Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 06:21 PM

9 posts, read 12,335 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

This is another moving and question thread. I am moving to work in downtown FW. I'd like to live as near as possible to downtown. As for a home I'm looking for something around 250K. Ideally I'd like something around 1500sqft and no HOA fees (so no condo). One thing that I'd very much like is to be within walking distance of a few restaurants/bars/shops (1 mile or so).

It looks like the market here is pretty overbought, so I'm trying to expand my search. So anyone here have any thoughts as to what areas I should be looking at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 07:31 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,697,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruslance View Post
Hello Everyone,

This is another moving and question thread. I am moving to work in downtown FW. I'd like to live as near as possible to downtown. As for a home I'm looking for something around 250K. Ideally I'd like something around 1500sqft and no HOA fees (so no condo). One thing that I'd very much like is to be within walking distance of a few restaurants/bars/shops (1 mile or so).

It looks like the market here is pretty overbought, so I'm trying to expand my search. So anyone here have any thoughts as to what areas I should be looking at?
FW is different from MPLS in that downtown is a bit of an island. It is surrounded by freeways, floodplains, and, in some directions, urban blight. Sure, there are some neighborhoods that have been fashioned "urban villages" but they aren't in walking distance to downtown and if you wanted to walk the 2-3 miles, well they aren't scenic that's for sure. I'd look at Fairmount or Arlington Heights.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the reply. I noticed that downtown was out of my price range. I will look into the areas you mentioned.

Also just to clarify, I am okay not being able to walk downtown, I'd just like some conveniences in walking distance and a low crime neighborhood whether in a suburb or in the metro area. In regards to downtown, I mostly am wanting as short a commute as possible

Old 04-21-2015, 09:42 PM

38 posts, read 46,899 times
You are moving to the right state! I grew up in Shakopee, have lived in TX for over 12 years, and it is a great place. With regards to Fort Worth, I'd suggest looking at a few suburbs north of Fort Worth, which have some great retail very nearby, safe and you will love the value you get in housing for your money. North Fort Worth, even Keller. Depends on how much you are willing to commute. Direct message me if you have other questions. We live out in that area, and simply love it. Commute to downtown Ft. Worth is 15-25 minutes depending on time of day...

Old 04-23-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbasedgirl View Post
You are moving to the right state! I grew up in Shakopee, have lived in TX for over 12 years, and it is a great place. With regards to Fort Worth, I'd suggest looking at a few suburbs north of Fort Worth, which have some great retail very nearby, safe and you will love the value you get in housing for your money. North Fort Worth, even Keller. Depends on how much you are willing to commute. Direct message me if you have other questions. We live out in that area, and simply love it. Commute to downtown Ft. Worth is 15-25 minutes depending on time of day...
Thanks for the input, and glad to hear it's a great place to relocate! As for N. Fort Worth/Keller I've heard horror stories on the commute. I don't mind traffic, but I'd definitely like to stay under 30mins during rush hour.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:22 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Then don't pick Keller or anything north of 820. I35W is currently being reconstructed and is an awful mess until at least 2018. The alternative routes are city streets with heavy traffic from everyone trying to avoid I35W!

Old 04-23-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Then don't pick Keller or anything north of 820. I35W is currently being reconstructed and is an awful mess until at least 2018. The alternative routes are city streets with heavy traffic from everyone trying to avoid I35W!
Thanks for the warning, which directions are better traffic wise?

Old 04-23-2015, 06:41 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Look in the Arlington Heights and Ridglea neighborhoods, and around TCU. Also, look south of I30 on Bryant-Irvin and Hulen Street for both houses and apartments. Avoid anything in Fort Worth that's east of 35W until you learn the area better.

The Fairmount area and along Magnolia Street just south of downtown might have exactly what you are looking for. Just be observant as the neighborhood changes quickly.

Traffic from the southwest and northeast are less bad than that from the north, south and west.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:15 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,535,854 times
Agree w/ PP advice and will put one more on your radar since it doesn't sound like you need public schools: Oakhurst, slightly NE of downtown w/ great access. Borders a rough neighborhood but is just a beautiful historic neighborhood, and one of my faves in the city.

Oakhurst Neighborhood Association

Old 04-25-2015, 10:04 AM

Thanks for all the input! Great information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth