Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2016, 07:47 AM

5 posts, read 6,467 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

We're exploring a move to Frederick. We've been renting in College Park, MD for the last year; previously rented in DC. While we enjoy the diversity and accessibility of CP, we're not thrilled with the local schools, housing prices continue upwards and the commute into DC is getting to us. We are looking for a more comfortable pace of life, more affordable area with liberal leanings, walkability, friendly, arts-scene and a good sense of community. Frederick seems to offer many of these qualities, though I have heard that there's not really a sense of community due, in large part, to the population being commuter-heavy. We both work out of the home, full-time, in DC currently, so a move would obviously necessitate some adjustment on that end. We're considering husband continuing to work in/commute into DC (until lands IT job closer to Frederick) while I stay at home for 6-12 months and get some more time with 21 month old and 5 year old. (Who would be starting K this fall.)(I know staying at home is just as challenging as working outside of home. It's the additional time while they're young that I've been craving.)

Questions:
What can you tell me about North Frederick Elementary School? Drawn to this school for the boundary's proximity to downtown and for its student body diversity. It seems like a good school but I have absolutely no clue. Any feedback, tips would be appreciated.

How is Frederick to newcomers? (We have no family anywhere nearby and I'm a wee bit concerned about moving some place where a majority of the folks have made their friends/not entirely open to newcomers.)

Any local, community listservs that would give one a sense of the area's interests/concerns?

Any decent local blogs that would similarly give a sense of the City's flair?

I do legislative and advocacy work, currently. I don't really see m/any such jobs in Frederick so am concerned that when the time comes to return to work, I may have to return to commuting into DC, which would really sadden me in that I'd hardly see my kids. Anyone with experience in this arena have any tips? I know I can make something happen, just tre nervous.

Are there any moms groups in the area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 10:59 AM

39 posts, read 58,703 times
Byrne,

All of the Frederick schools are very good, in my humble opinion.

Newcomers are mostly welcome. There are a lot of events downtown that you can attend to meet people and people are much friendlier than they were in Montgomery County, as a consensus opinion.

Not sure what the listserv is.

Blogs, not that I am aware of. But if you come across one, I would love to know. I am a local Realtor, and I am actually looking to hire a writer for my blog. So let me know if you run across one.

There is a MARC station in downtown Frederick, so that can help to ease the commute.

If you want assistance in finding your place in the area, please don't hesitate to reach out. I am able to help you purchase or Rent in or around Frederick.

301-814-8823

Old 06-24-2016, 08:58 AM

148 posts, read 370,008 times
I agree that the school should be fine. I don't have kids, but I do know there are several mom's groups in the area. There are quite a few active groups and pages on Facebook about activities in Frederick, so that may be something to check out. Celebrate Frederick, the downtown Frederick partnership, Frederick Magazine, etc. all have pages that discuss activities and have discussions about local events. You mentioned liberal leanings, so if you're interested in volunteering with political campaigns, that's another area to meet people with similar interests and could possibly even lead to some sort of advocacy job. I volunteered a bit with the county executive campaign last election and I met some great people. I've lived in Frederick County since the mid-90's but my husband and I are both from other counties and even back then, I felt people were welcoming. I believe you won't have an issue with that, especially in Frederick itself. There are more county natives in some of the smaller rural towns.

Good luck!

Old 06-27-2016, 11:30 AM

382 posts, read 1,206,496 times
Since you're not thrilled with with your local schools now, I'd take the time to choose your new school carefully. Can you go up to Frederick and visit schools you are considering? North Frederick Elementary has fairly high Title 1 & F.A.R.M percentages as well a pretty high percentage (30%) of students with limited English proficiency. But most of the schools in the city do.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:49 AM

44 posts, read 71,843 times
Hi Bryne6,
Yes, there are Mom groups.
The local schools have been reported to be good, they are not all equal. I have subbed in several (including N. Frederick) and I am familiar with the North Frederick Elementary school and area.

Hopefully, in a few years, your future employer will be open to telecommuting several days a week.

As a once-newcomer to Frederick, I can speak to how it was when I arrived, but do think it is probably a little bit better now. You will still have some culture shock when you get here. No big deal - just know it might be coming!

Please feel free to send a private message if you would like more info or detail about specifics I didn't mention.

Last edited by FabulousMaryland; 07-01-2016 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: missed a few words

Old 11-22-2016, 12:35 PM

19 posts, read 23,500 times
My child goes to North Frederick Elementary. Yes it has high FARMS rate and is Title 1. We are very happy with the school so far. It truly is diverse - kids in the district live in houses, duplexes, rowhomes and apartments. The area is gentrifying, lots of new families moving in. The PTA is active and my child's teachers so far have been fantastic. I have no complaints.

Old 11-24-2016, 04:13 PM

7 posts, read 7,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrne6 View Post
Hi there,

We're exploring a move to Frederick. We've been renting in College Park, MD for the last year; previously rented in DC. While we enjoy the diversity and accessibility of CP, we're not thrilled with the local schools, housing prices continue upwards and the commute into DC is getting to us. We are looking for a more comfortable pace of life, more affordable area with liberal leanings, walkability, friendly, arts-scene and a good sense of community. Frederick seems to offer many of these qualities, though I have heard that there's not really a sense of community due, in large part, to the population being commuter-heavy. We both work out of the home, full-time, in DC currently, so a move would obviously necessitate some adjustment on that end. We're considering husband continuing to work in/commute into DC (until lands IT job closer to Frederick) while I stay at home for 6-12 months and get some more time with 21 month old and 5 year old. (Who would be starting K this fall.)(I know staying at home is just as challenging as working outside of home. It's the additional time while they're young that I've been!
Hello,

Frederick is a great place to live. It has grown so much in the recent years. I'm also a licensed Realestate agent so feel free to message me if I can be of any assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick