Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 08:44 PM

293 posts, read 850,050 times

Advertisements

Specifically, how do you do it?

We moved here this summer and are in North Richland Hills in the Birdville ISD. The schools do not provide busing unless you live more than 2 miles away, which few people do. My middle schooler was practicing his 1.6-mile walk to school last Sunday and was hit by a car while crossing a busy road. I have two kids in middle school and one in high school - the high school is 1.9 miles away.

Although my son who got hit by the car will be recovering for some time and I am taking unpaid leave from my job to take care of him, at some point I will have to return to work. For obvious reasons I am not comfortable with him walking anymore, but I don't know how to find transportation for him. From what I understand, the 2 mile rule is pretty standard around here for busing. Some districts offer the option of paying for busing when you live closer than 2 miles, but mine does not.

I can't imagine that every family has a SAH parent who can play chauffeur, and I only see a small handful of kids walking. How do people get their kids to and from school without busing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 10:17 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,616,167 times
I'm so sorry to hear about your son. We are also in BISD, however I have to guess at a different middle school because there has been no talk of a student accident and no stressing of walking/biking safety, which you would expect to occur after such an incident.

The 2 mile deal is pretty standard in most districts here, therefore most parents have to find a way.

Many will work their schedules so that one parent can take the child while the other can pick up. Some have older siblings that drive and can pick up the younger ones. There are neighbors/friends who will take turns carpooling or a parent might simply pay someone to transport their kids. I do child care and one year did indeed transport a middle school neighbor for a fee, but only because I was already going there with my now high school student. I won't be doing that again though. :-) And of course there are many who don't have or don't feel comfortable with their neighbors so the kids walk or bike to school.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:11 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Carpooling with friends and neighbors is the most common. That was what I did "back in the day." I did have to walk home a few times, but my parents made sure I knew how use crosswalks to cross a busy street.

Sorry to hear about your son. Hope he recovers quickly!

Old 08-27-2014, 06:12 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
I am sorry to hear about your child.
Have you reached out to parents of classmates for potential car pools?

Old 08-27-2014, 07:54 AM

293 posts, read 850,050 times
Since we just moved here and school just started 2 days ago, I haven't had a chance to meet my kids' classmates yet. I asked at the school office to see if they knew of any services or carpooling opportunities, and they took my name/number but didn't know of anything. I seriously hope I won't have to quit my job just so I can get my kids to/from school.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:10 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,661 times
Trebuchet!

Old 08-27-2014, 10:51 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
Trebuchet!
Too many HOA's here, and they likely won't allow that.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:14 PM

156 posts, read 284,017 times
Usually schools will have some sort of before school care (for a fee), have you looked into that?

Also your PTA president might know someone who you could carpool with or at least where you could post a post a looking for one (ie Facebook page).

How much earlier do you have to drop him off before school starts? Middle schools usually don't care if a kid comes early and works on his homework. He might be able to work out a deal with one of his teachers that he hangs out in their room before classes start.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:17 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
I would like some more info about how your son was injured--that is a terrible thing to happen and I am sure it was very traumatic to your family...

most areas I drive through when school hours are in effect have crossing guards at important access points and normally the first week or so of school there will also be police cars parked at random to monitor traffic...
but since he was doing it Sunday none of those were operating--
Was there a light where he was crossing?
I am assuming you didn't go with him...

My kids walked to school at times and we were maybe 3/4 of mile--one major street crossing with 4 way stop initially and after years they put in traffic light--
but there is always a crossing guard at that location...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth