Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2013, 05:31 PM

108 posts, read 166,063 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are considering a move to the Midlothian area and I have seen a few posts with negative references to the cement plants in Midlothian. How big of a deal is it? Is it really worse air quality? Can you see the dust? I even saw one poster mention they wouldn't take a house given to them in Midlothian!

Anyone near the area with some good info? Out of the area with some good info?

It appears the school district is good and I hate to rule it out over a 'perceived' problem.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 05:47 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
It is a very good school district. My daughter just had a new house built outside Midlothian, their kids attend Midlothian schools and love them. The air quality has been a huge issue there. Erin Brockovich actually made a recent visit to the area -- boy she has become a brand! If you go to the town's website, you can find information on air testing and air monitoring that is ongoing. Since 2008, there have been stronger controls regarding air emissions. However, "Cement Valley" still has a higher level of dangerous emissions than other areas in DFW. My daughter and her family have lived in Midlothian for 9 years now and it has always concerned me but they really love the town.

Here is the latest gov reports on air quality in Midlothian: http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/hac/pha/Mid...PC11162012.pdf

Last edited by Squirl; 06-13-2013 at 06:16 PM..

Old 06-13-2013, 08:23 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Downwinders at Risk

Old 06-13-2013, 10:37 PM

108 posts, read 166,063 times
Thanks for the info, it was an eye-opener. I read through both resources. However, two of the statements at the downwinder's site seems to be at odds.

Promising:
When Downwinders at Risk began, eight cement kilns were operating in Midlothian: seven of them obsolete wet kilns from the 1960’s and four burning hazardous waste. In 2014, there will be 4 cement kilns: none of them wet kilns and none of them burning hazardous waste.

Not so promising:
In the summer of 2011, TXI obtained a permit to burn a variety of industrial wastes at its Midlothian cement plant, including plastic garbage and car interiors and parts. It got the permit without any public notice or hearing.

:-/

Old 06-13-2013, 10:42 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
the TXI burning would worry me as much ore more than the cement kilns since airborn plastic toxins are more than likely listed as cancer-causing...
who knows how much exposure a child needs to have...
no one frankly -- cause they don't really test that--it's too dangerous...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth