Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 09:36 AM

37,313 posts, read 59,965,938 times

Advertisements

We are considering replacing carpet in three downstairs rooms-master bedroom, small den area, and guest bedroom.
Has anyone used Costco for carpet?
From the website they only deal in Shaw carpeting/flooring products which is reputable mfg but haven't gone into stores to look at any carpeting yet

Also would you buy same style of carpet (level-loop Berber) - just to have continuity w/upstairs? I don't mind it--but know other styles more popular now. We just don't use upstairs enough to make replacement there a smart money decision...it's in much better shape. Downstairs has stains that won't come out...think original owners didn't buy very good quality when they installed.

Any recommendations for carpet stores?
I know Lowes has some good prices but installers are the question there...
My husband really doesn't want to upgrade to wood flooring even though this might be good chance.
I know wood flooring is very desireable if you go to sell.
Personally, laminate seems too problamatic to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 03:22 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,539,048 times
I haven't used Costco, but agree that Shaw tends to be a good product. So much of carpet though as you know is installation. Continuity is a "good thing" as Martha would say, ha ha. I won't bore you with the details of our decision to carpet the bedrooms of this house rather than hard surface flooring but I went with Tuftex Only Natural and love it. Everyone that comes in our house comments on how much they like it. I love flatweave rugs, sisal, seagrass, natural fibers, etc, but a friend installed wall to wall seagrass in her kids' bedrooms and she said water spills show and it is basically a pain. This is the next best thing with the durability/cleanability of synthetic fibers. We don't do food in the bedrooms but I don't want to have to worry about water spills. I love hardwoods and have them in the rest of the house but like the warmth in the bedroom. Of course the first time one of my boys pukes on it I will be regretting carpet!

We used Lowe's when we recarpeted our first house right before we sold it. We had rented it and had to replace to put it on the market. It was nice and they did a good job, but I can't testify to the long term install job. They have always been great for applicances for us, very knowledgable and on time but carpet is a different deal.

Are you sure your husband won't upgrade to wood? best resale choice hands down. I don't know that stats on if you "get it back" or not but I bet dollars to donuts a classic wood floor sells faster and helps the deal along.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:20 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,765,944 times
Loves2read, I had a townhome in Coppell, lived there for 10 years. About 3 years in I replaced the entire downstairs with wood flooring but couldn't upstairs and on the stairs because of the joist issues, the weight was too much so I just replaced it with new carpet. Hands down, I LOVED the wood floor. It was easy to clean and I put big area rugs in the dining and living area. Very few townhomes had wood flooring and when I put it up for sale, it was a HUGE bonus/plus. My place sold in less than 14 days. I think from a resale and cleaning factor, you can't go wrong. Yes, it is more expensive but I think in the long run, it is worth it.

Fast forward, I now live in a house that has 6 different kinds of flooring, courtesy of the previous owner. It drives me crazy and we are going to change it soon so we only have 2 kinds of flooring, wood and tile. I really don't like carpet anymore. We have berber carpet in guest bedrooms and closets and it has done ok, it is just really flattened out and no matter how much we have it cleaned, it just never looks completely "clean".

In Coppell, I used Coker Floor Co. (I believe they used to be called Southlake Flooring Company) out of Southlake and they did a fantastic job overall. There were 2 mishaps that was on them and they came out and fixed it immediately with no additional charge. They do everything...carpet, wood, engineered, tile, etc. Good luck!

Old 04-04-2015, 10:14 AM

I totally agree about the upside of wood flooring--

one issue is that our den area is like an island...has tile on 3 sides for halls and kitchen and one side has wood flooring from entry visible-- we would need to use this type of flooring in the den area. It is real wood--not engineered...(I Happened to be in this house when it was under construction by original owners--people we bought from several years later) but I don't know that we would be able to match it after 10 yrs...It is also a style that isn't really in favor...not distressed, more narrow width boards, and a medium brown which is lighter than what seems to be the more popular styles now...
Frankly I think it would be more expensive to lay it as well.

We are going to Nebraska Furniture Mart today maybe to check out their carpeting--prices seems really good...went to Lowes yesterday and looked at some-- found some we liked to compare and found website w/some info about carpet construction and quality so we know questions to ask

Old 04-04-2015, 12:18 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,765,944 times
That is exactly what we have. Our hallway/walk areas and kitchen area is tile with the living in laminate, like an island. I hate the laminate but that is another story. We have real wood in the library and all three areas are visible from the front entry. The wood is the older kind, but we plan on matching the wood, if that is possible, from the library to the rest of the house. I don't want to replace the libary since it is good condition. Decisions, decisions.

Funny, we were going to head to NFM today too but it is too far of a drive for us this late in the day. Let me know how it goes!

Old 04-04-2015, 05:09 PM

[quote=loves2read;39087736]I totally agree about the upside of wood flooring--

one issue is that our den area is like an island...has tile on 3 sides for halls and kitchen and one side has wood flooring from entry visible-- we would need to use this type of flooring in the den area. It is real wood--not engineered...(I Happened to be in this house when it was under construction by original owners--people we bought from several years later) but I don't know that we would be able to match it after 10 yrs...It is also a style that isn't really in favor...not distressed, more narrow width boards, and a medium brown which is lighter than what seems to be the more popular styles now...
Frankly I think it would be more expensive to lay it as well.

We are going to Nebraska Furniture Mart today maybe to check out their carpeting--prices seems really good...went to Lowes yesterday and looked at some-- found some we liked to compare and found website w/some info about carpet construction and quality so we know questions to ask[/

Maybe have your existing wood finished to match the new wood if you can talk your husband into it?

Old 04-06-2015, 11:54 AM

Lot of carpet but samples not labeled as detsiled as Lowes
Makes you use sales person more
Probably wont order from them
Most of what we liked they had no take home sample for

Old 04-06-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Lot of carpet but samples not labeled as detsiled as Lowes
Makes you use sales person more
Probably wont order from them
Most of what we liked they had no take home sample for
Bummer. We didn't use them so don't know about install but there is a place on 26 South of NRH2O and TCC there on the corner before you get to 820. Super nice people, they just didn't carry the line I had my heart set on. Maybe go see them and see if they have anything you like as far as samples.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:37 PM

Thanks
My daughter played softball (long time ago) w/girl who worked at flooring store on 121 going into FTW but she married few yrs ago
Don't know if she is still there

Old 04-07-2015, 10:05 AM

8,157 posts, read 8,381,973 times
I had new wood floors installed and then had all existing and new handscrapped and stained. It was the old narrow boards and used the same width with the new floors. They looked fabulous and once hand scraped and stained you could not tell width of boards easily. Looked wonderful. I used a general contractor so don't know who he subed the work out to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth