Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2017, 09:55 PM

4 posts, read 6,407 times

Advertisements

I'll be relocating to Fort Worth in January for a job at UNTHSC and am hoping to get insight on the best places to live.

For reference, I am mid 30's, single, and female. I will be moving from another large metropolitan area in which I am within the city limits but in a neighborhood with lots of amenities.

My first instinct is to of course stay closer to work and in the city and live somewhere like Arlington Heights (or Fairmount/TCU/etc). I love the idea of a shorter commute and being around lots of other young professionals and an area with plenty of shops and restaurants.

However, my money will obviously go way further if I move a little more out. Keller and Arlington look ok and i love the homes I could get out there, but not sure if I am ready for a) the commute and b) the suburbs.

Any suggestions/experience would be greatly appreciated. I will be flying out in a few months to look at homes and would love to have some areas narrowed down.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 08:41 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,216,689 times
What do you like to do with your free time? What neighborhood amenities are important to you? What's your housing budget? Any pets?

Old 07-04-2017, 11:42 AM

4 posts, read 6,407 times
Good questions--

In my free time I have been volunteering at a local animal shelter for years, I like to go on rambling walks with my dog, and I like going to new restaurants and bars. I also just like to grab a cup of coffee and people watch. In terms of amenities, my ideal world would to live somewhere residential but that is only a few minute walk away from some sort of neighborhood "main street" with restaurants, shops, bars, etc. In my current neighborhood (which I am super sad to be leaving), it's a 5 minute walk to plenty of shops, restaurants, a tiny movie theater, neighborhood library etc. I feel like I can get most anything around me without a drive, but things are still easily accessible when I do drive. I realize that my current neighborhood is a gem, but I would like to find something as similar as I can. In terms of budget, the top is about 400k, but ideally would fall closer to 300k and I want at least 2 beds and 2 baths as well as a yard (doesn't have to be huge) for my dog to romp in.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:26 PM

Honestly, you're not going to find all that in Fort Worth within walking distance. Be prepared to drive. There's some great homes near TCU that are within walking distance of a grocery store, restaurants and the campus of course. The college offers sporting events and lots of different cultural events such as evening classes, plays, movie screenings, art shows, etc. The Museum District is close to UNTHSC and offers lots of restaurants, museums and live theater within walking distance. You might also consider the near Southside. It's an up and coming quirky area with a real neighborhood feel that has shops, bars, and restaurants within walking distance. If you like to take long walks with your dog I would consider looking somewhere near the Trinity Trail which is a 40+ miles network of trails that goes throughout the city.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:28 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Look on your first post. We gave you lots of good suggestions there.

Keller is family central and is not walkable at all.

Arlington has some nice neighborhoods, and some rough ones. Aside from downtown and UTA, it's not walkable.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:53 PM

I am a fan of Arlington but I don't think it'll meet your needs in terms of being walkable. I agree with ChristieP that Keller is not a good choice for you at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth