Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 09:42 PM

33 posts, read 35,783 times

Advertisements

We purchased this home brand new in 2006 as a starter home. It has been great for 11 years. Two kids born while we were here and are now 4 and 9. We are now ready to move up to a nicer home....but we are getting a lot of negative feedback from our all bedrooms upstairs home.

I never envisioned starter home buyers would be so picky. One story homes around me fly off the shelf lately. They usually sell in a week with multiple offers. We purposely chose our home over single story homes because they lacked open floor plans. Lots of small choppy rooms with hall ways taking up space.

Not happy that my home is getting lowball offers because of the floor plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 05:30 AM

1,158 posts, read 964,818 times
My two story home has the master downstairs. I think many people prefer that layout now vs. all bedrooms upstairs.

Are there any features of your home that can be played up to distract from the layout?

Good luck!

Old 05-09-2017, 07:39 AM

712 posts, read 845,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrorider100 View Post
We purchased this home brand new in 2006 as a starter home. It has been great for 11 years. Two kids born while we were here and are now 4 and 9. We are now ready to move up to a nicer home....but we are getting a lot of negative feedback from our all bedrooms upstairs home.

I never envisioned starter home buyers would be so picky. One story homes around me fly off the shelf lately. They usually sell in a week with multiple offers. We purposely chose our home over single story homes because they lacked open floor plans. Lots of small choppy rooms with hall ways taking up space.

Not happy that my home is getting lowball offers because of the floor plan.

Be patient - homes that 'sell in a week' are UNDER-PRICED imho, so don't let that guide your expectations. In reality, it takes at least a month for your house to really 'hit the market' and start showing up on the radar for most searching for home that matches yours parameters.

Our 'all-br-upstairs' home also took slightly longer to sell (to be expected when majority of people these days are fat and lazy --- an all upstairs is actually what they NEED... heh heh - IGNORE THAT FEEDBACK, as there is nothing you can change) - but we got top dollar when the RIGHT buyers came along.

Last edited by oldoak2000; 05-09-2017 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 05-09-2017, 08:16 AM

I guess the key is to be patient, and the right buyer will come along. We have been in many of these single story starter homes for kids birthday parties, and getting 10 people in the house is very crowded with some standing. Our open floor plan can easily accommodate 15 sitting and 5 standing, and the kids have a playroom to themselves upstairs. Our house is the "go to" home for every family holiday for it's openness. Other family member have bigger homes, but that usually leads to some sitting in living area, some in kitchen, kids retreating to downstairs master.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:25 AM

663 posts, read 1,726,884 times
Homes cost a lot of money. People are going to be picky. I'm under contract now on an all-br-upstairs home. It sat for a while. It's something I personally don't care either way on but I am aware that it will affect the resale of the home and offered accordingly. Floor plan does affect desirability, but it's something you can't change. You can either lower your price or wait for the right buyer. Any house that sits for any length of time will get lowball offers. What you have to determine is if the offer is really a "lowball" or if it's a reasonable offer that's just lower than your expectations. Your realtor should be able to help you with that.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
My two story home has the master downstairs. I think many people prefer that layout now vs. all bedrooms upstairs.

Are there any features of your home that can be played up to distract from the layout?

Good luck!

Not really any features that could distract you from the layout. When you walk into the home it is very open downstairs. Kitchen and living area dominate the space, with a 10 x10 office. My family leads a very active lifestyle, so we spend 90% of our time downstairs, and own our large covered patio area. Bedrooms are primarily for end of night bedtime. The kids have their own playroom/game room and they spend time there watching movies and playing games.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:06 AM

70 posts, read 74,525 times
We stayed away from all up rooms...and over our year long course look for a house...these houses have tended to price 10%ish less than a comparable master down, or 1 story.

But we always looked as what if one of us...or older family visiting...couldn't get up stairs due to age, injury, etc.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persdawg View Post
We stayed away from all up rooms...and over our year long course look for a house...these houses have tended to price 10%ish less than a comparable master down, or 1 story.

But we always looked as what if one of us...or older family visiting...couldn't get up stairs due to age, injury, etc.

Thanks for your feedback. Our parents and in-laws all live in the metroplex. Our only overnight guest have been younger family members in their 20's - 30's. In 11 years we never had to deal with an injury or stair issue. Not sure why we have an affinity for open space over a single story. Different strokes for different folks I guess.......but at a 10% cost to me.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:10 PM

1,158 posts, read 964,818 times
That floor plan might work for families with younger children. Be patient the right buyer will come along!

Old 05-11-2017, 08:50 AM

Got up this morning to check my Zillow owners report as usual. All comparable homes in my immediate area are under contract. My neighbor 5 doors down was one of them, he was on the market 3 days with multiple offers and accepted $6K over list price. Maybe if there is nothing else left on the market we will get more looks. (sounds bad)

Okay I have to be patient.......not easy right now. I will take a break from watching the number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth