Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 11:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,453 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Ft Worth area in Sept/Oct. We will have a 13 year old along with two in elementary school. My husband will be working by Trinity Park and Museum of Science and History. We want him to not have a killer commute to work, ideally under 30 mins. Price point is 300-400K with 4 bed minimum. Trying to research schools which is difficult. Realtor recommend Aledo. What other areas would you all recommend? Want a small town feel and sense of community as well. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 07:09 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,535,854 times
Aledo sounds like a good fit. Do your kids like sports? You will be able to find a "circle" in Aledo quickly if they do. The schools are good (but not very progressive) and people are very supportive of the community.

Your price range is good for an existing home and possibly even a finish out in one of the newer subdivisions.

We moved to Aledo in 2008 but due to my husband's job will be moving to Coppell next month. Feel free to DM me with any questions about specific neighborhoods and attendance zone (although you are safe at any elementary really). I also have a realtor rec if you aren't currently working with one.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:31 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Aledo shopping hasn't caught up with the number of people moving there mainly because it is a very spread-out population--most people live outside the city limits
it can take you 20-30 min to get to the freeway from your subdivision and longer to get to a grocery store
No Target, no gym that I am aware of--Walmart isn't even close

While the schools are better in Aledo (more upscale housing and likely some o/g tax going into the district, there is better shopping close to Burleson--s of FTW on 35

You might consider Benbrook--there is maybe one newer development SW of FTW--
Google Maverick Homes and see where they are building
there is small ISD in that area not FTW ISD that might be worth checking for homes feeding it

you don't want White Settlement schools

Old 06-09-2014, 07:18 PM

I mostly agree with loves2read but will tweak it just a little . Brookshires, Target, Wal Mart, Lowes, Home Depot, Kohls, Ross, TJ Maxx, Albertsons, JC Penney, Starbucks, multiple fast food options including Chik Fil A, multiple national chain restaurants including On The Border, Olive Garden, Texas Roadhouse, Buffalo Wild Wings, several local restaurants and shops, and multiple pharmacy choices, are all 10-15 minutes from my house. We are definitely one of the neighborhoods located further from I-20 where most of those places are located. I totally agree that it is very spread out- my boys have friends that live nearly 30 min away. Now they are not at the same elementary school but they are all in Aledo ISD. The boundary area covers a lot of ground! Basically the trade off in Aledo is you are closer to FW or closer to Weatherford and there are pros and cons to both.

I would also not steer you towards schools in Benbrook unless you want your children in private school. The elementary options in Benbrook are ok but middle and high school- no.

I wonder if the commute from Grapevine or Colleyville or even Hurst zoned to GCISD would be ok? Great schools at all levels, lots of houses in your price range that have 4 beds, lots of activities for kids and great community. I'm kinda thinking it might be another good option for you but maybe our posters more familiar with that particular commute will weigh in.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:51 PM

540 posts, read 1,106,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Aledo ... it is a very spread-out population--most people live outside the city limits
it can take you 20-30 min to get to the freeway from your subdivision and longer to get to a grocery store
No Target, no gym that I am aware of--Walmart isn't even close
Sorry, but I have to chime in here too. No, there's not shopping per se in Aledo itself. It's very much a small town with most the population living outside the city limits. That I will agree with. People typically refer to Aledo meaning the Aledo ISD area and not the town.

However...20 to 30 minutes to get to the freeway? Not. For a vast majority of the homes, it's less than 15 minutes. You can hit I-20 at the main Aledo exit (FM1187) on one side of the area or you can hit I-20 at Mikus Rd/FM5 from the other side. I'm smack dab in between the 2 and it takes me about 12 minutes either way. In other areas, it might be fastest to hit 377 and come into Benbrook.

From my house:
WalMart...Hudson Oaks...15 minutes; Benbrook...20 minutes.
Brookshires grocery...Willow Park...15 minutes.

Target...Weatherford...20 minutes or less. (Also, as said, Lowe's, Home Depot, Best Buy, Kohl's, JCPenney, TJ Maxx, Belk's, Ulta, Michael's plus fast food and restaurants. Albertson's grocery store too.)

Gym...yes, there are two that I know of. Aledo Athletic Club in between McAnally 5th/6th grade center and the middle school. Also, on Bankhead behind the high school, there is Aledo Crossfit. There's also a gym on Ranch House Rd. in Willow Park. And another next to Wal Mart in Hudson Oaks.

Basically, Weatherford is 20 minutes away and FW is 20-25 minutes away.

Do I call it rural suburbia? Yes. Is it for everyone? No. Spread out? Yes.
As desolate as some would have you believe? No.

In other options:
Benbrook elementary schools are OK last I heard, but high school is less desirable.
There's a small ISD called Joshua that might be worth a look.

If you're open to paying tolls to commute, the Chisholm Trail Parkway just opened that runs from Cleburne in the south up to near I-30 right now (eventually to downtown). That shortens the commute to a lot of areas.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,453 times
Thanks for all the info. What about Eagle Mountain area? I think the north eastern towns (grapevine etc) will be terrible traffic wise for my husband. Also looked at Burleson but didn't know how bad I 35 was that direction.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:55 PM

11,857 posts, read 26,881,949 times
I drive downtown from Grapevine/NE Tarrant every day, and for the most part, I'm going against traffic. Yes, if there is bad weather, rain, or an accident, it takes longer. My usual commute is about 30-40 minutes.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:01 PM

I actually grew up in the Eagle Mountain/Saginaw ISD, my sister taught at the high school for several years (changed careers recently so my info is fresh), and still have friends with children in school there of varying ages. Nutshell: it's a mixed bag.

Positives:
-safe
-your budget will go a heck of a lot farther in EM/S ISD than Aledo
-commute for your husband depending on how far out you get on Boat Club Rd will be under or right at 30 min
-lots of great people/families in the area
-school district overall is good with some standout schools. Eagle Mountain Elementary in particular is a great school, as is Lakepoint. You want to be in the Boswell feeder pattern.
I'm sure I will think of more but we'll start there

Negatives:
-influx of cheap (and cheaply built) homes in the late 90s- 2000s
-nicer, newer homes are way far out Boat Club Rd in The Resort at Eagle Mountain and closer to the lake
-the Lake Country subdivision has some nice pockets and is a great contender for your price range but it is street by street these days (not in terms of safety, more esthetic)
-As with Aledo, you are still 25 min to the cool stuff/areas in FW. But- you have grocery, pharmacy, Best Buy, Target, one of the big national fitness chains, so on and so forth all very close in Lake Worth

My parents are actually moving back to this area after a year of renting in the "cool" part of town near where your husband will work. They are hard to impress (well, my Dad is) but really like their realtor. My recent experience selling and gearing up to buy again has taught me how important finding a good, honest, positive, local realtor is. I am happy to DM her info (there are lots of part-timers out in that area so I would like to at least steer you to a pro).

I would take a close look at Grapevine before Burleson or Cleburne. Me no likey, and I think that commute would either be long or expensive depending on your utilization or not of Chisolm Parkway. Anything that is 35 dependent stinks.

FW ISD- no, not even Tanglewood
White Settlement ISD- no
Haslet- Northwest ISD is good but I think commute would be too long
Keller High zoned Keller ISD is good but again with the over 30 min commute I think (please chime in if I'm off on this) basically you can access 121 (good) more easily fm Grapevine and SE Colleyville but Keller you are stuck w/ 35 or Lord help you, loop 820
HEB ISD has some great performing schools and a great IB program but you would have to pinpoint areas with a better commute. Some areas wouldn't be bad, others would be terrible.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:54 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
I stand corrected about the Aledo info--was just using what we had seen from few years ago when we were shopping for house and what friend of ours who has lived there twice (two separated stays) said about it...

The Benbrook area I was thinking of wasn't IN FTWISD--but the Godley one--
it seems to have better stats than FTW and is smaller but don't know any specifics--
just an option...

Old 06-25-2014, 11:18 PM

12 posts, read 43,507 times
Default Colleyville commute to downtown Ft Worth

Yes, consider Grapevine or Colleyville. The commute from our house in Colleyville (excellent schools, plenty of shopping + bonus of very close to DFW airport) to downtown Fort Worth is about 20 minutes, going via Highway 121. (We used to live in Keller-- the other poster is correct... do NOT attempt to go I-35 or Loop 820, you'll "never" get there, at least on time!) My husband commutes to downtown FW (has for years and years) and when traffic is heavy during evening rush hour, it might take 30 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth