Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 05:59 PM

86 posts, read 199,403 times

Advertisements

I am considering retiring in the Metroplex area. I am looking for lakefront property in an established community...homes probably in the range of $600K to $1M. Does the DFW area have any sizeable lakes that stand out as good choices to live on that are within a 30-60 minute drive of DFW airport or Love Field? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 10:15 AM

37 posts, read 91,898 times
Hi, Bill. I would recommend Eagle Mountain Lake. It's one of the largest in the area and has some excellent properties that fit your price point. There are even some new homes on the lake as well. Please let me know if you would like any information. Thanks!

- Megan

Old 01-06-2010, 02:01 AM

73 posts, read 271,708 times
Grapevine has the best property tax rates by far, a cool rustic downtown, and a decent full service hospital close to any lake front property you choose. Flower Mound - also on Lake Grapevine - will have more to choose from on the high end, but that includes higher tax rates. Commuting should not be a concern for your situation. Both are close to DFW, so be sure your house is not under a flight path...

Old 01-06-2010, 06:46 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
find an mls site and do a search--there are plenty that have a map search feature so you can locate the lakes close to airports--eagle mtn, Grapevine, ray hubbard (in a pinch)

Old 01-09-2010, 07:12 AM

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I will do further research on this area.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:13 AM

Thank you for your insight...I'll definitely look harder into this area.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:15 AM

Thank you so much for your input. Is Lake Dallas/Lewisville Lake worth looking at....say around the Colony or Frisco?

Old 01-09-2010, 03:23 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Lake Lewisville usually has stories in the summer on tv about boating accidents or people boating and drinking--it is one of the busiest lakes for traffic---probably because there are so many homes in the area so people have access very easily...

Eagle Mtn Lake has been victim past decade or so of the drought in this area--when other lakes were above their release zones this spring/summer due to the heavy rains, Eagle Mtn was still below normal--
so I would definitely make sure that if I bought house on it that the lot was at the deep part of the lake vs shallow part....

Most of lakes in this area does not allow building to water line for those that are Corps of Engineers lakes--Lake Grapevine is one and Lewisville is another I think--there is buffer zone around it where you lease the land from the Corp on long-term lease--usually can't build a dock there without special permit and some areas are closed for new docks--so I would certainly check status of that if you really want water-front with dock

Google corps of engineer lakes Texas and you will get a list
most lakes in this area also serve as water catchments for city water sources for Dallas and Fort Worth
the draw down for city's needs can have big impact on water quality during dry spells...

good site for checking specifically for lake homes is
Lakehouse.com Home Page real estate, lakefront properties, lake property, lake homes for sale, waterfront properties, lakefront, waterfront
you can search advanced and get any homes for sale within certain mileage--covers all areas of the US--not just TX--
most listings have photos but maps of locations are more iffy

just remember that depending on when the photos were taken, if the lake was up--it may not stay that way--
99% of lakes in TX are man-made and most of them are fairly shallow compared to lakes in other states like Minnesota or New York
water quality can vary as well--if you see yourself swimming off your dock--some lakes are VERY murky--
Possum Kingdom lake west of FTW probably has some of the clearest water in the state
Lake Grapevine is not a clear lake for the most part

Old 01-09-2010, 07:52 PM

Thank you again so much for the terrific insight. I am very familiar with Lakehouse.com (it's one of my saved websites). Unfortunately only a fraction of homes that are listed for any particular lake are on the site. I use mostly to compare average real estate prices between regions. I do want to swim and fish in the lake and also have my own dock, so your information about water level variance is priceless.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:58 AM

37 posts, read 91,898 times
Hi, Bill.

Please feel free to send me a private message and I will tell you how to access listings on my website, including lakefront homes.

Thanks!

Megan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth