Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2012, 10:50 AM

756 posts, read 834,185 times

Advertisements

I am going to move to Texas in a few years. I could live in a slightly rural area, a county seat, a suburb, ... and I have not ruled out the possibility of moving to an inner city. My preferred counties is Denton County and Tarrant County.

I was born in Denton but Just about my entire life I have lived in dumb hick downs and unincorporated communities, of which are extremely isolated areas. It is extremely boring, there is nothing do to here, everybody is the same, and I don't have anything in common with anybody.

It is not even close to peaceful and cozy. In these extremely isolated rural areas I have lived in, I have been around lots of drama, drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, traffic violations, theft, violence, and murder. There are plenty of stupid idiot people but I don't think they could possibly be even stupider or more dangerous in an urban area.

I would like to move to where there is opportunity and civilization. I am pretty sure that there are many cultures in an urban area and there are better (and more) hospitals. (about four of them in 1 mile radius! ) universities, places to work, stores, better cell phone signal, cable Internet, both Coaxial and Fiber Optic ... and if I did not want to drive in traffic I could take bus, ... and also there is more and better TV stations. I have been watching the DFW stations since June 2009.

I am surprised that houses are for sale in Fort Worth for below $100,000.00 USD and some are for sale for below $50,000.00 USD ... Why? Aren't property values increased in an inner city? are they old houses? or is it a bunch of bad neighborhoods? As I have said in the other paragraph, I don't think it could be any worse in an urban area. I think I would survive. What happens in these crime infested neighborhoods? Would I be robbed despite of what little I have, and would I get killed? or do the criminals keep to themselves because they are too busy getting Stoned?

Any other advice? What things to do in an urban area? Are the people outgoing, friendly, or "real", ?

or are they just fake and nosey and just being polite?

but if they are friendly, what do they do?

If I do end up inside an urban area, I would live there for at least 15 years. I want to live there Just Because. ....just because it is Something To Do because there is nothing to do where I am now. But also I want to move to urban area because of the opportunity and civilization. And I want to compare urban area with rural area. I can not stress this enough: If I end up not liking urban area, I will NOT move back to my isolated hick towns and even more isolated unincorporated communities. I must live in Texas and as close as possible to an Interstate Highway. But if you could, please describe how scary and dangerous it is in an urban area. Thank you and have a Good Day.

Last edited by In_Correct; 12-29-2012 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: was not clear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 02:08 PM

165 posts, read 396,754 times
Wow! Where to start...I'm not so sure you need a moving van so much as a time machine that can take you back to the mythical Mayberry with its quiet population of friendly, innocent 1950's era folks. Generally, the more rural the town, the more friendly the locals are to their neighbors. But, as you noted, small towns today come with all the modern vices you mentioned as well as often a generous helping of boredom. Please keep in mind that you can still live in the largest of cities, even smack downtown, and still be constantly bored. Only you can make changes to make your life more interesting and that can happen whether you live 50 miles from the nearest neighbor or on a busy metropolitan main street. Some of your stated goals seem realistic and others somewhat unlikely. I sense you may be a younger person looking for better opportunities; there's nothing wrong with that.

However, the good life doesn't come out of vending machines or prepackaged over the Internet-personal satisfaction or happiness has to come from inside. Your stated parameters-Denton or Tarrant County-are really to broad to enable others to make helpful comments that are tailored to your personal needs and wants. First, before you relocate anywhere, you'll need some means of financial support; i.e. a job or career path unless you're one of those very fortunate individuals with a large trust fund account. Unemployment in the two counties you mentioned are about average compared to national statistics-a lot depends on your experience and the job skills you bring with you. I'd caution against just up and moving while optimistically hoping you'll land a job very quickly after your arrival. While that could happen, most likely it won't and it could take you weeks or even months to nail down a steady job depending on your prior experience, education, and skills. You wouldn't want to find yourself among the local homeless population after exhausting all of your resources.

You really need to take a methodical approach towards this anticipated move. Logically, having an income comes first so seeking, interviewing, and obtaining employment is the first step unless you fit into that narrow well-off category previously mentioned. Many national companies have a presence in both counties so that may be the first step in seeking employent. (checking out their career/employment websites or looking for a transfer if you're employed with a company that has a branch here) If you have skills in a unique or high demand category your prospects for finding employment are usually brighter but few companies will hire you sight-unseen. Assuming you are successful in your employment search (which will probably require you to come to this area after receiving an invitation, and then interviewing in person) Then you can look at your personal housing needs. Don't even think about buying a house or condo at this point-traffic in the DFW area can be a real bear at times (some might qualify that statement by adding "all of the time") so its critical to nail down a job location first and then look at nearby housing opportunities. As for pricing, you generally get what you pay for. Better, newer, neighborhoods command higher prices (even for rentals) than older, more marginal neighborhoods. But to recognize the marginal neighborhoods from the better ones, you need to live here for a while and establish residency as well as employment stability.

Inner-city living can be "cool" (my spouse and I live in a 125 year old home almost in downtown FW) and it is a residential trend nationally, but discussing that as it applies to Fort Worth or Denton in your case is way premature in my opinion. To accomplish your goals, you'll need a "game plan" that is realistic. If the best job you can find pays $12 an hour then you will be quite limited in your rental options and probably totally priced out of the house buying market. As stated, be realistic but keep your long-range dreams alive. You may have to "pay your dues" for a few years to get to that ideal situation you envision. Is there more to do here? (to avoid boredom) Again, that largely depends on what your interests are and your financial means. Since you seem to be familiar with our local culture, I think you may already have an idea as to what is available. Being friendly towards your (new) co-workers often opens up social doors. Enrolling in a local educational program or joining a group that shares your personal interests is another path to ending boredom. But you have to be motivated enough to take those steps. Nothing I could ever post here will do that for you. Should you wish to ask more specific questions and share more specifically what your needs and skills are, I'm sure you will be given good advice by some of our local readers. Good luck!

Old 12-29-2012, 05:01 PM

I assure you I am at least 110% both bored and miserable where I am now. Despite this, I am going to stay here in land for several more years. I am not going to rush like I have seen many people move. I want to plan this out, and be prepared. I have seen others move in a rush, and they end up in the exact same unhappiness, and also the exact same everything. I have done nothing, because there is nothing to do here. There is too many of gambling, government assistance, aren't educated but still have quite well paying jobs, and also numerous children (which they claim the government assistance) , and also they do many of what I have mentioned. I am not saying these people are completely anti-social (as in, they don't talk to ANYBODY) ... and they do talk amongst each other. At least 6 times per day I hear the exact same people engaging in conversation topic of cigarettes. If I could pick a goofy satirical tagline, I guess I pick "It's 11:00PM / 2300H on Saturday Night. Do you know where your cigarettes are and do you know what they are doing?" I resist the urge to say things like this to them. I refuse to believe that everybody everywhere else is like this.

....... but still I believe them to be antisocial, and I have no social skills and this is extremely embarrassing. but still wish to begin A New Chapter In Life or whatever, . I have many other skills. I think they are useless skills because just what could I do with these skills here in land?! I should attend University and perhaps obtain degrees. I could do this online but I should just conquer my fear of unknown. My useless skills include writing, drawing, photography, housekeeping, janitorial, useless trivial knowledge such as studying other cultures, geography, and history, especially related to technology and The Arts. ... also I am in the process of learning more useless skills such as how to program software and learn other languages. also I have business ideas and and ideas for inventions. I don't want to mention because people might steal my ideas. so there is a few of my useless skills.

I can do quite well with finances. I seem to stretch a dollar farther than a medieval torture chamber device. and of course I purchase in Texas (or ebay, wayfair, etc.) because of the large population in Texas, and things appear to be "done right", I guess this is why merchandise costs much less in Texas than in land. It was a Texas hospital which saved my life, University tuition costs less in Texas, .... etc.

I know I am going to like it in Texas. I am not exactly sure how much. Even if things are stressful at first, I am going to make myself like my new surroundings. Small inconveniences don't bother me. If I have to commute 4 hours each day just to travel 35 miles from Fort Worth to Forth Worth for example, I will enjoy the scenery, even if there isn't any scenery to enjoy. And also if I travel by bus I could just type away on my BlackBerry or something.

I have an annoying habit of typing a lot. I don't know if this is even making any sense.

And even if I would like to do more Other Things, I could Begin Another Chapter again for a couple of decades. or once I start doing more and more research and more and more touring of Fort Worth and if I decide it is not for me, then I could always move to Denton. or if Denton has no houses for sale, and they stop building houses, I could move to Somewhere Else in Texas. If DFW is not warm enough I could try San Antonio. (Obviously, this move is going to be a few years in the future and I am trying to make it carefully planned.)

I am so dumb, I am not even sure what a urban bad neighborhood is. I want to begin with this. in detail, if this is possible. Is it bad like in National Lampoon's Vacation (scene where the Truckster got vandalized, etc.) or is it 110% danger such as Law & Order SVU?

Perhaps the danger does not matter. I feel like I could embrace Fort Worth urban area like chasing a tornado.

I do not want to give up. I absolutely refuse to turn into my own surroundings!

Last edited by In_Correct; 12-29-2012 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: typo.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:15 AM

Post Same question, third time:

Are there no crime statistics on this website?!

Old 12-30-2012, 01:10 PM

165 posts, read 396,754 times
First, to answer your last question...City Data does have some basic neighborhood information (which I believe includes crime statistics) you'll have to seek it out on this site. Ok, I think I get the gist of what you are talking about and the only thing I can recommend is that you do some soul searching and while being honest to yourself, envision what is the ideal lifestyle/environment that you would want to be in. Be realistic-avoid conjuring up some images of a tropical carefree paradise where coconuts fall at your feet and the sea breezes are always pleasant. If you like the Fort Worth-Denton region, then identify specifically what it is about this region that really appeals to you. (make sure you avoid looking at this area through rose colored glasses-as mentioned, traffic on local highways can be horrific at times) As much as you may think you know this area from the perspective of your neck of the woods, it's absolutely not the same as being here. No place ever is, frankly.

I'll fall back on my first reply to your original message and state again that you need to intelligently make a plan to get you where you want to be. Where there's a will there's usually a way but its not always by going in a straight line. As far as dangerous neighborhoods, I'd worry less about that right now than coming up with a way to successfully relocate here. Amazon has recently announced its creating a regional distribution center in far north Fort Worth near Alliance Airport. While that could be an opportunity, you'll need to broaden your search and be available as well prepared when an opportunity arises.

The one thing I can promise you is that nothing will happen if you do nothing. If you still have any family in the area that you are on reasonably good terms with, contact and share with them your goals and see if they would be helpful by allowing you to visit and do some prospecting locally. Staying at a motel (even a cheaper extended stay version) can quickly get expensive. The New Year change-over is a time of reflection, making personal resolutions, and planning for the new year. Decide to make 2013 THE year to make things happen in your life. As suggested, start by planning. You need a map to get to a destination and you need a personal logistics plan to begin the journey. Make contacts in this region with others who share your interests; they can be extremely valuable in helping to alert you to opportunities in your chosen field. As many, many, successful people have repeatedly advised: if you know what you like to do, then do it and you will always be happy. Therefore, its time to do some serious thinking and strategic planning. If you can't come up with anything then share your goals/aspirations with people you trust and seek their good advice. (on a more one-on-one basis than an anonymous online exchange on City Data) I look forward to you posting later in 2013 that you made a plan and then successfully followed it. Best wishes to you in your productive days ahead.

Last edited by Vintrest; 12-30-2012 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-30-2012, 02:23 PM

Smile Thanks:

Thank you. I am new to this website and I have now found this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...ion-index.html

While the thread is in the Dallas forum, It should still help and I should have looked more carefully at Dallas forum for answers. I prefer Fort Worth instead of Dallas because Tarrant County is south of Denton County. Tarrant County is more of a backup plan and if I ever needed to or wanted to travel to other DFW areas, I would just travel and commute, .... but at the same time, I could not believe the comments from people (just random people around my location, not this website) could be true. the ones such as "You will not survive in a big city. It is too dangerous. Especially all the rough neighborhoods." and I kept thinking: "No way, It can not possibly be worse! And even if it is equally as bad, or worse, ...the opportunity and civilization would cancel out the things causing it to be bad or worse." ...and then after searching for "fort worth bad neighborhood" this website was one of the search results to a thread with a topic "I am looking for a place that is not a bad neighborhood." ... and then somebody said "no that neighborhood is not bad. I drove a BMW through it and I did not get strange looks." I can't find that thread now. but after reading that post I started wondering if "all I had to do" was not buy a fancy car.

So I will finish reading the search results and look more at the Dallas Thread with all the links. My next questions were going to be about DART> bus feedback but I am going to read that thread. I am going to take my time and read all those threads, tour DFW more, and then continue to work on my plans.

I am still not scared of heavy traffic!

Last edited by In_Correct; 12-30-2012 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 12-30-2012, 05:18 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
Thank you. I am new to this website and I have now found this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...ion-index.html

While the thread is in the Dallas forum, It should still help and I should have looked more carefully at Dallas forum for answers. I prefer Fort Worth instead of Dallas because Tarrant County is south of Denton County. Tarrant County is more of a backup plan and if I ever needed to or wanted to travel to other DFW areas, I would just travel and commute, .... but at the same time, I could not believe the comments from people (just random people around my location, not this website) could be true. the ones such as "You will not survive in a big city. It is too dangerous. Especially all the rough neighborhoods." and I kept thinking: "No way, It can not possibly be worse! And even if it is equally as bad, or worse, ...the opportunity and civilization would cancel out the things causing it to be bad or worse." ...and then after searching for "fort worth bad neighborhood" this website was one of the search results to a thread with a topic "I am looking for a place that is not a bad neighborhood." ... and then somebody said "no that neighborhood is not bad. I drove a BMW through it and I did not get strange looks." I can't find that thread now. but after reading that post I started wondering if "all I had to do" was not buy a fancy car.

So I will finish reading the search results and look more at the Dallas Thread with all the links. My next questions were going to be about DART> bus feedback but I am going to read that thread. I am going to take my time and read all those threads, tour DFW more, and then continue to work on my plans.

I am still not scared of heavy traffic!
LOL...so where is land...I have to ask because you are able to make light of your environment. Fancy cars are common here so unless you drove a Fearrari or Bradley GT, you won't get heads to turn. You seem to have plenty of time/money on/in your hands to travel so you may want to get some form of education under your belt just in case. Get that education first then choose your city accordingly. Dallas/Ft Worth has many options and many burbs to explore. Those years will blow by if you get your focus on you ulitmate goal of getting out in a couple of years. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth