Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2010, 09:17 PM

216 posts, read 444,501 times

Advertisements

What's your favorite Fort Worth neighborhood and why?

I was doing some business in Fort Worth today and was driving through an old neighborhood I used to live near. It's the area south of downtown around Magnolia, Rosedale, Hemphill, and so forth. For the longest time it was so run down there wasn't even a reason to go anywhere near it. Now, it seems as if a gentrification of the area is taking place, and I really like the feel of it. It feels to me a lot like the Bishop Arts district does in Dallas, just very hip with a cool, urban grit feel to it. I have a lot of fond memories from that neighborhood when it wasn't as nice and before there was a Yucatan Taco Stand and other cool places to go nearby. I think it's my favorite neighborhood in all of Fort Worth right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 11:58 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
I'm not a Fort Worth resident, but I had to comment because we just spent last weekend at a B&B on May Street. I recognize the streets you mentioned. Very gritty neighborhood, but yes there was gentrification. This art event was going on Saturday: It's time for Arts Goggle in Fort Worth | Mom2MomDFW.com (no I don't read mom2mom, just the first hit from search) so people were stopping by the B&B to share stories and even display goods for sale. Interesting neighborhood to say the least. We enjoyed it.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:07 PM

19 posts, read 38,807 times
I love the Berkley neighborhood, west of 8th, east of Forest Hill, and south of 30. Older houses that have been kept up very nicely. I have a friend who lives in that neighborhood and I always loved going over to her house just to drive through the neighborhood and look at the houses. I also greatly enjoy the Rivercrest area for the same reason.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:14 AM

471 posts, read 807,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJohnZ View Post
I was doing some business in Fort Worth today and was driving through an old neighborhood I used to live near. It's the area south of downtown around Magnolia, Rosedale, Hemphill, and so forth. For the longest time it was so run down there wasn't even a reason to go anywhere near it. Now, it seems as if a gentrification of the area is taking place, and I really like the feel of it. It feels to me a lot like the Bishop Arts district does in Dallas, just very hip with a cool, urban grit feel to it.
I just retired from the military and am moving back home to Euless after 24 years. I grew up in Broadway Baptist Church and will be going back again. I believe it's in the same area you describe? I remember the church was basically surrounded by the ghetto. It was like you were going back in time 80 years. It it really that nice now?

Old 10-21-2010, 12:13 PM

165 posts, read 396,754 times
The area around Broadway Baptist Church is still in transition but steadily improving as is most of the near Southside. Unfortunately, a lot of the historic homes in the area have disappeared in the past decade but the Telephone Building and old high school have been adaptively reused. New apartment and condo projects abound and Magnolia Avenue has been greatly improved from the old days. A bright spot is the Fairmount Historic district west of Hemphill but Hemphill itself remains pretty marginal.

My wife and I have lived in the Samuels Avenue neighborhood northeast of downtown since 1989 and cannot describe all the major changes made in our neighborhood since that time. When we moved here and bought our historic 1889 house, it was a scary neighborhood with frequent gunshots and many gang graffiti tagged buildings and homes. (even our own garage got tagged) Now, the most expensive condo project in Fort Worth-Villa De Leon-as well as other new upscale condos and apartment projects dot the south end of our street. (near Charles E. Nash elementary which is now an exemplary recognized school) The neighborhood has been rebranded as "Trinity Uptown" and stands to experience even more positive changes once the Trinity Vision-Town Lake project is completed in the next decade. The historic homes north of Pioneer's Rest Cemetery (the city's oldest cemetery in Fort Worth's oldest neighborhood) remain; our neighborhood's oldest home from the 1870's is now beautifully restored and elaborately jazzed up for Halloween currently. If you haven't seen Samuels Avenue for a while, come by and you will be pleasantly surprised. Where people were once afraid to walk even during the daytime, now joggers and couples with toddlers in strollers ply the old sidewalks in the evenings. So, I have to submit Samuels Avenue-Rock Island as my favorite FW neighborhood although there are many other older neighborhoods in the city that I appreciate as well.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,961 times
Vintrest, thank you for the wonderful descriptions. I'm seriously considering relocating to the Ft. Worth area, and your posts are helping me tons!

Old 10-21-2010, 05:20 PM

55 posts, read 146,168 times
Another vote for Berkeley. Great neighborhood. Close to TCU, zoo, shopping, restaurants, museums, parks, library, etc. You can't go wrong.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:28 PM

165 posts, read 396,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethgould View Post
Vintrest, thank you for the wonderful descriptions. I'm seriously considering relocating to the Ft. Worth area, and your posts are helping me tons!
You're welcome! You'll find Fort Worth to be the biggest small town you've ever been in-compared to our larger neighbor to the east, things here are a little slower paced and our people, for the most part, tend to be welcoming and friendly. We are known as a city of Cowboys and high culture, an interesting blend of contrasts that combine for a unique urban lifestyle. After living in the FW area since the mid-1980's I've noticed quite a few folks who shared your relocation thoughts and once they arrived here, decided to stay and make Fort Worth their new home. The only caveat these days is the job situation-compared to a couple of years ago, it is definitely a lot weaker but jobs are still available in different fields, especially healthcare and for those with special skills and work experiences. Best to scope out the job situation before relocating, but if that aspect is ok, you should be pleased with your decision.

As for Berkeley, it is a fine neighborhood of beautiful quality built homes from before WWII. I'd also highly recommend looking at nearby Mistletoe Heights and the Forest Park-TCU area. Any of these mature urban neighborhoods areas have long time residents who would proudly place them in the favorite city neighborhood category. Our beautiful older city neighborhoods are one of Fort Worth's most important assets. Housing prices here, for the most part, are still average or below average compared to other cities of similar size. Best wishes on your search for a future Fort Worth home-now is an excellent time to begin that search.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:18 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamersk View Post
I love the Berkley neighborhood, west of 8th, east of Forest Hill, and south of 30.
I think you meant to say Forest Park Blvd. Berkeley is a nice neighborhood. I live in the Ryan Place neighborhood just southeast of Berkeley, and it's quite nice too. Magnolia St is about a mile north of me, and it's 'gentrified' quite a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth