Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 01:21 PM

65 posts, read 79,331 times

Advertisements

We're closing on a home in 76016 later this month. My husband ran into a Grand Prairie cop (who lives in our new neighborhood) who told us that his biggest tips for safety are a dog and a storm door. I don't want either. The storm door may be an option. What do y'all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 01:27 PM

11,888 posts, read 26,989,179 times
I would not have a house without a storm door for both security and weather protection. Mine stays locked when I'm home without DH. That was the first thing I added when we bought our house!

Old 04-07-2015, 01:29 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,387,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holldog99 View Post
We're closing on a home in 76016 later this month. My husband ran into a Grand Prairie cop (who lives in our new neighborhood) who told us that his biggest tips for safety are a dog and a storm door. I don't want either. The storm door may be an option. What do y'all think?
Storm Door is yet another barrier for would be robber, attacker to get thru when you are home..I always keep my locked when home..cue for family or visitor to know Mom/friend isn't home...But the added benefit of reducing heat losses when opening door just to look outside as well ( energy saving long term). So yes..Great investment

As for would be robber's or anyone checking out vulnerability by sending someone to your door..KNOW up front..extra barrier there..avoid...Not to mention those pesky door to door sales/religious spreading the word folks..I motion/point to mailbox to leave flyer's, or sales brochure....and smile then wave as I close door As a shift worker..I appreciated the sense of security...but phone..was never turned off since school or work may have to contact me

Old 04-07-2015, 01:41 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,542,800 times
They are two more barriers to someone deciding your home is worth the risk. We've never had a storm door but I never want to be without a dog again. We are just waiting on our fence and then our search begins (our canine friend died this summer ).

Old 04-07-2015, 02:52 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,772,929 times
Our storm door was courtesy of the previous owners and was never put on right to begin with and over time completely faded the color of our front door so off it went and I did not replace it. My deterrent now is our dog, he barks and growls very loudly and rushes the door. Works like a charm.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:25 AM

150 posts, read 419,861 times
Storm doors all the way! We have very thick and sturdy storm doors on both outside doors, with locks/keys. Not only does it provide an extra layer of security like mentioned above, but we enjoy pulling down the window (our storm doors are all glass, with hidden screens that are only shown when the glass it pulled down) and letting the cool air go through the house. So it helps with energy costs too because we can usually do that instead of turn on the AC in the Spring

Old 04-08-2015, 09:49 AM

24,791 posts, read 11,190,300 times
We put one over the kitchen entrance. Now we can leave the door open during spring/fall and air the house out as it is on the weather side. Security? I do not see much in a storm door.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:33 AM

234 posts, read 290,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
They are two more barriers to someone deciding your home is worth the risk. We've never had a storm door but I never want to be without a dog again. We are just waiting on our fence and then our search begins (our canine friend died this summer ).
4Movingeast, if you decide to get another dog, I urge you to adopt from either the Humane Society or one of the breed specific rescue groups. Please do not buy a dog from a breeder or a shop.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:35 AM

234 posts, read 290,640 times
I do not have one where I live now, but I did have one whence I lived in a colder climate. I think do add a modicum of extra security, and they definitely help with the electric bill each month. I am in favour of them.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:48 PM

506 posts, read 2,154,122 times
We have a solid glass storm door on our front door (no screen) and have enjoyed it. We have a deep front porch so it's not needed for weather protection but we stand our front door open most of time when we're home and the full glass storm door lets in lots of natural light. It's always locked so I suppose it adds another layer of protection.

However, we're planning to replace our current front door this year with a nicer one with more glass on it so we might eliminate the storm door. We don't want it to detract from our nice, new door. Still mulling this one over!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth