Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2019, 04:11 PM

43 posts, read 42,187 times

Advertisements

Lived in North Dallas for the past 3 years, bought an old 1960 home that is ending up more trouble than we want to deal with.
I got a great job in Forth Worth near Haltom City/Watauga, and my wife is working in Irving right now but can get a job next year closer.

The houses out there are fantastic for the price and my co-workers are all about the west side of the Metroplex.

Tell me if we sell and buy over in either Saginaw, Roanoke, or north Watauga we would be happy there?
I’m used to Dallas but it’s not like we go downtown that often anyway.

Any issues we should be aware of? I don’t understand why it’s so much cheaper there still, and why houses sit on the market longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 06:40 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Are schools important to you? Haltom schools are not great, which is a big reason why prices are so low. Watauga isn’t much better.

The stretch of north Loop 820 between Mark IV Parkway and east Loop 820 is horribly, horribly congested every day. It’s one of the most congested pieces of highway in DFW. Your wife’s commute to Irving will put her on that road 2x daily. Most people are not willing to put up with that commute.

Roanoke or Keller will be much, much better. Look at North Richland Hills, too.

Old 11-19-2019, 07:13 PM

We were also looking at Roanoke. We can’t afford Keller or that would be our first choice...
My wife keeps claiming it’s fine to commute far if it’s only temporary, but I’m doing the Farmers Branch to Haltom commute now and it sucks. Left-lane campers and everybody going 10 mph under the limit all the time...
What about Saginaw itself near 287?

Old 11-20-2019, 07:48 AM

160 posts, read 196,124 times
Every time I drove down 287 i just feel dirty. The people may be nice but its just not a pretty area of town. Very "industrial" feeling. Personally I would choose Roanoke or Haslet instead. Colleyville is a little more central to both your work locations. Not sure about house prices in that area though.

Traffic suck on every major highway on the north side of DFW. Its just a fact of life.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:16 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
If Keller is too expensive, then Colleyville will be even more too expensive. You're looking at $400k minimum for a house there. All of the little old farmhouses and fixer-uppers were snatched up by developers years ago, and now it's McMansion central.

I agree about Saginaw being very industrial and not upscale at all. I get the same feeling.

OP, if you have a low budget for buying, you might look at renting for a few years. Also, this will help you get more familiar with the area.

Old 11-20-2019, 09:50 AM

1,158 posts, read 959,756 times
I would totally avoid Saginaw at all costs. Lived in that area when I first moved to Fort Worh 15 years ago. The area has really gone downhill in my opinion.

We had purchased a new DR Horton home when the area was more rural and then they built a bunch of low income apartments and a liquor store near our neighborhood.

The elementary school my kids attended went from an exemplary rating -- to great teachers fleeing for other districts in less than 5 years.

We decided to move after we were walking and saw a drug bust in the Saginaw High School parking lot on a Sunday.

The traffic is a nightmare as are the trains. You will be stuck waiting for trains frequently.

You will spend several hours a day in your car commuting from Saginaw to Farmers branch (more when it rains). I made that drive for 2 years 15 years ago and can't imagine how bad the traffic is today with all the people that have moved here.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:15 AM

Our max budget is $250k, so Keller and Colleyville are a no-go...I am surprised to hear comments about Saginaw being industrial? We are going to check out the area this weekend. My coworker claims it to be pretty Mayberry overall, but we will see.
I’m still conflicted about moving that far west. Checking out homes in the Bedford area as well though it doesn’t seem that great. But I know I’m partial to North Dallas because it’s home to me now.
We should have no issue selling our current home at least.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
I would totally avoid Saginaw at all costs. Lived in that area when I first moved to Fort Worh 15 years ago. The area has really gone downhill in my opinion.

We had purchased a new DR Horton home when the area was more rural and then they built a bunch of low income apartments and a liquor store near our neighborhood.

The elementary school my kids attended went from an exemplary rating -- to great teachers fleeing for other districts in less than 5 years.

We decided to move after we were walking and saw a drug bust in the Saginaw High School parking lot on a Sunday.

The traffic is a nightmare as are the trains. You will be stuck waiting for trains frequently.

You will spend several hours a day in your car commuting from Saginaw to Farmers branch (more when it rains). I made that drive for 2 years 15 years ago and can't imagine how bad the traffic is today with all the people that have moved here.
I was definitely not expecting this. That is very discouraging.

We found a 1976 house in Bedford just south of 183 that we like. How about that area?

Old 11-20-2019, 03:07 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
I would avoid anything feeding to Saginaw HS.

It is the complete opposite of Mayberry.

DM me if you want more details.

Buying in Keller ISD would be a much better investment. If you can't afford feeding into Keller HS, look into feeding into Timber Creek HS or Central HS (avoid Fossil Ridge HS).

Old 11-20-2019, 03:49 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
You could also look into the area feeding into Birdville HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth