Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 07:25 AM

19 posts, read 79,921 times

Advertisements

We're looking into buying a house in Grapevine and wanted to know your opinions on air traffic noise on these 3 specific areas?

1. Glade Crossing Area (between 121/360, north of Glade Rd, west of airport)
2. The neighborhoods around Dove Park
3. The neigborhoods west of Gaylord Texan (around the Riversides)
4. I've also looked at the Mustang/Heritage area but it looks like air traffic might be worse there?

Also, is there a way to map out all the most common flight paths? Not just a specific flight or airline, but all the flights and which is the most common paths from a specific airport?

We went house hunting on a Saturday afternoon at 1 or so and we heard 4-5 planes in 20 minutes at a house once and now we go house hunting weekdays after work at 5-6 and almost never hear any planes at all, so maybe it depends on the time as well? If so, what's the highest plane traffic noise time so we should go at those times and see how the noise is?

Also, if there's any other pros/cons in living in the above neighborhoods, let me know as well!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 12:20 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
I live at Mustang/Heritage, and the only time we have airplane noise is if they are taking off to the north, which is quite rare.

Look at a map of DFW Airport. The noise comes from the runways, which primarily run north/south. There is one that sticks out NW, and is primarily used only for landing. You will not have any noise due west at Glade Crossing since there is no runway there. there. (that's the best neighborhood in Grapevine IMHO) You will have heavy noise around Grapevine Mills Mall as the main runways are there. The neighborhood by the Gaylord will have some noise, but not as bad as by the mall. Dove Park should have little noise, too.

If I can help more, just ask!

Old 06-17-2012, 10:59 AM

24 posts, read 50,354 times
1. Glade Crossing and Mustang/Heritage Areas are outside of the approachs to DFW and far enough from the airport to not have a problem.

2. I live in Dove Park and don't have a problem with noise, though from time to time I do hear an plane. Again Im not directly in the approach to DFW.

3. Gaylord Texan - is under the west side runway approach, I would stay as far west as you can.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:52 AM

15 posts, read 32,546 times
Grew up in Grapevine (1991-2005) and lived on the other side of 121 from Glade Crossing. What everyone above has said about the noise in different parts of town is pretty much accurate. However, I will tell you that even if you live close enough to the airport or a flight path to hear plane noise, it's something you'll get used to much quicker than you'd expect. I rarely heard planes from my house (in fact, it was a pretty strange occurence when we did hear planes on approach). Weirdly enough, I realized a few months ago that every apartment I've lived in since leaving Grapevine (5 places in 3 different cities) has been on a landing approach for the local airport. I guess spending 16 years so close to DFW has made ambient airplane noise a comforting feature somewhere deep in my subconscious. Once you've been here a couple months, airplanes shouldn't be a problem no matter where in town you end up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth