Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 12:27 PM

46 posts, read 284,355 times

Advertisements

I would like to get some info regarding utility bills in Ft Worth. We are moving from Florida this summer, looking to move to the Haslet area (or maybe Mansfield, we havent decided) but I wanted to see if you would post your utility bill info here, so I can compare to what we are used to in FL.

What is your average bills for electric, water and gas in the winter time vs. the summer? What is the approx sq ft of your home and age?

We are looking at getting a 2 story, over 3000 sq ft, new construction. I have been hearing about these astronomical utility bills and wanted to hear from actual people who live there what is the norm.

Thanks!

Jamie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 03:33 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,427,044 times
Hiya Jaime - We are looking at building in Haslet as well. The area we have been looking at is Propane and Electric so as soon as I hear something I will post it on here.

My Mom moved to Saginaw and our neighbor was telling us it really depends upon your insulation and builder.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:04 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,780,296 times
Guingirl, we stared looking in Haslet as well... seems close enough to the airoprt and reasonable enough for a few acres.
We most likely will buy an existing home.
MBG

Old 03-09-2007, 01:14 PM
WJD

38 posts, read 195,458 times
My son moved to haslet. Brand new total electric house (KB)........1 month 400$ electric bill.
Come the summer heat you can expect the same thing.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:37 PM

34 posts, read 263,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieFL View Post
I would like to get some info regarding utility bills in Ft Worth. We are moving from Florida this summer, looking to move to the Haslet area (or maybe Mansfield, we havent decided) but I wanted to see if you would post your utility bill info here, so I can compare to what we are used to in FL.

What is your average bills for electric, water and gas in the winter time vs. the summer? What is the approx sq ft of your home and age?

We are looking at getting a 2 story, over 3000 sq ft, new construction. I have been hearing about these astronomical utility bills and wanted to hear from actual people who live there what is the norm.

Thanks!

Jamie
Hi Jamie,

Our electricity bill has been about $100-150 each month we've been here. Our gas been the last 3 months has been close to $100. We live in a new construction - 2100Sqft.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 10,174 times
3000 sq ft will run you $350-450 a month for Electric or more if you really like to be cool. Texas is low in real estate prices but high in Property tax and insurance (Tornados, Hail storms) My house was 3500Sq ft. 235K. Property tax was $5500 and insurance was around $2200. Count on Higher bills from June through sept.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:50 PM

62 posts, read 283,328 times
Default Electricity Rates

Here is a comparison: With all taxes included ,we pay 11.1 cents per kwh here in Tarrant County. My friend lives in Riverside County California and paid 24.1 cents on his last bill (217 % higher) . Our highest bill last summer was $420 on a 3 year old 4100 sq home with a pool and six people incuding a real mean woman that never turns off a light or closes a door . The only way to really save money is to use an evaporitive cooler in a low humidity area .

Old 03-12-2007, 07:08 AM

46 posts, read 284,355 times
Thanks for the info everybody, I would be interested to hear what provider you use. Here in FL, our house is a little over 1700 sq ft, and we pay about 225.00 a month on electric... no gas, and about 50.00 on water/sewer combined. Summer is higher, winter is about 165.00 on electric. I think we pay .09 per kwh. I just wanted to see how it would compare... I know we want a 3000 sq ft home, so I knew it would be higher anyway.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:10 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times
Your gonna hate the summer in Texas, yes its dryer but you can fry an egg on your driveway...

I can't imagine what the power bills must be now, I have lived in Florida for 6 years now.

I have been told that an AC unit can only cool a home 20 degrees below what it is outside, Texas summers are alot hotter then you are used to here in Florida...its not unusual to have 100 degrees and no rain to cool things down, the last summer I was there, it didn't break 90 at night for two months.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:50 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
you need to Google and find out the electric providers in FTW area where you think to move--there are several tha offer service all over the Metroplex---TXU and Reliant are the first two that come to mind but depending on where your house is, there are other possibilities--they offer a variety of rate plans----

it is a crap shoot as to whether it is better to lock in today's rate as high as it is thinking that future ones will be higher or to try to find one that appears more responsive to the ebb and flow of price of natural gas which utilities have their prices fixed around (even though many of them rely more on coal or another source of their power)...

the amount of insulation in a new home (and most older ones) is probably the minimum that building code requires--if you are buying a new home or an older one--the best thing you can do is make sure that your house has BETTER than minimum insulation--even if you think you will be there for short term, it seems like that would be an upgrade that would appeal to anyone purchasing your house...

check the windows--make sure they are as energy efficient as you can afford and make sure they are sealed for air-leakage--you can Google that info--and there are things you can do to seal them if you find there are bad seals...make sure they have screens so that you can open them for air flow--

I open my windows a lot even during the summer when there is a breeze---some people think it is stupid to do that and then have to close and go to a/c because they think it is cheaper to have house closed all the time and just let the a/c recycle at maybe higher temps--like 80--but I think my way is better...just makes for more dust however...

check the orientation of the house and windows--we have most sun/heat through south/southwest/west side of house--best design has garage wall on W side to block that afternoon sun (if garage wall as good insulation)
Are there eaves/overhangs/porches to provide shade--most new homes are not designed that way and most old homes aren't either--eaves are hard to construct and don't lend themselves to the building styles of past years...porches are expensive to build...

some homes have window sun-screens which are supposed to block the sun's rays/heat from getting into house but I don't know anyone who has them to say whether they really work or not--they are usually an add-on the homeowner buys--not something a builder would put on a new home...

Try to find homes w/ EnergyStar appliances since they are energy efficient--do your laundry at off hours like EARLY in morning or LATE at night when rates are cheaper...they make Energy Star ceiling fans as well...make sure you turn OFF the main electric feed to computer since even the idle is power drain--and some people even do that to things like their tv systems at night so that there is not that minimum power draw--you might be surprised at how much power a large TV/cable box/stereo system draws even if it is not in use...

Change out all light bulbs from conventional to flourescent ones in any fixtures you can--it does make a difference--they cost more but they are worth the difference fairly quickly--try to find bulbs that have better color values--they might not be that easy to find at Wal-Mart but a lighting store probably has them...

Your water bill may be as big a shock as your electric bill--hope you can find home w/energy saving toilets and you can change out the shower heads to be water saving...
we are entering a water crisis in this part of country even if now the rains have been pretty common and lake levels are up--commercial usage and residential growth are putting long-term and short term water needs into overdrive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth