Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:00 PM

13 posts, read 57,130 times

Advertisements

Where were all of these complaints when I was house hunting. I ended up with Grand & it has been a GRAND NIGHTMARE!!!! to say the least. Absolutely do not buy from them, their builder of year award was based on what? For the worst quality? Our house looks worse than the model home, why & how is that? Where are the builders who built those? Ive been calling to speak with president, he's busier than our US president he's still in a mtg , out of the office, those are the 2 messages I get.
We've given them oportunity to correct this poor work, now they created more damage, & now damage to our personal things. One of the head huys says we are not being realist, really? and why is that? because we expected a quality built home, that we have yet to receive?
How do I get a lawyer? We have called several lawyers they all direct me to other sites & lawyers & back to square one. I know there are lawyers who handle this type of situation because per couple of workers Grand is being seud by several homeowners.
We've even called news stations however noone will call back.
WE have all documentations, & lots of pictures lots of them.
Any direction, opinions is accepted & apreciated.
We are fed up with Grand & their excuses, poor craftsmanship & tired of all the time & money we have lost having to take off work to meet workers, who by the way "don't speak english" therfore we can not communicate, Really?!
We can not get that time back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 08:36 AM

118 posts, read 253,021 times
Agreed - DO NOT BUY A GRAND HOME. We've heard from many many people prior to buy our house and that's one of the reason why we did not even consider them. Their models look all grand, but when you really look at the homes they construct, it's poor quality.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from GRAND HOMES.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:51 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
I've been preaching this for the last 10 years. They certainly deserve their low customer ratings in JD Powers. What you see is not what you get (IMO)

To bad OP didn't come to CD and do a search about this builder before he purchased a home.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:39 AM

Yes, we are upset & extremely disappointed but if we can keep just one person from going thru what we have been & still going thru then my job is done! Crooked walls, incomplete stain & paint, uneven & inconsistent texture, cracked driveway & garage, damage side walk, compromised rafters, damaged cabinets to name a few but what's most disappointing is lack of professionalism, follow up with repair, touch ups & inconvenienced & 9 months later they are still in my suppose to be turn key ready home. Repairs are coming along but at what cost?we are here & have gone thru this for a reason, only God knows.
Pray bout your realtor & builder for direction.
Be aware & alert. I wouldn't take a chance on buying from Grand in any community.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:37 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Thanks for the update. This particular builder has a pretty bad reputation in the business and IMO the word needs to be spread as much as possible.

Wishing you the best, hope it all works out.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:46 PM

382 posts, read 420,908 times
Thank you. Best of luck to you.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:11 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4knowledge View Post
Where were all of these complaints when I was house hunting. I ended up with Grand & it has been a GRAND NIGHTMARE!!!! to say the least. Absolutely do not buy from them, their builder of year award was based on what? For the worst quality? Our house looks worse than the model home, why & how is that? Where are the builders who built those? Ive been calling to speak with president, he's busier than our US president he's still in a mtg , out of the office, those are the 2 messages I get.
We've given them oportunity to correct this poor work, now they created more damage, & now damage to our personal things. One of the head huys says we are not being realist, really? and why is that? because we expected a quality built home, that we have yet to receive?
How do I get a lawyer? We have called several lawyers they all direct me to other sites & lawyers & back to square one. I know there are lawyers who handle this type of situation because per couple of workers Grand is being seud by several homeowners.
We've even called news stations however noone will call back.
WE have all documentations, & lots of pictures lots of them.
Any direction, opinions is accepted & apreciated.
We are fed up with Grand & their excuses, poor craftsmanship & tired of all the time & money we have lost having to take off work to meet workers, who by the way "don't speak english" therfore we can not communicate, Really?!
We can not get that time back
I am a lawyer but do not deal in real estate law.

However, how long since you took possession of the home? Are you still within the warranty period?

I would send Grand Homes a certified letter with return receipt outlining your general complaints. Be sure to include your phone number. You may want to mention that if your home is not fixed then you will file suit using the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act (I am not sure that it applies; but it scares businesses since it provides for triple damages, etc. It is a broad Act, so probably does).

You may also want to file a complaint with the Texas Attorney General:

https://www.oag.state.tx.us/

Lots of informative links.

Note that a private attorney will probably charge you an hourly fee for suing Grand Homes; i.e., not a contingency basis.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:26 AM

We took possession @end of Aug 2011, once in &attempted to set up house is when we noticed uneven texture, crooked walls, bowed walls, compromised rafters, cracks in concrete floors, visible tape joints, stained smudge doors, unpainted areas to mention a few things, yes we are under warranty they, bonded builders notified Grand of all our concerns bad thing is in attempt to correct they have made things worse even damaging drapes, dinette set entertainment unit etc. We are now in June yes they are still iny house & garage replacing cabinets, fixing walls etc. Ball continuously drops & the owner, still in that meeting. No call back from him. Good thing is when it's done it will be right & we will feel comfortable selling it knowing it was done & inspected to our satisfaction. can't wait to get to unpack, settle, but also cant wait to sell it & find another builder.
I will write to BBB &follow up with info you have shared. Yes, the lawyer I did speak with who would handle case gave me some things to do but I also understood the fees. I wish this experience on noone, we had a better experience with our purchase of our older home everything was cosmetic simple fix.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:32 AM

29 posts, read 90,823 times
Nowadays anyone having anything built should hire their own 3rd party inspector to perform Phase Inspections as construction progresses from the dirt work until the papers/keys are transferred.

Many Texas builders don't even meet the barest minimum standards "code" and the code inspectors don't enforce these minimums even when presented with documentation from the manufacturers' that the way they allow certain materials to be installed is completely wrong.

Numerous municipality's, Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ)/building officials/building code enforcement personnel have completely ignored many "request for interpretation" or replied with that's the way we do it or we'll look at your information and take it under advisement.

AHJ work under an umbrella of sovereign immunity.
Many items will pass code inspections without repair regardless of what is presented to fortify the case/cause.
The main objective is to get 'em built, sold and on the tax roll
Fathom a guess where the funds come from to pay the AHJ, don't strain anything trying to reach your conclusion.

At the end of the day the consumer has the final say and anything not corrected immediately during construction will be an arduous task to have corrected once the ink has dried.

Best to the OP and others in their pursuit for justice

Last edited by ru4real; 06-04-2012 at 06:44 AM..

Old 06-04-2012, 06:34 PM

Thanks for your input. Obviously we were too trusting, although we were here daily & we stopped several things from advancing bc my husband is a licensed & skilled carpenter, yes they tried that's the way its done here in Texas, implying we had different expectations bc we are from up North, however we didn't budge on those things since we had walk away room, so they did things & produced things we inquired about.definite lesson learned hope to move forward enjoy the time we will be in the house without contractors &help anyone from going thru what we experienced
Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: