Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 05:58 AM

11,864 posts, read 26,910,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

I should mention TX is only about #10 among the states for tornadoes per square mile and, more specifically, not even in the top 20 for violent tornadoes (4 and 5) per square mile as TX tornadoes are more likely to be weaker than those in states to our north and east.
Very true!!!! Oklahoma, Kansas, and southern Missouri have far worse tornadoes than Texas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 10:29 AM

150 posts, read 418,910 times
Born and raised in Texas, I have only experienced one tornado. It was just a few years ago and we had plenty of warning to gather supplies and get to a safe place in the house.

We've had a couple of scares while the kids have been in school. Again, plenty of warning and I was able to go check the kids out of school and bring them home (as do many parents, if they are able to). Now, whether they're safer in the schools or home, that's a personal decision.

I will say that the several years we lived in KY/TN, we had tornado touchdowns often. It got so bad one Spring that we just left the mattress in the bathroom. We experienced more tornados in those 8yrs in KY/TN than we did growing up here in Texas and now living back here for the past 6yrs. You'll be fine

Old 04-20-2014, 10:34 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,453,550 times
My wife got caught in a EF1 a few years back. Didn't really realize it until it was over. She was driving down the highway, big rain and wind squall hit, zero visibility for less than a minute, then it was gone. No car damage. Restaurant along side the road had roof damage.

Couldn't see it because it was rain-wrapped.

Now, we have had a few big ones, but they are very few and far between. Most we have are like the one my wife encountered. A little roof damage, sheds and patio covers tossed around, fences down.

We have had far more damage from hail storms than tornados.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:30 AM

254 posts, read 401,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrn&Raised View Post
Born and raised in Texas, I have only experienced one tornado. It was just a few years ago and we had plenty of warning to gather supplies and get to a safe place in the house.

We've had a couple of scares while the kids have been in school. Again, plenty of warning and I was able to go check the kids out of school and bring them home (as do many parents, if they are able to). Now, whether they're safer in the schools or home, that's a personal decision.

I will say that the several years we lived in KY/TN, we had tornado touchdowns often. It got so bad one Spring that we just left the mattress in the bathroom. We experienced more tornados in those 8yrs in KY/TN than we did growing up here in Texas and now living back here for the past 6yrs. You'll be fine
What station are you tuning into that gives you enough warning to get in the car, drive to school and pick up the kids? As long as I've been alive, good warning for a Texas tornado is 15 min. Otherwise you just know for a good amount of time about a major thunderstorm that is going to blow through that has a good chance of producing tornados somewhere.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:33 PM

150 posts, read 418,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMFW View Post
What station are you tuning into that gives you enough warning to get in the car, drive to school and pick up the kids? As long as I've been alive, good warning for a Texas tornado is 15 min. Otherwise you just know for a good amount of time about a major thunderstorm that is going to blow through that has a good chance of producing tornados somewhere.
Thankfully, the scares while my kids were at school never produced a tornado in town, but were either tornado warnings for tstorms with a history of producing a tornado or that has several points of rotation. We also live extremely close to the school, which helps quite a bit in situations like that. The tornado that did hit our neighborhood, we had about a 15-20mins warning, like you mentioned

Old 04-20-2014, 03:37 PM

988 posts, read 1,830,244 times
I've only been in TX for about a year, but come from the Midwest where tornados are a reality there too. Others pretty much have spoken to most of what I'd mention to you from the general "tornado experience", other than I'd remind you of this:

There's around 9 million in the DFW area and all subject to tornadoes - we all do just fine. Don't over-worry about it anymore than you would an earthquake. Ultimately, if the Big Guy is calling you home, there's no bargaining for 5 more minutes anyway...

As far as city - I'd probably also suggest Ft. Worth and consider it more if my job wasn't in North Dallas. I liked FW the few times I've been there, but an hour drive one way (without traffic) is more than I'm willing to tolerate. Oh, well...

Old 04-20-2014, 10:29 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,175,262 times
And don't be put off too much by what goes on in Oklahoma, even though OKC is just a three-hour drive north. For whatever reason, even though it's not far, Oklahoma seems to suffer far more disastrous tornadoes than North Texas.

And, depending on where you live in North Texas, you may not be done with earthquakes. There've been some small tremors which some have said are caused by fracking. But, as there's no major faulting around here in the immediate area, you're not going to have to worry about a Big One.

Drilling might be culprit behind Texas earthquakes - ABC News

Old 04-23-2014, 03:53 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,981,511 times
Well North Texas is part of Tornado Alley so I would be concerned if I lived there again.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:19 PM

254 posts, read 401,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
Well North Texas is part of Tornado Alley so I would be concerned if I lived there again.
Let me just say that it's a pretty big alley that stretches across several states. It'd be like calling the State of California "earthquake alley."

Old 04-24-2014, 07:36 AM

194 posts, read 306,632 times
It's important to know that there is a LOT of weather coverage here in the area. There is plenty of warning that storms are capable of producing large hail or tornadoes, and virtually every business has a plan to ensure that employees and customers are warned of an approaching dangerous storm. There are alerts for smart phones, weather radios, weather sirens and all sorts of ways that you will know when/where to watch out or take cover. Every year news stations and other groups provide information on how to prepare for storms and what to do. It's really lack of knowledge/preparedness that causes the fear.

What's really interesting is that when a storm comes over, you'll find a lot of people outside watching. You know it's bad when they all run inside! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth