Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2008, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,025 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife are originally from Colorado, but we live in Atlanta, GA area right now. I work for Lockheed Martin and relocating to Fort Worth in May.

We are looking for ideas to move to as we have a 4 year old daughter and a 16 year old boy. I am looking for a good school and a place where there isn't that much trouble as I know there is no place that doesn't have some. Also we are looking for a home below $160K with 3+ rooms and 2+ bath. We currently have a DR Horton home 5 bedroom and 3 bath which we have to sell in GA.

Big issue is does anyone have any good ideas as in rentals or anything where my mother could live, lol. Currently she is crashed with us, but that has got to stop when when get there. She is 60 and a pain in the butt under the roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 05:29 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,424,364 times
LOL!!! We lived with my Mom for eight months while trying to find out house, so I DEFINATELY know what you mean .

There are quite a few DR Horton subdivisions. Are you going to be working in the Alliance area where the main Lockheed building is or somewhere else? Tehema Ridge is a DR Horton subdivision to the west of 35W at Heritage Trace.

There are honestly just a lot of places to look - Heritage, Crawford Farms, Chadwick Farms, Tehema Ridge, Saratoga that are all in the area and would get you in on that price point and with good schools too and lots of activities for your kids.

I have my 4 yr old over at swimming at Aqua Kids in the Heritage development. My mom lives in a little house in Saginaw and is great with her for maintenance as it is new and she doesn't have a lot to do.

Good luck in your move!

Old 04-12-2008, 06:23 PM

5 posts, read 14,063 times
Beware of Lockheed!!! They laid my mom off after 16 years as a computer programer, with no warning. And they only gave her 4 weeks of serverance pay! After she was out of work for a whole year, they offered her a 6 month contract and a pay-cut, like they were throwing her a bone or something. Nobody's job is ever safe at Lockheed because they rely on government contracts, when money gets tight or a contract comes to a close, out the door you go! You won't have a problem finding a nice, new, large home here, they're everywhere. But crime is bad out here, a little bit of the old west attitudes still exist. So I suggest getting alarms on your house even if the area looks safe, rich teenage kids are some of the worst criminals around here. And always lock your car, and I wouldn't drive anything flashy either, you will get jacked. I don't mean to frighten you, but there is a reason the DFW area has the worst crime rate in the nation!

Old 04-12-2008, 06:55 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
wholesale statements " like crime is bad " just don't work--
I think anyone is pretty smart to lock your car most of the time whether you are in or out of it--and yes, there are areas that do have problems with crimes--minor or major--

but most of those are usually inside FTW city limits and in certain pockets in other towns around ftw--they are not widespread and can certainly be avoided--
case in point--my husband and I went out of town a couple of weekends ago and by accident left the front door unlocked (and we don't have a security system)--nothing happened--and we have lived in our neighborhood for over 20 years and I can't remember a burglary happening here--a couple of acts of vandalism yes--and usually from teens some within the neighborhood or the surrounding area--some loud parties--beer cans thrown on people's lawns--but nothing major...

it just depends on where you live...
Panterachich--cite your authority for your claim that DFW has the worst crime rate in the nation

Old 04-12-2008, 07:03 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
AOL has list of the 15 most dangerous cities in US in 2008
Detroit being #1 and no TX cities in the top 15...

Old 04-12-2008, 07:54 PM

5 posts, read 14,063 times
I'm not talking about one city, I'm talking about the whole ugly metroplex TOGETHER.... That's ok, I'm leaving you all to your meaningless lives as soon as possible.... More money, more money, that's all what life's about, huh....

Old 04-13-2008, 09:32 PM

50 posts, read 196,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panterachick2002 View Post
I'm not talking about one city, I'm talking about the whole ugly metroplex TOGETHER.... That's ok, I'm leaving you all to your meaningless lives as soon as possible.... More money, more money, that's all what life's about, huh....
Please let me know where you're moving to....so I can avoid it !

Old 04-14-2008, 04:01 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panterachick2002 View Post
Were you the victim of a violent crime? I moved here about 13 years from Chicago and I have never regretted the decision. 90% of the people are friendly, courteous, you never drive in Chicago and people just waive at you as you drive through like in Texas. It also rubs on you.

Ok, I'm make this longer.

When we moved, we drove from Chicago, daughter was 2 and son was 4 months, hubby and 2 cats. We drove straight to the title company and closed on the new house, got the keys and got home. The movers (from chicago) wanted us to pay them in the form of a cashier's check before they could unload the trucks. This was impossible because we just moved here and didn't open an account yet. So they kept our stuff for over 24 hours on both 18 wheelers in front of the house before they got their 10K.

That first night, there was a bad spring storm. We were too tired and excited to be in our new home... we slept on the floor instead of finding a hotel. Around midnight, a neighbor knocked on the door, it was pouring outside and he gave us a bunch of candles and matches because he said that he knew we just moved and our candles are probably boxed up. He couldn't be more right.

The next morning, a couple of other neighbors came by and brought us food, they said that they heard from the neighbor that our stuff was still on the truck and that we had little kids.

How nice was that??? complete strangers nice to each other. I tell you, it rubs on you. If you're nice to people, they will be nice to you as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth