Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 07:13 AM

5 posts, read 7,627 times

Advertisements

I have a 4 yr old on the Aspbergers end of the autism spectrum. I currently rent in Frederick in Middletown, but am very willing to move to a better feeder pattern.

In Frederick, which elementary schools do the best job of incorporating social/emotional skill development and not just academics? Are some schools better at working with non special ed students to promote their engagement of those in special ed? Are some better at arts integration? What about supporting kids that are mainstreamed with an IEP - for us that means a good student:teacher ratio, good OT and movement breaks, access to typical peer models for speech services, and teachers that are willing to be innovative.

My short list of schools right now includes Oakdale, Middletown Primary, Carrol Creek (though I've heard the midde and high schools It feeds into aren't great), Spring Ridge, and Ballenger
Creek. I'd love to hear parents experiences with these schools, especially if you have any experience with the IEP process. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 07:58 PM

Would love to hear from other parents of special needs kids what your experience has been. Looking most closely at Middletown (but I hear elementary/middle aren't as good as primary and high), Myersville, Ballenger Creek Elementary, and Oakdale Elementary. Thank you!

Old 01-30-2017, 01:52 PM

7,001 posts, read 11,298,847 times
You may want to try posting this in the main MD forum. The Frederick sub-forum doesn't get much action.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:03 PM

122 posts, read 169,467 times
You might want to look for an Asperger support group in Frederick county, and ask their opinions. In general I can say that the Oakdale schools - elem, middle, and high- are excellent schools. As you noted it is important to know where elem school feeds to - I know Spring Ridge elem used to feed to downtown Frederick schools. I do not know if that is still the case.

Good luck in your search as you provide the best setting you can for your child.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:06 AM

11 posts, read 13,100 times
If you have not already spoken to Frederick County Schools, talk to someone from Special Education.

Frederick County Public Schools
Special Education Department

www.fcps.org

Old 02-05-2017, 12:56 PM

Thank you all! OP here. I will repost to the MD forum, thanks for that tip. I have spoken with a few folks who work in special ed in the county, and with child find. I keep hearing that it is a "site based" system meaning that each school is managed differently by its principal, and basically no one is giving me straight answers about which schools have social groups, or programs like buddy programs to unify special ed and non special ed students, or which ones use a co-teaching model. Very frustrating. Next I will just visit these specific schools.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:44 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,087,504 times
Remember any school based policies/programs are subject to change if the Principal is moved. And in the last few years Principals have been shuffled on a regular basis.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:03 PM

299 posts, read 556,746 times
Default re: special programs

Well, for what it's worth? FCPS does have the "Pyramid Program", which is designed to provide kids with some assistance if they have extra needs coping with the traditional school system.

I believe Ballenger Creek Middle and Tuscarora High are schools participating in Pyramid.

Now, the downside of the Pyramid program? A lot of kids wind up in it due to behavior issues, as opposed to actual learning disabilities. So a kid who is smart but has social issues tends to be trapped in the middle with it. (EG. They benefit from the advantages it gives of giving them windows of time each week to talk with a school counselor and so on. But the Pyramid classes tend to be full of kids who act up and disrupt the classes.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazu View Post
Thank you all! OP here. I will repost to the MD forum, thanks for that tip. I have spoken with a few folks who work in special ed in the county, and with child find. I keep hearing that it is a "site based" system meaning that each school is managed differently by its principal, and basically no one is giving me straight answers about which schools have social groups, or programs like buddy programs to unify special ed and non special ed students, or which ones use a co-teaching model. Very frustrating. Next I will just visit these specific schools.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:55 AM

39 posts, read 88,981 times
Walkersville also participates in the pyramid program. From what I hear from friends at Oakdale, their special needs children do not necessarily receive the support you'd expect. I've heard of many transferring out to private or other publics (namely Walkersville). Oakdale and Middletown have some different demographics, but not different enough to make them distinct from each other. Very academic and athletic oriented schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick