Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2007, 09:02 PM

26 posts, read 157,420 times

Advertisements

D Magazine article on Southlake, and how it's perfect. It's a pity I can't post the magazine cover here; I saw it on the stand in Walgreen's last night..."Why you should hate Southlake"..."Their kids are smarter, richer, and better looking than yours" or some such nonsense. ::::big eye roll here:::::

Southlake: Welcome to Perfect City, U.S.A. | Articles | D Magazine (http://www.dmagazine.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=MultiPublishing&mod=Publi shingTitles&mid=7155F7796F354F21B1183937D847D6DF&t ier=4&id=2E4662E89091450EA6D4A0FF01296094 - broken link)
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 05:44 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
there are many people in Southlake who are very upset/angry/po'ed about that article as well--feel that it plays into all the stereotypes of what yuppiedom Southlake is--problem is most of the evidence points to those same stereotypes as being actual factual---of course everyone want to be an "individual" and not a stereotypical person....
think D will get lot of flak about that--my realtor told me she had a client coming in on a relo visit this weekend who heard about the article and said she did not want to see anything in Southlake because they were "football mad" and she is much more interested in academics...the fact that they have over a 95% college-acceptance/attendace rate did not seem to interest her...and let's face it---people today envy most of the time and not admire people in this demographic---give me what you have but with pref rights--there is lot of animosity when you have been laid off or are working 2-3 part time jobs, or have kids who are struggling in school...

Old 08-31-2007, 08:49 AM

35 posts, read 175,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GibboK View Post
Hi all - we're moving to the Southlake / Colleyville area in about 1 month from Australia! We are so excited but also incredibly freaked out - it's a big move. I'm curious if anyone can help me with commute times. We don't know yet if we'll be in Ft. Worth or Dallas, so part of the allure of these two areas is that it is centrally located. Do you know what the commutes would be from both areas to D & FW? I looked at another website that said that it takes less time to get to both D & FW from Southlake than Colleyville - how can that be? On a map Colleyville looks closer...is there a problem with freeway access?
Freeway access is quicker in Southlake. The commute time will be 35-45 minutes to Dallas or FW.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:45 PM

Supertexan--don't think you can make a blanket statement that Southlake is closer time-wise to Dallas or FTW---
I think it all depends on where you start in either town and what time of the day you are traveling...
we live just south of the Colleyville border at one point in Bedford--it takes my husband about 15-20 min normally to get into downtown FTW where he works and much longer leaving from home to get into downtown Dallas... if we were living in the northwest part of southlake--north of 114 close to Denton County line --then he could not get into FTW within 40 -60 min ...114 in the morning is not an easy commute to 121 into 183...and getting into Dallas on 114 or GBF is not an easy commute either...
Because Colleyville is closer to 183 and 183 is the easier way into FTW and depending on where in Dallas, even into Dallas, I would say that Colleyville is the easier to get to FTW and Southlake probably to Dallas but there is no clear-cut winner...

Old 09-18-2007, 04:45 PM

4 posts, read 14,218 times
Default Need location advice, also!

Our family will be moving, too, from St. Louis (hmm, that was a toughie!) to the Dallas area. The office will be in Plano, and we are looking hard at Colleyville and Southlake. We have 4 children, 2 elementary school age and 2 pre-school ages. Schools are very important, as well as a good/great sense of community. We live in an "middle to upper" socioeconomic area, there are alot of what I'll call "real" people and some who think they are completely in another level of the caste. We have a mixture of working moms and stay-at-home moms. Our neighborhood is, fortunately, one of the ones where homes are sold prior to being on the MLS. I'm having a difficult time finding homes in the $400 to $650 range with 5 bedrooms, where all 4 childrens bedrooms on the 2nd level - oh, my husband desperately wants a pool, too! Any and all advice about neighborhoods or tricks to reading the listing details are welcome! Thank you in advance!

Old 09-18-2007, 05:37 PM

48 posts, read 291,549 times
You could get a 200k house here in NRH, bank the other 200k for the toddlers college fund and still have shopping, good schools, and reasonable proximity to downtown (ft worth that is).

Old 09-18-2007, 05:39 PM

colt357_2000, what does 'NRH' stand for? Thanks!

Sorry - just figured it out - North Richland Hills. Thanks again!

Last edited by st.louis; 09-18-2007 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: figured it out...

Old 09-18-2007, 07:13 PM

Default Still no luck

I looked at several homes listed in NRH, unfortunately, there seem to be none with 5BR; 4 on the second level, and no pools. I've been searching for homes on-line for about a month, and we are supposed to travel to look at homes next week! Any neighborhood names or inside tracks would be GREATLY appreciated...

Old 09-18-2007, 11:07 PM

47 posts, read 211,303 times
I live in Southlake and my office is in Richardson. It is a terrible commute...both ways. I'm finally able to telecommute, and it has given me back over 2 hrs a day! If you or your husband will be working in Plano, you might want to consider other areas as well.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:11 AM

STLOUIS--I live in Bedford which borders Colleyville--you might have a chance to find a 5 bd home there but they are not that common in the lower price range you are using--and while Colleyville can have neighborhoods that are down-to-earth I also know people who live there and think their neighbors are "stuck up" and place far too much emphasis on showy life style...

there are some wealthy people in Colleyville/Southlake and some people who desparately want you to think they are wealthy---but that trait is not unique to Colleyville/Southlake or TX...

Regarding the commute---it would be cruel to make your husband drive to Plano daily--that is a horrible commute especially since he would be facing rising sun in monring and setting sun in afternoon--YUCK....people probably do it but WHY--even though Southlake and Colleyville seem to have the qualities that are important to yu and your family--I think you and your husband could be just as happy if you lived on the other side of DFW and he was closer to work...and was able to spend more time with family and be more available for things like school activities/programs...

I have friend whose son-in-law lives in Colleyville and he has taken a new job with company that is in Farmer's Branch--about half way to Plano--his commute is bad--about 35 min a day on a good day each way--and he goes 183 to George Bush--totally avoids the 121-635 crush...driving to Plano would probably be an hour+ each way and more during bad weather days....

In addition to Plano itself if his job was in the southern part of Plano yu might look at Richardson or areas of Dallas like Lakewood--Dallas ISD has some good schools -- Frisco is burgenoning and people have good things to say about the schools--might even consider Rockwall area---

just think location to work in this HUGH metroplex can make or break the happiness over a move and should not be discounted...

plenty of people on this board post about the qualities of good schools and community life in Dallas county
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth