Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 11:13 AM

10 posts, read 22,307 times

Advertisements

Hello to all,

It's been awhile for me and probably about time.

I'm new to the area (WV panhandle, Frederick MD) and would like to know where people go to get a good eye exam. Are free one's any worse than paying for one? Any thoughts on going to an actual school in the area (assuming there is one) and offer to let a student gain some experience?
Do places like Target offer exams? Sorry for the ignorance.

I've had 20/15 most of my life but recently I've noticed that something is going haywire (I'm currently 36). Everything is hazy at night, and occasionally things get temporarily "blurry" during the day as well. Nothing seems to help for the night issue, but the daytime blurries usually go away after rubbing my eyes for a good 10 seconds or so.

Your thoughts would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best,
George
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 03:26 PM

7,018 posts, read 11,310,963 times
I never went to an eye doctor in Frederick. The only place I know of is "For Eyes" on Rt. 40. I remember them distinctly because the small wooded area behind their store was the wintering ground for about 100 crows. The store at some point even mentioned on their placard "Yes, even the crows like us."

Old 08-04-2011, 01:24 PM

148 posts, read 369,860 times
I've been going to Walkersville Eye Care for several years and I've always have had an excellent experience with them. It's a little outside of Frederick (off Rt. 26), but not that far. Several of my coworkers go there, as well.

Walkersville Eyecare - Optometrist, Eye Doctor, Vision Care near Frederick, MD

I carry vision insurance, but I know my regular health insurance (Carefirst) offers a discount on vision exams, as well. Maybe check if your health insurance offers a similar service.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:43 PM

3 posts, read 9,583 times
With something as important as your eyes...never go somewhere that sells eyeglasses...go to an Ophthalmologist!! The fee is the same (about $36.00 - $45.00) and if the eye exam shows anything "questionable" you won't need a referral to go to an Ophthalmologist and pay another fee. You will get a prescription for your glasses that you can take anywhere. My wife goes to Walkersville Eye Care and yes they are good but you have less than perfect eyes now...(like me) with something going haywire???? Remember...all the places that sell eye glasses are Optometrists... NOT EYE DOCTORS (Ophthalmologists)! I will recommend my doc (Gettysburg) Dr. Dwayne Whitlock... He is GREAT!

Old 10-24-2011, 03:01 PM

244 posts, read 573,091 times
I would recommend Dr. Evich and Nathan on Thomas Johnson Drive in Frederick. They are very thorough and have the latest technology and an eye glass center on site. They can rec an ophthalmologist if needed. I've also gone to For Eyes on Rt. 40 and found them to be fine (they have an eyeglass center on site, too), however, Dr. Gilligan there didn't seem to be as intensive in the exam as Dr. Evich and partners. I don't have any issues so I bounced b/t the two when my insurance changed. Now, I am back at Dr. Evich.

Best of luck!

Old 10-24-2011, 03:03 PM

244 posts, read 573,091 times
OR...you can go to your family doctor and get an eye exam there and they could give you their two cents on who you should see...and optometrist or opthalmologist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick