Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 10:19 PM

3 posts, read 2,883 times

Advertisements

As the title says, I'm from Iowa and I'm planning to move to the Dallas-Fort Worth area around some time in May or early June. I'll be 24 years old in April. I'm moving because I'm pursuing my career. I don't have any family or friends in Texas, nor will any be moving with me.

My plan is to apply for a job with American Airlines or something to do with the airport so I'm able to fly back and forth to Iowa if need be.

So, as a young guy from Iowa, I have a few questions that I hope some of you can answer for me:

Is it cheaper to live in Fort Worth or Dallas? My budget for an apartment is around $600, max would be $700 or so.

I've been told that it's safer to live north of a certain highway that splits right in the middle of DFW. I've been told the name, but I can't think of it off the top of my head.

Any neighborhoods I should look into? Avoid?

Is public transportation like the tram helpful? Or is that for those who are mainly in the Dallas city center?

Feel free to post anything else you think may be useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 11:50 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,216,689 times
Your budget is too low for a decent 1 bedroom in a safe neighborhood. It's lower than what I paid in the late 90s for a one bedroom in an older complex. You also can't rely on public transport to get around Fort Worth. Do you have experience that would make you a good candidate for getting an airport job? I hate to be negative. I understand the desire to move to a larger, more cosmopolitan area that supposedly has more opportunities but you really need to a lot more research, planning and saving before you're ready.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:54 PM

Well that's why I'm here. I'm here to ask locals for any info they can give me about the area before I make my decision on where to live.

As for my budget, well unfortunately that's how it goes. I have no friends interested in tagging along and I only have family located in Iowa. Between car payments, insurance, phone, and so on, I don't have any extra income for a larger rent.

But as I said, I'm here to research and plan before my move. I've already looked into a few apartments, and I've been fortunate enough to talk to a few DFW locals face to face who just happened to visit Iowa.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:02 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,267,122 times
$600-$700 should be able to get you a safe place with a roommate. Fort Worth is defiantly cheaper than Dallas. Dallas has more going on for young adults lifestyle wise, (I'm 25) so I usually don't go to Fort Worth all that often.

That isn't to say if it make more sense for me to live on the western side of the metroplex that I would hesitate to live in Fort Worth, the Stock yards are unique and sun dance square is nice, but as far as going out on the weekends, Dallas has more options. Where I live I'm a $5-$10 Uber or Lyft from Uptown, Deep Ellum, Trinity Groves, Bishop Arts, Knox-Henderson and Lower Greenville. Fort Worth simply doesnt have that variety.

You may want to check out Irving. it is near the airport, in the middle of the metroplex and there are still some affordable apartments. I wouldn't recommend south of 183 until you are familiar with the area because some people think it is sketchy. ( I personally think it is mostly fine.)

Old 02-11-2017, 07:16 AM

100 posts, read 90,184 times
Fort Worth isn't really near the airport. I suggest looking at Arlington, Irving and Bedford areas. You'll need a car to live in DFW.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
$600-$700 should be able to get you a safe place with a roommate. Fort Worth is defiantly cheaper than Dallas. Dallas has more going on for young adults lifestyle wise, (I'm 25) so I usually don't go to Fort Worth all that often.

That isn't to say if it make more sense for me to live on the western side of the metroplex that I would hesitate to live in Fort Worth, the Stock yards are unique and sun dance square is nice, but as far as going out on the weekends, Dallas has more options. Where I live I'm a $5-$10 Uber or Lyft from Uptown, Deep Ellum, Trinity Groves, Bishop Arts, Knox-Henderson and Lower Greenville. Fort Worth simply doesnt have that variety.

You may want to check out Irving. it is near the airport, in the middle of the metroplex and there are still some affordable apartments. I wouldn't recommend south of 183 until you are familiar with the area because some people think it is sketchy. ( I personally think it is mostly fine.)
Thanks for the useful info. I checked out Irving and there were a few apartments that I really liked. They were a bit above my budget but were really close to the airport, which is really convenient.

I'm also looking into Bedford and Euless as well. Euless also has a number of apartments I'm interested in. Keeping close to the airport would be nice, hopefully there isn't too much noise pollution in these areas.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:06 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Make sure your apartment isn't in the flight path of the runways. They primarily run north and south, but one of them goes diagonally. Euless is usually away from the noise.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:28 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,317,302 times
With a budget of $600-700, if you find something safe that's not roach infested in your budget, don't let airplane noise stop you. You get used to it in weeks, if not days.

That being said, I think you'll be hard pressed to find something in an unsafe neighborhood in your budget without qualifying for section 8. I was paying $600 or so for a one bedroom in Bedford 15 years ago when apartment rent was relatively low.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:03 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
600-700 can get you a nice apartment where I live but not in Fort Worth or Dallas.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:15 AM

9 posts, read 12,335 times
I'm from Iowa (been a long time though). To answer your questions, I imagine the highway is I-30. As for areas to live, definitely focus on Fort Worth in Dallas your budget is fit only for cardboard.

Furthermore, If you are going to be inside the loop (Highway 820) stick to to West of I-35. If you do that you will be in a decently safe neighborhood. Although many of the lower end apartments will be similar to what you'd find in city center DSM. You certainly won't be living in posh apartments with a gym and what-not.

Finally, I'd like to reiterate the concerns of everyone else to comment on your thread - really think long and hard about relocating without securing employment first. There are many jobs to be had in the area, and you can easily apply before you move down here. Most employers now are okay with phone interviews and are willing to work with out of towners. If you feel you must be available for an in person interview then read on. While the drive to DFW is long from Iowa, you should be able to do it in 12-14 hours. If you want to apply and appear from the local area get a PO Box or Mailbox from a UPS Store in DFW, apply, and drive down for your job interviews and stay overnight at a hotel the night before. This will save you money and will be less risk. Once you get a position, then you should be able to drive down and find an apartment within two weeks that you can afford.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth