Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 04:24 PM

368 posts, read 1,785,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
Dallas and the suburbs are where it is at.
I hope you enjoy the disaster which is Plano/Richardson/Frisco/McKinney(!). Soon, it'll be southern Oklahoma.

We'd been gone 12 years...lived at 9K feet of elevation in CO, in the Portland, OR, area, and Vegas for four years, then Austin for just under 12 months.

My wife argued we should give Dallas another shot...we're both natives, family is here, our parents are getting up there in years, so why not?

I said, "there is no way I'm living in Dallas or Collin counties...and I'll do my best to not work there, either. You must not remember why we left."

Fort Worth is fine with me.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:11 PM

150 posts, read 694,229 times
Quote:
Fort Worth really doesn't have anything. Dallas and the suburbs are where it is at.
I've lived here for almost a year now and haven't gone into Dallas at all, other than to drive thru it to visit relatives in Plano. And I can honestly say I'm never bored. IMO, FW has it all (not dallas). And you can get almost anywhere from Point A to Point B in about 10 minutes. So I've got it all, and I have time to enjoy it too

Old 05-26-2010, 06:35 PM

744 posts, read 1,847,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle_Gal View Post
I've lived here for almost a year now and haven't gone into Dallas at all, other than to drive thru it to visit relatives in Plano. And I can honestly say I'm never bored. IMO, FW has it all (not dallas). And you can get almost anywhere from Point A to Point B in about 10 minutes. So I've got it all, and I have time to enjoy it too
What does Fort Worth have that Dallas doesn't??

Old 05-26-2010, 07:04 PM

212 posts, read 477,530 times
Among many things, a Michelangelo...

Old 05-26-2010, 07:21 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
Yes, certainly more impressive art museums than Dallas. However, the question wasn't whether Dallas was more of a major city than Fort Worth. Unquestionably it is. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't care to live in either. Dallas is too big for my tastes; Fort Worth seems a bit too provincial. I don't like the North Texas prairie in either case. I don't find either city terribly attractive. I lived in Austin in two separate stretches for a total of 22 years and like everything about that city except for the hassle of flying from there to Europe (or about any other destination, including a lot of domestic ones) and the horrible and unending Texas summer heat. But every Texas city is unique and has something that the others don't. Fort Worth has a great zoological park and the arts complex, in particular, as standout cultural resources. Unless you confine yourself to some small parts of Dallas and stay off the freeways there, Fort Worth is a lot more liveable than Dallas IMO.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:24 PM

640 posts, read 1,732,169 times
Quote:
Just wondering if that is a fair comparison?? I think so.
i don't think they are comparable at all!

Old 05-26-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Yes, certainly more impressive art museums than Dallas. However, the question wasn't whether Dallas was more of a major city than Fort Worth. Unquestionably it is. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't care to live in either. Dallas is too big for my tastes; Fort Worth seems a bit too provincial. I don't like the North Texas prairie in either case. I don't find either city terribly attractive. I lived in Austin in two separate stretches for a total of 22 years and like everything about that city except for the hassle of flying from there to Europe (or about any other destination, including a lot of domestic ones) and the horrible and unending Texas summer heat. But every Texas city is unique and has something that the others don't. Fort Worth has a great zoological park and the arts complex, in particular, as standout cultural resources. Unless you confine yourself to some small parts of Dallas and stay off the freeways there, Fort Worth is a lot more liveable than Dallas IMO.
Not trying to be combative, but in my many years of life I've lived in Fort Worth, Dallas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York City, Albany NY, Philadelphia, and now Austin. In my opinion, for quality of life, Fort Worth is far superior to Austin and Dallas, in Texas. Austin has a great PR machine which does a superior job of marketing it to meaningless top 10 lists, despite its many deficits. Dallas is the Manhattan of Texas. Houston is the big, industrial, burly Chicago of Texas. Again, in my opinion, Fort Worth, not Austin, is the San Francisco of Texas, not because of liberalness, but because of its fierce independence, unique culture, passion for the arts, and money (no other city its size in the US, besides SF, can claim the concentration of wealth). And hell no, it's no Orange County. Not enough tanning salons....

Old 05-26-2010, 08:56 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
And I've always felt that Fort Worth was just a bigger Lubbock! I'd say Austin is more your San Francisco, if one must draw such comparisons. Austin is situated in a geographically beautiful part of Texas; Fort Worth is not. Austin has a great funky Southwestern hip vibe. Fort Worth has -- what? Not that I'm trying to be combative or anything.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:36 PM

150 posts, read 694,229 times
[quote=doctorjef;14355198]And I've always felt that Fort Worth was just a bigger Lubbock! [quote]

Seriously?? Have you driven down 7th Street lately? Checked out the arts scene? I've lived all over the place too (Houston, Phoenix, Chicago, Miami, NYC, DC) and FW is a surprisingly vibrant little (ie livable) city. Glad I landed here

Old 05-27-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
And I've always felt that Fort Worth was just a bigger Lubbock! I'd say Austin is more your San Francisco, if one must draw such comparisons. Austin is situated in a geographically beautiful part of Texas; Fort Worth is not. Austin has a great funky Southwestern hip vibe. Fort Worth has -- what? Not that I'm trying to be combative or anything.
Having lived in Fort Worth, San Francisco, and now Austin, I would say Austin is the overrated Lubbock. Not Fort Worth. I'd give Lubbock more points than Austin. Austin has an oddly misplaced perception amongst those that don't know better and read forums like this. It's a vast traffic-filled, ugly strip mall, poorly governed, over property taxed, psuedo-city flooded with homeless zombies and poorly washed 20 somethings. It's the the worst city in Texas, by far. While the hills around it are pretty, they are not actually Austin, and not accessible by most of the ugliness wandering most of this city. However, any city in Texas is better than any place in Delaware...! Been there on Amtrak traveling from NYC to DC. Wow, Delaware - super scary...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth