Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 02:19 PM

770 posts, read 1,798,738 times

Advertisements

Went to the Fort Worth Nature Center a few days ago and took the usual route from Dallas to Lake Worth via 183 and 820 in the mid-cities and Northeastern Ft. Worth. Besides the traffic being extremely heavy like it usually is along that route, I noticed a LOT of construction going on on 183 in Bedford and Hurst and then 820 in Haltom City and NE Fort Worth up to the interchange with 35W.

Is this a widening project? BTW, not complaining, just curious... If it is indeed a widening project, I would say that it is MUCH needed with the amount of traffic that the route carries, especially during evening rush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 03:33 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
yes--there are some businesses along the 183 frontage--west of the 114 diversion--that are going to lose their lots--be replaced with concrete for the easements/ramps

the starbucks that is on corner of precinct line and 183--the old Albertson's that has been closed for 2 yrs I guess--they are being torn down

it is going to get much worse--this is just the easy part so far...
you might consider coming in on 30--most of the construction for Super Bowl has been cleared away

Old 07-07-2011, 10:01 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,536,770 times
I was surprised at how many buildings had seen the wrecking ball already in the Precinct Line-183 area already. It will be good though, overall. That area has been a cluster**** for years.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:05 AM

277 posts, read 696,909 times
Yes... buildings meeting the wrecking ball:
  • Carpet One
  • Albertsons (almost gone)
  • Starbucks/T-Mobile
  • Burger King
  • Cici's Pizza
  • Possibly McDonalds
  • Marshalls building in Tartget parking lot
  • Texaco
  • Motel
  • Chevron
  • Starbucks (Bedford)
  • Jason's Deli
  • Chili's
  • On The Border
  • Razzoo's
  • Whataburger
I'm sure there are others (possibly QT on Westpark Way)
Hurstview bridge coming down any day now...

Old 07-08-2011, 08:03 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,891,175 times
The new North Tarrant Express...
About the North Tarrant Express (NTE) Project

820... heard that the new lanes will be some sort of managed toll lanes.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:26 AM

663 posts, read 1,725,337 times
I drive that area every day on my commute. The biggest hangup I see in traffic is around the sharper curves in the highway. I hope that when they redo that area, they straighten some of that out. If not, I'm afraid more lanes won't help that traffic much.

As far as losing commercial lots, much of that area is either abandoned or second-run retail. I don't think there will be a ton of impact. The biggest negative impact I've seen so far is a church that will practically lose its entire parking lot.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:04 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
you can be derrogatory about some of the retail in the Bedford=Hurst area but remember for every bldg that goes down people are losing their jobs--and might be having a VERY difficult time getting them back and this will be a big inconvenience for people who live/work in those areas and ate at those restaurants--shopped in those stores--went to those churches/drs' offices--whatever is being taken down...
YOU may not like them but I certainly did...at least some of them...and I don't know that having a HUGE freeway system with toll roads is going to give me as much satisfaction as some fried gator and a cold one at Razoo's

and after seeing the total MESS that they made when they "improved" the 820/183 merge several years ago--I would not put any faith that there will be a great deal of improvements in this road design--

Old 07-08-2011, 11:08 AM

663 posts, read 1,725,337 times
I don't think it's derogatory to point out that what is being torn down "so far" is mostly-abandoned or second run retail. It might be a year or more before they finally get to tearing down the Bedford side of construction.

Restaurants look to be taking the biggest future hit as I'm not sure whether the restaurants will relocate nearby or just take the money and run. I also doubt that "every" building that goes down will result in job loss. I know that Carpet One for example is relocating their outlet and plan to keep all current employees by either transferring them the new outlet or another nearby location. That might just be talk from Carpet One to keep the employees they have working the outlet, but I give them the benefit of the doubt.

I made no comment on liking the affected businesses or not. I'm just not taking the decision to improve the highway personally. Then again, I come from Atlanta where they did absolutely NOTHING to keep up with traffic demands. I'm personally happy to see my new state trying to keep up.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:25 AM

277 posts, read 696,909 times
I forgot to add that On The Border is planning to build a new building just behind the current one... They are hoping to have a smooth transition without having to shut down... Somehow I was told Chili's and Jason' Deli will only be closed for about a month. I just hate all the mature oak trees that have been bulldozed near Bell High School

Old 07-08-2011, 12:05 PM

770 posts, read 1,798,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwjeff View Post
I forgot to add that On The Border is planning to build a new building just behind the current one... They are hoping to have a smooth transition without having to shut down... Somehow I was told Chili's and Jason' Deli will only be closed for about a month. I just hate all the mature oak trees that have been bulldozed near Bell High School
I just hope that ALL of these businesses will be rebuilt and that most if not all of the current employees can keep their jobs when the new places open up. Also hope that in the end, all of this work ends up being worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth