Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 08:19 PM

108 posts, read 166,063 times

Advertisements

We have completed Day 1 of our 4 day visit to scope out the DFW area for a new place to live. I have posted here before so I will try not to bore you with details, but basically looking for huge yard, nice house, good schools, family-oriented. The nice thing is we don't have to worry about a commute other than a monthly trip to the airport.

So we started in Grapevine and think it is a lovely community... had no idea there would be so many hills and trees! The only issue was the prices were a bit high if you tried to find a place with a big yard (of which there were not many). Southlake---crazy! Can't even believe there are spec homes like that. Above our price range (which is max 350k, but really need to keep it closer to 300k max). Trophy Club--- same deal as Grapevine, and also thought it was very nice. Colleyville seemed to actually hold the most promise with a half dozen houses with big back yards and still had the wonderful mature trees and hills at an affordable price range and well-rated schools.

Tomorrow we head further north to Plano/Flower Mound/Frisco/Denton. Then we plan to head south and west to Aledo/Weatherford and then even further south to Midlothian area. If anyone believes we are missing an important area, please let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 08:25 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Glad you liked Grapevine and NE Tarrant. It really is a great place to live.

As I mentioned earlier, make sure you get a good look at those cement kilns in Midlothian. No way I would voluntarily live anywhere close to those...

Old 07-03-2013, 08:35 PM

Thanks ChristieP. We definitely want to check out the cement kilns. Thanks to folks with info on the forum it sounds like the danger is dramatically curbed since 2008, but not completely sold on that either.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:36 PM

The only trouble so far is finding a place we don't like! Since you are local to Grapevine, can you give me any pointers to where it is best to avoid crowds but still get a view of the Grapevine Lake fireworks tomorrow?! Even if it requires a bit of a drive. We drove around some of the lake today. Pretty awesome.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:47 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,327,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossTXTransplant View Post
We have completed Day 1 of our 4 day visit to scope out the DFW area for a new place to live. I have posted here before so I will try not to bore you with details, but basically looking for huge yard, nice house, good schools, family-oriented. The nice thing is we don't have to worry about a commute other than a monthly trip to the airport.

So we started in Grapevine and think it is a lovely community... had no idea there would be so many hills and trees! The only issue was the prices were a bit high if you tried to find a place with a big yard (of which there were not many). Southlake---crazy! Can't even believe there are spec homes like that. Above our price range (which is max 350k, but really need to keep it closer to 300k max). Trophy Club--- same deal as Grapevine, and also thought it was very nice. Colleyville seemed to actually hold the most promise with a half dozen houses with big back yards and still had the wonderful mature trees and hills at an affordable price range and well-rated schools.

Tomorrow we head further north to Plano/Flower Mound/Frisco/Denton. Then we plan to head south and west to Aledo/Weatherford and then even further south to Midlothian area. If anyone believes we are missing an important area, please let me know!
You should check the eastern part of Keller that feeds into Florence Elementary school ( and into keller high) if you don't mind an older home. For $300 most of the lots are at least 0.75 acres (some over 1.5). Lots of $3M+ homes, but the older ones start at around $250k or so, depending on how many updates they've got. Just a mile or two from the krogers of the world, and about 10 minutes from everything. south lake has to offer.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:14 PM

Thanks for the tip Texascrude! Since we are staying in Grapevine, we should have no problem checking that area out. I had another thread //www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...move+to+keller which somewhat turned me off to Keller, but I know I was close today and saw nothing that turned me off.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:45 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,327,162 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tip Texascrude! Since we are staying in Grapevine, we should have no problem checking that area out. I had another thread //www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...move+to+keller which somewhat turned me off to Keller, but I know I was close today and saw nothing that turned me off.
Keller covers a lot of area, and its not all the same! Commute to downtown is supposed to be a bear, but you said that isn't an issue for you. We just bought (haven't closed yet) a place on Belaire dr. Home is older (1987), but has been updated with a nice kitchen and bathroom. Floor plan is a bit dated, but we've got 0.8 acres with about a dozen 30+ year old trees. No street lights, quiet street, no HOA, and great schools. Almost bought a house (1221 Melissa dr) with 1.6 acres and a horse stable in the back (it was built in 1975, which was too hard of a sell for my wife)!

All about trade offs and what you're really prioritizing in your house, but if you want a large lot and a central location, I'd give it a look

Old 07-03-2013, 11:06 PM

Thanks Texascrude- You really have nailed it. We are looking for a large lot, central location is a bonus. I really don't mind an older home (with some updates), and actually prefer it with the mature trees. The 'no street lights, quiet street, no HOA, and great schools" is perfect. My wife might be cool with the 1975 house too. We dig some character for sure and are not beyond doing some updates ourselves. Thus far, we have figured we have to be in rural Ft. Worth for this, but you have opened up some possibilities. If you want a referral (and the agent can act fast), please send us your agent's name. Odd thing is we actually prefer some dated floor plans in that we like a galley-style kitchen with a bit less open-ness. But definitely prefer tons of windows and some outside-inside feel.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:38 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Quote:
The only trouble so far is finding a place we don't like! Since you are local to Grapevine, can you give me any pointers to where it is best to avoid crowds but still get a view of the Grapevine Lake fireworks tomorrow?! Even if it requires a bit of a drive. We drove around some of the lake today. Pretty awesome.
Pay to sit on the top level of the parking deck at the Gaylord Texan. You will have to get there early to get a spot! Other than that, all of the parks along the lake will have a good view.

The things you are wanting in a house do describe Grapevine very well. We have no HOAs, much lower property taxes than the surrounding cities (thanks to the city officials for encouraging commercial growth), and really great quality of life. DH and I love it here!

The cement kiln issue has gotten somewhat better since 2008, but it is most definitely still there. Midlothian has cheap land because of that, and that's why there are larger, affordable homes being built there.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:18 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
I vote Colleyville over Keller or Grapevine....... Since I don't live either place I am neutral. Colleyville is just a much better investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth