Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2010, 01:42 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

Just checking out the feasibility factor. I really like the rowhome look, and Frederick has them in abundance. I have never lived in one though, so I imagine there are obvious downsides....but the upsides - the density and walkable to many things seem worth it. Curious for any comments on this though.

My impression of Frederick is that the downtown/rowhomes are undesireable, and most people prefer the new sprawl and suburban-living if they move into the Frederick area. So curious what the leaves for downtown - affordability, desireability, etc.

Part II...commuting to DC? Do many people commute from Frederick to DC? I imagine some, for sure. Mostly the MARC or drive, or half and half? How much does the MARC cost per week/month/trip to do so? How long does it take?

Plus, anything else I'm missing...feel free to add, suggest, comment on, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 08:25 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Too many people do that commute. It can take 2 hours or more to drive. The last few days the MARC trains have been canceled or delayed really badly. I just think it's not worth it. YMMV.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:05 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Friends of hours live in a historic rowhome in downtown Frederick and it is fabulous.

If you can deal with MARC, I say go for it.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Friends of hours live in a historic rowhome in downtown Frederick and it is fabulous.

If you can deal with MARC, I say go for it.
Yeah! I love the historic rowhomes!

2 hours on the MARC.

It really comes down to if living in downtown Frederick is worth it or not. If people are enjoying it, it might be worth it!

Kind of seems a lot like Old Town Alexandria to me - in appearance.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:46 PM

845 posts, read 2,831,328 times
I worked in downtown DC for 33 years, and was usually aware of where most of my co-workers lived. And in all those 33 years, I only met 2 people who commuted from Frederick MD (and they endured it for only a couple of years until they transfered out-of-town).

If you plan to commute on MARC, it will help if your job is near Union Station (like if you work for the Senate) - that way you can hop on a MARC train without requiring an additional jam-packed metrorail ride to get to and from the station. See http://www.mta.maryland.gov/services/MARC (broken link)

Or if you drive to Shady Grove metrorail station (which at rush-hour is a long painful ordeal in itself), you had better leave Frederick EXTREMELY early in the morning to even find an empty parking spot at Shady Grove at all. And if you do this, it will help if your job downtown is on the Red line metro line. See http://www.wmata.com . Also remember that Frederick gets more snow and freezing temperatures than D.C. When you have to allow extra time to scrape ice off your windshield at 5:00 every morning, just remember that I warned you..

And don't even THINK about driving all the way in - unless you like sitting behind the wheel creeping for 5 to 6 hours every day.

Last edited by slowlane; 10-30-2010 at 08:55 PM..

Old 10-30-2010, 09:50 PM

Thinking about it more...its also giving up 4 hours of your day to commuting as well.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:11 AM

PART II

The Frederick housing is MUCH lower priced than DC area. However, how about the downtown? High priced? Or since they are 'old', everyone is paying the money in the Frederick suburbs?

How much are 'rowhomes' in downtown Frederick? Generally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
View detailed profiles of: