Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2016, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,334 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, I've seen a couple older threads regarding the Eastern Hills area of Fort Worth and crime in the area. I'm considering moving to this area, because of the affordable mid century homes.

It's been interesting reviewing crime statistics and driving around. I can definitely see how there are these little pockets of homes that are very nice and well maintained. However, the bad apartment complexes that surround the area have me concerned.
The Gateway Park revitalization that is happening nearby seems like it will have a good impact on the area, but I'm not sure if it will be enough.

While it doesn't seem like a ton of the crime carries over into the neighborhoods, I'm curious if anyone actually lives here or moved from there recently that can provide some updated perspectives.

We're a 30s couple with no kids and no plans to have kids in school while we're in the area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 07:11 PM

641 posts, read 802,296 times
I am very familiar with this area. I'd live in Eastern Hills if you don't have to worry about schools. Stay towards the middle of it and away from Brentwood Stair Rd and Meadowbrook. Also stay away from the intersection of Weiler and Brentwood Stair. Some of the crummiest apartments are located in those block ranges of those streets.

Also, get a dog, gun, and alarm system. I'm not joking. I think most violent crime victims bring it on themselves by interacting with people that they shouldn't. Property Crime victims can often prevent it from having a dog and being smart. Don't leave your property unsecure in your yard. Lock your doors. Don't leave your garage up and open.

The biggest problem with living in that area is that you will eventually have to get gas or go shopping and you will be amongst some of the shadiest people. BUT, there are really good people on that side of town. They know their neighborhoods went down hill and the good people stick together to resolve issues.

If you have any additional questions, post it here or send a pm

Old 05-26-2016, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,334 times
Thanks so much for the quick tips. The house we're looking at definitely has great looking neighboring homes, and it's pretty much right in the middle of those two streets you're advising to stay away from.

I don't think the things I'm reading are deterring me necessarily, just indicating that I will need to be cautious of home security and where I choose to go late at night.

How is the community within Eastern Hills? Is there a crime watch group?

Old 05-26-2016, 08:11 PM

641 posts, read 802,296 times
I'm 90% sure there is a crime watch group. Honestly, late at night, there's nothing really to get into out there. You will likely visit other parts of the metro when going out late at night (Arlington, HEB, or other parts of FW).

I'm not trying to scare you or anyone away from the area. You can get great value out there. Just don't be oblivious to the fact that you will live in an area (not necessarily the neighborhood) where the occurrence of crime and drug possession/distribution is prevalent.

You should feel safe shopping at major chains in the area (Home Depot, Albertsons, Walmart, Target etc). I'd even feel safe getting gas from major gas stations (Exon @ 820 and meadowbrook, QT @ 820 and brentwood stair, gas stations on eastchase).

It's easier to mention the pockets of good/decent:

Shopping near Bridge and Bridgewood
Shopping off of Eastchase Pkwy

Be mindful of your surroundings and get to know your neighbors.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:02 PM

49 posts, read 60,257 times
I lived in Meadowbrook for the last 7 years and moved to White Lake Hills just a year ago. Both neighborhoods are neighbors to Eastern Hills if you aren't familiar. White Lakes Hills is across I30, behind Nolan Catholic. I also lived in West Meadowbrook back from 2001-2003, but it was worse back then. We almost bought a house in EH, actually. I am 33, no kids, just for reference.

The area is certainly getting better. We have noticed in the last 3 years or so that a lot more 20 & 30-somethings are coming to the area since it's now one the last of the affordable neighborhoods left, if you don't want a cookie cutter home. In fact, I sold my Meadowbrook house to another young professional! There is still a seedy element in areas, but go drive around Fairmount. I don't see that East FW is any worse, in my opinion. There is a strong sense of community here.

The worst part of living over here, I will say, is grocery shopping and dining choices. There's one store, Albertsons, and it kinda sucks. The dining choices, however, have really gotten better the last year or two, but you'll still be driving to 7th, downtown, etc. Good thing is you're still pretty close to all that and Race Street is not far, which is primed to be the next Magnolia Ave. (Future) Gateway Park and Tandy Hills Nature Preserve (seriously go check out Tandy Hills before summer hits and things are still blooming) are certainly underrated assets for the East Side.

Feel free to ask me anything.

-Brandon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth