Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 05:44 AM

708 posts, read 1,295,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Just curious, what is it about Boulder Colorado that makes you feel unsafer there than Frederick Maryland?
I was referring to the downtown area, here and in Boulder. I would never walk around Pearl Street at 1am, nor would I here. Yeah, there is crime here, and in Boulder as well. Just reading about the latest attacks in Boulder.

Why do I feel safer here? I just do. Primarily because of the niceness of the people that I come across,
and the reverse is true in Boulder.

When there is so much friendliness here, I just feel more comfortable which I guess is translated to a feeling of security and comfort. Granted I live in a very nice, safe area, so there are others in Frederick that may not have the same experience as me. And I spend most of my time in our neighborhood so I don't know other areas at all, with regard to safety.

Also, in Frederick you are surrounded by beauty, as opposed to Boulder where you can see the mountains, but you aren't in them. Here I am in the nature. The natural beauty of this area also provides to me a very profound sense of peace, which translates to me as a sense of well being.

In Boulder, my neighborhood was so unfriendly, I just never felt comfortable. We never spoke to our neighboors in six years, nor were there any other people in our neighborhood that spoke to one another. A verly lonley place. People in Boulder, at least the ones I knew really didn't have the abilty to just be genuine. The Boulder I knew was the flakiest place I ever lived.

Since being here I would prefer to be around a meat eating redneck that was nice to the super skinny, lance armstrong attire wearing, vegan, liberal that wasn't nice.

It's all about the niceness for me.

Last edited by seethelight; 08-18-2012 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: more to say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 02:34 PM

147 posts, read 292,807 times
Your friend and her son will be safe in that area. There aren't too many parts of Frederick that they wouldn't be safe in. I've lived here my whole life and I can honestly say there are only a few places that make me uncomfortable, and that's only if I'm alone. Even so, violent crime is very rare in this area, no matter what some people say about Frederick becoming "more dangerous".

Old 08-20-2012, 08:04 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,834 times
It's very safe.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:18 AM

5 posts, read 15,956 times
I work in Frederick and live an hour away. We will be moving to Frederick eventually. It is a nice, safe place to live. See you there!

Old 10-17-2012, 02:53 PM

147 posts, read 218,814 times
How helpful was THIS post for me?! Thanks, you guys! I am currently living in Germantown (gag). I recently accepted a new job that will allow me to work a few days at home, but drive to Reston the other couple. That said, I am currently trying to decide to move north or to VA. I am from Denver and miss the niceness of that area very very much. So hearing his take on Boulder was a trip for me, but he's right. They don't call it the People's Republic of Boulder for nothing. And if you are not a hippy who bikes everywhere and eats only vegan, they will be cold to you. And it's best if you party like a rockstar from the 60s. Regardless, this is not about Boulder.

I like Frederick, as it's affordable, cute and the downtown is darling. From what I hear, the people are super nice, as well. And like the previous poster, I need that or I will be very unhappy, as well. I hope that your friend likes her new home and that it's easier for her to adjust to living here than it was for me. I am on year 2 and 2 months and I am still struggling to get acclimated. Good luck.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:33 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstoey View Post
I work in Frederick and live an hour away. We will be moving to Frederick eventually. It is a nice, safe place to live. See you there!
I work in Gaithersburg and live in Frederick because I wanted to live there as it is much nicer.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,016 times
Default commute time from frederick to gaithersburg?

Hello, I am considering a job in Gaithersburg but would like to live further out from the DC metro. Can you share with me about how long your commute is from Frederick to Gaithersburg with traffic? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
I work in Gaithersburg and live in Frederick because I wanted to live there as it is much nicer.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:07 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,087,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecuban View Post
Hello, I am considering a job in Gaithersburg but would like to live further out from the DC metro. Can you share with me about how long your commute is from Frederick to Gaithersburg with traffic? Thanks!
It depends on when you leave Frederick and exactly where in Gaithersburg you are going. I commute from Fredrick/Middletown to Shady Grove (Right at 270 Shady Grove Rd) and have for the past 10 years. In the past I went in early (crossing the Monocacy River at about 4:45 I can run a steady 65-70 the whole way down. (I actually try to hold it to 63-65 but they blow your doors off at that speed the average is 70-75 or higher. 270 is not for the feint of heart) and be there in 25 minutes. Lately I am going in later and crossing the Monocacy at 6:15 and we start crawling before Urbana and I pull into work at 7:15. I know that 10 minutes either way can make a 15-20 minute difference and I need to find the 'sweet spot' for the later time and I hope I can cut it to 35-45 minutes (and be smoother)

Afternoons are more consistent When I go in early I try to get on the road about 3:10-3:15 so I can beat the HOV restriction but so are a LOT of other folks. It gets a little slower at 4:30 - 5:30 but goes back about the same after that until HOV ends at 6:30. HOV matters more on the homebound trip because in that direction it goes all the way out to Clarksburg where it narrows to 2 lanes.

And all bets are off on Fridays in Ski season and any day before a Holiday (especially Thanksgiving rush hour for that begins on Tuesday)

Old 11-08-2012, 07:45 AM

16,274 posts, read 10,401,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
I was referring to the downtown area, here and in Boulder. I would never walk around Pearl Street at 1am, nor would I here. Yeah, there is crime here, and in Boulder as well. Just reading about the latest attacks in Boulder.

Why do I feel safer here? I just do. Primarily because of the niceness of the people that I come across,
and the reverse is true in Boulder.

When there is so much friendliness here, I just feel more comfortable which I guess is translated to a feeling of security and comfort. Granted I live in a very nice, safe area, so there are others in Frederick that may not have the same experience as me. And I spend most of my time in our neighborhood so I don't know other areas at all, with regard to safety.

Also, in Frederick you are surrounded by beauty, as opposed to Boulder where you can see the mountains, but you aren't in them. Here I am in the nature. The natural beauty of this area also provides to me a very profound sense of peace, which translates to me as a sense of well being.

In Boulder, my neighborhood was so unfriendly, I just never felt comfortable. We never spoke to our neighboors in six years, nor were there any other people in our neighborhood that spoke to one another. A verly lonley place. People in Boulder, at least the ones I knew really didn't have the abilty to just be genuine. The Boulder I knew was the flakiest place I ever lived.

Since being here I would prefer to be around a meat eating redneck that was nice to the super skinny, lance armstrong attire wearing, vegan, liberal that wasn't nice.

It's all about the niceness for me.
Having spent time in Boulder, and now living 15 miles from Frederick, I find this post very surprising. While I agree that 1:00 AM is not a safe time anywhere, and I'm aware of ONE person committing robberies near Boulder Creek last summer, I would never ever never say that Boulder is less safe than Frederick. I consider both towns to be very safe but if I had to chose one I'm leaning Boulder every time.

The people of Frederick, as is the case in virtually all the small towns in Maryland, are very friendly. But they are this way in Boulder as well. Once you get past their east coast bias that is.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:59 AM

63 posts, read 98,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
I moved to Frederick two years ago from Boulder, CO and couldn't be happier. I grew up in D.C. and remember when Frederick used to be the country. Now it has a vibrant downtown, which is way cooler than Boulder, and best of all the people are much nicer. In fact, in all the places that I have lived, the people in Frederick, at least in my part of town, which is Baker Park and the entire downtown area, which is primarily where I go, are the nicest people that I have encountered. To me, nice, friendly people are what makes a place livable.

And even better is the opportunity to go to Wegmans, which IMHO is the best grocery store in this area hands down.

I do agree that there are parts of downtown that I wouldn't hang out at 1am, but I don't do that. I feel very safe here, safer than downtown Boulder.
frederick does have a pretty nice downtown but i never thought anybody would say it is nicer than boulder, given how people seem to love boulder.

frederick still looks like the country and it doesn't have as many restaurants/ stores as you would think think "the 2nd largest city in maryland" would have.

if frederick was more affordable and it didn't snow so much there, it would be ok. defintely a good place to live if you like to hike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick