Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 08:27 AM

148 posts, read 370,378 times

Advertisements

In a couple of weeks, I will need to attend a work-related meeting in downtown DC near the Farragut North metro station and I need to be there by 9:45 am. It's a one-time only meeting, not a regular work commute. (thankfully)

I live and work in the Frederick area so I'm not very comfortable with using public transportation. I've researched a couple of options but I'd like to get some feedback from those of you who are more familiar with making the Frederick to DC commute.

Option #1) Take the MTA 991 commuter bus from the Monocacy station behind Target to the Shady Grove metro stop.

Option #2) Take the MARC train from Brunswick to the Rockville station, then get on Metro.

Option #3) Drive to Shady Grove metro (my least-favorite option because of the traffic on 270 and reported lack of parking at the station).

Of #1 & #2, is one better or easier? I have the schedules from the websites and in theory the timing looks like it will work for either one. Any comments or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 09:27 AM

67 posts, read 236,499 times
Not sure about #1, and for #2, I _think_ the MARC only returns later in the afternoon. If your meeting is that long, it may not be a problem. Or spend some time wandering around DC till the train does return. Remember that the MARC goes to Union Station and you'd still have to Metro to your destination ...

#3 - If you take (is it 355?) the highway that parallels 270, you can avoid lots of the traffic. More stops, but a nicer drive and the times Ive' doen it, the time works out about the same. Parking at SG can be tight, especially if you want to use the garage, but the outdoor parking almost always has spaces if you don't mind walking a bit.

I'd LOVE Metro to run a line out closer to Frederick myself ...

Old 06-10-2010, 08:18 AM

160 posts, read 802,492 times
Option 3 is by far the best option. There's plenty of parking if you get to shady grove early enough. Park in the open lot next to redland rd, I've never not been able to find a spot even during peak rush. The train ride is painless provided its running on time. You'll need to buy a Smartrip card and put enough money on it for your round trip fare and parking fee. If you're a first time rider, do a few dry runs on the weekend. Leave early the day of the meeting, better to have to sit in starbucks and have a coffee if your early for the meeting. It's really not THAT bad, especially if its a one time deal. Depending on where you live there's also alternative routes you can take through Damascus, 108 thru Laytonsville to Muncaster Mill to Redland that will put your right in to the metro station in the right parking lot without ever seeing 270.

Last edited by Debi18; 06-10-2010 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: more info

Old 06-11-2010, 07:48 AM

148 posts, read 370,378 times
Thanks for the replies. I guess driving to Shady Grove is the way to go. And I do wish they'd extend the Metro to at least Germantown or Clarksburg, but that probably won't happen for decades!

Old 06-16-2010, 05:44 AM

15,438 posts, read 25,860,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlackDogs View Post
Thanks for the replies. I guess driving to Shady Grove is the way to go. And I do wish they'd extend the Metro to at least Germantown or Clarksburg, but that probably won't happen for decades!
They're talking about light rail fro, Shady Grove to Clarksburg. I don't think we'll ever see Metro extended further.

If you drive; take 270 to 370 east and exit at 355 south. Turn left at the light and then right on 355. Turn left at the street next to Car Max. It will take you straight to one of the parking lots for Metro.

Now that I think about it, it might be wiser to do this: 270 to 370 eastbound. Stay on 370 all the way to the Metro parking garages. (right 2 lanes (dont go into the Kiss and Ride area)) If the garages are not full, then park. If they are you will see signs saying so. If they're full, keep following the road around past the other garages (checking if they are full)and go right at the fork to turn right on Redland. Take Redland to the parking lots on the other side of the station. I suggest this because if you go to the outside lot first, and it's full, then it is a pain to get around to the other side. If you go the way I just suggested then it will be easy to check all of the lots.

Last edited by dkf747; 06-16-2010 at 05:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick