night life, and if you do it's by chance. Is that true? I'm 27 so I want to see people my age, etc, since I'll have no friends if I do move. Peoria has 120k and Fort Wayne has double that, how is it that the downtown night life is hurtin? I don't mind a bland week but sometimes just gotta have some stimulation and see alot of people. Is there an equivalent "Main Street" in Fort Wayne or something similiar? I'm expecting my hunches of blandness are correct.

Is there anything else that fun to do in Fort Wayne? Also, any scenic outdoor places to go on walks? Any frisbee golf courses or volleyball courts? How about bike trails for trailblazing? Any challenging trails? Fishing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 10:39 AM

625 posts, read 1,810,994 times
Well first of all, the downtown nightlife isn't spectacular compared to some other cities. However, it isn't the worst by any means. The downtown has actually grown through the recession and with the completion of the new baseball stadium in the heart of downtown, more activity will soon spur. But of course, we have this stupid recession that is delaying the process substansially.

Fort Wayne is double the size of Peoria for one primary reason, it is heavily suburban. What I mean by this is that many people choose to live outside the city and commute downtown, however, they are still counted in the census because their property was annexed back in the early 2000s. Hence, that is why the population at the 2000 census was 205k and now it is just over 251k, within 10 years. Fort Wayne is also growing modestly for a midwestern city.

There areas you would want to look at to move would be Southwest, Northwest, or Northeast Fort Wayne. There are also some nice areas closer to downtown that might suit you well and established neighborhoods. DO NOT MOVE TO THE NORTHEAST SIDE OF FORT WAYNE. This area has not grown any in the last 20 years and is infested with gang activity. Believe it or not, Fort Wayne had 25 murders last year (2009) and 21 occurred in the northeast side of town. Basically Fort Wayne is a very safe city if you stay away from that part. But you won't have any trouble because that area is really small and you won't have to travel through it at all if you don't want to.

When you say scenic, are you talking about nice looking areas or like hills, terrains, and that sort of thing? As far as scenic, the most scenic you are going to get out in Northern Indiana is the golf courses. It is relatively flat in this area. The parks department has some nice parks in the city, some downtown, some out in the suburbs. Fort Wayne is a very family-oriented community so that is why most of the activities occur outside of the downtown.

Hope this helps! Post more questions if you need more information.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:23 PM

14 posts, read 39,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr18 View Post
DO NOT MOVE TO THE NORTHEAST SIDE OF FORT WAYNE.
Did you mean to say "Southeast side of Fort Wayne"?

Old 02-05-2010, 06:29 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
You must mean the southeast side. Anyway one of the biggest clubs in the Midwest is Pierre's, but it is not downtown. Downtown doesn't have much to do at night, but it is getting better. There are trails that are expanding to the Southwest side of the city, and then there are trails around the parks downtown. Also, if I remember right there may be a Frisbee Golf course at Foster park.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:53 PM

Yes what I meant to say was the southeast side.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:39 PM

62 posts, read 209,548 times
I'm sorry to say but Fort Wayne offers nothing but slim pickings of what you're looking for pertaining to weekend/nightlife scene. I am a recent college grad who just moved here and am disappointed in that respect, but luckily, it's not too high on my priority list.

Also, in all honestly, pierre's is way too big for its weekly turn out. It spread itself too thin with all the separate "themes" and bars.
Note: This is all my opinion

Old 02-06-2010, 12:17 AM

Fakie, you are right in a couple of ways. Fort Wayne is definitely more of a family oriented city. Granted, Piere's is the 3rd largest bar in the Midwest, but it does attract the, for the lack of a better term, 'trashy' individuals. Not to say that all of the people are trashy who go there, because i have been there a couple of times. However, if you are ready to settle down, the suburbs will definitely treat you well!

Old 02-11-2010, 11:25 AM

61 posts, read 174,219 times
Columbia Street was a favorite of mine when I was your age. It's a great place to hang out with friends or meet new ones. At 27, you will find tons of professional people your age at Columbia St.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,239 times
to get an idea of the the downtown area you might register to get the weekly email from the Downtown Improvement District for awhile they list all the happens for the week
Downtown Improvement District - Downtown Retail Holds Its Own in 2009 While Allen County Sales Tax Receipts Drop Almost 7% there's a newsletter sign up in the bottom right of the page

it's just a suggestion!

Old 02-19-2010, 02:22 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,533 times
To be honest, both Peoria and Fort Wayne wont have a lot of weekend nightlife that you would find in larger cities. Please dont set your expectations too high if you come from a large city. You would have to travel to Chicago, Indianapolis, Detroit or Columbus to find the 'big city' ammenities. But that doesnt mean Ft. Wayne isnt a nice city. Yes, it has 'grown' alot, with all its anexations since 2000. Yes, its only a mid-sized city. And yes, its a good place to raise a family and is very affordable. But its best asset and almost only saving grace is being in-between Indianapolis, Chicago, Cincy, Columbus and Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne