Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2008, 07:31 AM

6 posts, read 24,180 times

Advertisements

We're moving to the Ft Worth area this June...we'll be in a corporate apartment for a couple of months while we decide where to buy a house...most likely Keller, Colleyville or Grapevine. I'd like to line up some activities for my five year old son to help with the transition and so he can make some friends. Anyone have suggestions? I'm already scoping out the parks and recreations sites for the suburbs we're looking at. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 09:22 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
There are all kinds of summer camps if that interests you, go to the Star-Telegram website and search for summer camps...they just recently had a couple of articles specifically on them.

Best bet for making friends that he might keep for school is either hit the local parks in the mid mornings, or enroll him in a child care center camp for the summer in your area. Anywhere else will bring kids from all over and not necessarily any he might go to school with.

There are numerous water activities to choose from in the area. Keller Pointe has indoor and outdoor small water parks. NRH2O is a bit larger water park in North Richland Hills. Then there's Hurrican Harbor in Arlington across I30 from Six Flags.

Keller has a really fun arcade place great for kids called Tornado Terry's.

There's numerous minature golf places, skating and bowling all close by.

The Fort Worth Zoo is awesome.

River Legacy Park in Arlington is fantastic for those who love nature.

There's just tons of things to do. That just barely skims the surface.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:37 AM

Thanks so much. We're definitely planning on hitting neighborhood parks in the mornings, I'm hoping that will help me decide which area is right for us.

I'm finding good summer camps through the Grapevine rec department's website. For some reason, the rec departments for Keller and Colleyville don't have their summer schedules up yet.

I'll check out the Star-Telegram site next.

Thanks again.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:47 AM

1,379 posts, read 6,424,364 times
We have my DD in swimming lessons over at Aqua Kids in Keller - AquaKids®, Inc.

We started there about a year ago and met a few great friends that have led to other things to do.

We are also partial to Lets Jump in Keller off of Kroger and 377. Its 7.00 a day and they have in and out priviledges. They have three rooms of bounce houses and so fun for birthday parties.

There is always something going on in the area from different festivals and such.

Here is also a link to the local kids publication - Fort Worth Child Events

Old 04-14-2008, 07:42 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
you might also check the local libraries for story time

the area YMCAs have summer camps if you want/can afford something like that

there are vacation bible schools at area churches during the summer and most churches will allow people to enroll who are not their members

Old 04-14-2008, 11:19 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
My sister takes 5 year old son go to the Fort Worth Science Museum once a week. They learn all kinds of cool stuff about dinosaurs, space, etc. and he is always very excited to go.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:31 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
My sister takes 5 year old son go to the Fort Worth Science Museum once a week. They learn all kinds of cool stuff about dinosaurs, space, etc. and he is always very excited to go.
Can't quite do that right now as it was torn down months ago and is being rebuilt, though you can find parts of it located in the Cowgirl Museum temporarily.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 6,361 times
Also keep a look out for Free Summer Movies for kids usually all AMC and Rave Movies in NRH has them at 10 am on Wednesdays.

For school age children all of the Tarrant County Colleges have a College for Kids program that last for 3 weeks. You choose 4 educational classes that your child attends for 1/2 a day M-Th.

Also Hurst and NRH libraries have a Summer Book Reading Club (you don't have to be a resident). You get prizes based on the number of books you read.

For the Lets Jump in Keller off of Kroger and 377. The normal admission is $7, however if you by a stamp book for $50 for 10 admissions you save $20!! You can leave go eat and come back this has been money well spend with 2 kids.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:42 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for all of the wonderful idea. We're so overwhelmed selling our house here in DC I haven't had as much time as I like to think about what is going to happen after the big move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth