Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 03:58 PM

55 posts, read 179,904 times

Advertisements

I only hear negative things about this kind of backwoods-y area within the city limits of Fort Wayne. Is it true they just got sewage in the last few years? I also hear it is a hotbed for radical neo-Nazi groups. Has anyone been there? Can anyone tell me what the deal is with this community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 04:13 PM

65 posts, read 168,847 times
What is River Haven is that the same as New Haven? I don't live there just looking for a place to move in Fort Wayne. Thanks.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:08 AM

625 posts, read 1,810,033 times
River Haven is more of a neighborhood within the outskirts of Fort Wayne, close to New Haven by the river. It is considered lower income and to an extent, poverty. It would be similar to a trailer park that is rundown that you would see in major cities. As for looking for places to move to in Fort Wayne, you can't really go wrong as long as you stay out of the southeast side.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:52 AM

65 posts, read 168,847 times
Thanks for the info!

Old 05-24-2010, 09:03 AM

470 posts, read 1,155,038 times
It's a poorer area in a poor town.
Also it's largely going to cease to exist due to the Maysville extension running through it.

Probably need to look elsewhere for a place to live,OP.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:11 PM

3 posts, read 14,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
It's a poorer area in a poor town.
Also it's largely going to cease to exist due to the Maysville extension running through it.

Probably need to look elsewhere for a place to live,OP.
Understatement of the year!

Frightening, would be more accurate. Lived on the North side of Fort Wayne for years and heard horror stories from my mom who was secretary of the Middle School for that area. Decided to take a drive through the area... It literally looks like the New Orleans slums- post Katrina.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:20 AM

470 posts, read 1,155,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaNomad View Post
Understatement of the year!

Frightening, would be more accurate. Lived on the North side of Fort Wayne for years and heard horror stories from my mom who was secretary of the Middle School for that area. Decided to take a drive through the area... It literally looks like the New Orleans slums- post Katrina.
"Understatement?"
Have you been to New Orleans before or since,Katrina?

Riverhaven is hardly the worst area of Fort Wayne (drive over on Creighton.Winter or Pontiac streets some time.)
As I said,it's a poor area in a town that sadly has a number of them

Old 06-02-2010, 06:55 PM

625 posts, read 1,810,033 times
All cities over 250k are going to have poor areas of the city. It just a fact that comes with a large population. From my experience, Fort Wayne does decently well for having only minimal areas of poverty and crime.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:34 PM

55 posts, read 179,904 times
so does nobody know if there is any validity to all the urban legends of Klan rallies, snake churches, and moonshine stills on the banks of the Maumee River?

Old 06-04-2010, 01:19 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
I've only heard things from long-time 2nd and 3rd generation Ft. Wayne residents. I was told by one of them this year in fact... "What's River Haven?... well have you seen the Movie "Deliverance"?... it's an area of Ft. Wayne like that.. ummm perhaps a bit worse."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne