Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2011, 02:36 AM

119 posts, read 348,005 times

Advertisements

Since we will be coming with just our vehicles and clothes, we will need to purchase new furnishings.
Its actually less expensive to buy new, than to ship our 'older' furniture.

I have found a warehouse/store, online, LUCY FURNITURE, that seems to have good deals.

Has anyone bought home furnishings from them?
It seems I can 'simply' furnish a house at a decent price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 04:56 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
Never heard of them. Have you heard of Ikea? They have a huge store in Frisco and will deliver, too.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:08 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
I was looking for an inexpensive game table to put in our game room after my husband bought a pool table last year and did not want to pay for the type of quality set that stores like Stacy's or Haverty's sells

tried consignment stores but that is really hit/miss depending on who turns in what one week to next
went online and found some furniture stores with game table sets in Dallas area dealing in inexpensive furniture and went to couple of them to check the goods

It all depends--is what I would say--which I know is not helpful
Some furniture might look substantial and well-finished in a photo and when you see it in person you can tell the joins are haphazard--there is little quality control--and it might not last having your 240 lb Uncle Harvey sit on it...

then we decided we would get more use from a TV nook and ordered two leather (not top quality) barrel chairs from Penneys--we got the TV stand from Best Buy where we got the big plasma flatscreen
Penneys can be good source for furniture--check their Internet site--they can ship to the store for smaller items and you pick up for reduced delivery charge if they don't have what you want in a store

I was helping a friend shop for new kitchen set when she was getting her kitchen redone several months ago
went to a store in NRHills that has low-cost funiture--some of it was not that bad and the guy said that they can order much more than they have room to show in their store
Canales is a furniture store that deals in low cost (relatively) furniture--they opened new location in Bedford and we went there to look--there were quality issues with the chairs rocking (uncomfortable/noisy on tile floor)she finally bought a breakfast table set at the Dinettes-Barstools location by Grapevine Mills mall
it seems pretty well made and was lower priced than ones at Ashley and Penneys--

Garden Ridge carries some chairs/tables--but again quality control is the issue

If you are still moving to FM area then NRHills is not that far to look--
if you want the name I can DM it--they have an Internet site but can't vouch for the types/styles they have on it

PS--I looked at that site--I did not realize it had local stores--
sure go there and look--what do you have to lose--their furniture could be good enough for what you want--I think MOST furniture is overpriced/high-markup---the problem is getting any furniture priced FAIRLY--
Ikea furniture is hit or miss to me--and you have to assemble most of it yourself and 95% is modern/contemporary styling which some people don't like

Old 05-18-2011, 07:56 PM

I will look into the stores online that you mentioned.

As long as I can get 'the basics' (bedrooms, family room and kitchen) furnished, the rest can come in time.
Lucy's has about 8 vendors they deal with.

Seems I can order all the basics, mentioned above, in one straight order, and at least have a place that is 'livable'.

This economy has ripped us apart, as it has many people.

We've lost over $300,000 in the last 4 years, (home equity and husband job loss, etc. ) So frustrating
after working 35 years, and seeing it slowly slip away.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:30 AM

I checked out Canales online, it seems they have a good selection.
Between Canales and Lucy Furniture, I should be able to simply furnish.

The IKEA looks like it would be good for kitchen items, home decor, curtains, etc?

Old 05-19-2011, 06:22 AM

I think Ikea gets good press and if you want to install a complete kitchen with products that are middle to low end lines fairly inexpensively Ikea can do that
but their textiles--curtains, placemats, etc--are not that great--they do look/feel "cheap" to me and they are relentlessly Scandanavian design and often I don't find that appealing
some of their kitchen utensils are fine and less expensive than places like Target--but again I think their flatware feels cheap--lightweight, handles are thin
but those are my perceptions--we bought our son a media cabinet for Christmas and when it was delivered there was damage from the delivery by Ikea--for the price it seems stylish and substantial enough
but he had waited to late to open/inspect/assemble it--so he had to live with it

Kohl's often has good sales on home products--and their linens like towels/bedspreads are good--so does Target--BBB also has wide variety of curtains/linens/kitchen products and can be priced as well or better than places like Target or Macy's--WalMart does not really have good selection of kitchen goods (to me)--the basics but lot of them have problems--like spatulas with plastic handles that get soft if they are left close to heatsource--
Ikea is located in Frisco and is more of a drive than I think you really need to make to get what are available closer to hand (it is about a 30-40 min drive for me)
Consider some stores like Ross or Tuesday Morning which sell directly what Overstock does on line--
you can get quality/low cost products there but it is hit/miss since there is no real "stocking" plan == what you see is what you get
you might not find enough curtains in right size/color to complete what you need or placemats/towels--
but there are many of them throughout the Metroplex and they can check other stores for stock (if they will--some of their help are not the most willing)

PS I have great deal of empathy for your situation--in the 80s my husband was terminated from job with o/g company in Dallas--when the oil companies were flushing out their employees across the US--he found it very difficult to find similar employment--worked on his own for several years at various jobs with varying income--I went back to work--we were just lucky to keep our house and maintain a relatively stable home for our kids--but if he had been at the age he is now when that happened--or even just few years older-- it would have been totally different story--
I give you/your husband lot of cred for doing what it takes to survive -- some people are just not that resilient

Old 05-19-2011, 08:23 PM

Thank you L2R ... If you don't mind me asking how old was your husband when your life turned upside down?

Did he go to any kind of school, for retraining?

My hubby is 57, and has been working since the age of 12. Seven days a week, sun up to sun down with his family at the time. All he knows is farming.

The company they built up, worked for, for over 35 years went under, about 3 years ago.
It kept driving us more into debt, (borrowing against the house to keep it going) till we had to let it go, as well as the house.

Thx for letting me share.
Our youngest is so confused, as am I.

How does a man start a new career at 57?

Old 05-19-2011, 10:44 PM

sorry I can't help you with that--
my husband did not retrain but tried to find a different line of work and was not very successful at it--went back into o/g and finally had someone who had worked for him give him intro to company he is working for now--17 yrs later--
he was 40 when he was laid off--and that was big problem in getting back into regular job offers--too much experience for most of what was on offer--
wish I could give you some better advice--
if your husband really only knows farming though this seems to be pretty urban environment for that work...

Old 05-19-2011, 11:34 PM

We shall see what the future holds.
A definitive in life - there is no predicting. Things happen that we
have no control over.

Sounds as though you and your hubby ... we are around the same age.

Hubby here is going to retrain and get into something, office like, that
he can do from home.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:58 AM

good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth