Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 05:14 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times

Advertisements

A bit scattered, I know. But I'm looking at apartments in these areas for a friend. But have little knowledge of Frederick. Thought I look to the folks here.

The apartment complexes are:

Prospect Hall near overlook park (sort of between I-15/270 and I-70).

East of Market Apartments, which is on N. East street just south of where it meets N. Market St.

The third is actually in New Market - Bainbridge Lake Linganore.

I'm hoping to get some feedback on the areas more so than the apartment complex. Schools are not important. But I'm assuming the quality may have an impact on the overall desirability of the location. This will be for a professional with a car. The priority would be the safety/crime of the immediate area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 04:46 AM

16,273 posts, read 10,395,161 times
I'm pretty sure the 2nd and 3rd choices will be safe, New Market for sure and Linganore is a great neighborhood. I'll let the locals chime in on Prospect Hall.

Old 06-26-2020, 02:57 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'm pretty sure the 2nd and 3rd choices will be safe, New Market for sure and Linganore is a great neighborhood. I'll let the locals chime in on Prospect Hall.

My son lives in the Condos just below The Prospect Hall Apartments (Buckingham Condos). Area is stable, no problems with cars (He parks his 2017 Jetta and his 2006 Corvette) in his parking lot with no problems except one neighbor with a 3/4 ton pickup who sometimes parks a little too close in the spaces (Some people shouldn't have full size vehicles). In the open area behind his condo around the woods of the park they have a lot wildlife including some wild turkeys and deer. There were reports of a black bear there last year.

Prospect Hall are fairly recent construction and appear moderately upscale. Access to the Highways in all directions is very good but right now there is a widening project on the MD18/351 bridge over US 15/340. The decision between the two Frederick locations may depend on where they work. If they are going 'Down the Road' on 270 to Montgomery County or US-15 to NoVa Prospect Hall probably has a 10 minute advantage, especially in the afternoon. If anywhere in Frederick area probably a toss up.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:11 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Appreciate the input from all. They will be working mostly from home with occasional travel to client sites around the DC area. So the commute isn't as big of a deal as it normally would in the DC area.

In a general sense, are there any places that should be avoided (e.g. eastern part of Frederick. And I'm just throwing that out there as an example, not saying the eastern part is bad).

Old 07-16-2020, 03:58 PM

63 posts, read 67,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Appreciate the input from all. They will be working mostly from home with occasional travel to client sites around the DC area. So the commute isn't as big of a deal as it normally would in the DC area.

In a general sense, are there any places that should be avoided (e.g. eastern part of Frederick. And I'm just throwing that out there as an example, not saying the eastern part is bad).
Some of the apt projects around the Golden Mile (Rt. 40) area and certain parts close to downtown (like W All Saints I’ve heard) tend to have more crime relative to the rest of the city. But Frederick as a whole is quite safe and these areas, while poorer, can’t compare to even your average part of say, Baltimore.

Old 07-17-2020, 12:00 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
My son lives in the Condos just below The Prospect Hall Apartments (Buckingham Condos). Area is stable, no problems with cars (He parks his 2017 Jetta and his 2006 Corvette) in his parking lot with no problems except one neighbor with a 3/4 ton pickup who sometimes parks a little too close in the spaces (Some people shouldn't have full size vehicles). In the open area behind his condo around the woods of the park they have a lot wildlife including some wild turkeys and deer. There were reports of a black bear there last year.

Prospect Hall are fairly recent construction and appear moderately upscale. Access to the Highways in all directions is very good but right now there is a widening project on the MD18/351 bridge over US 15/340. The decision between the two Frederick locations may depend on where they work. If they are going 'Down the Road' on 270 to Montgomery County or US-15 to NoVa Prospect Hall probably has a 10 minute advantage, especially in the afternoon. If anywhere in Frederick area probably a toss up.
Ha! That is where I used to live. Off Himes Ave. right?

Well, I can vouch for it being a very ordinary suburban development when I lived there...roughly 13 years ago now. It was "new build" back then and my wife and I had a good relationship with our neighbors. It was a solid place to live, we had no issues with crime safe one weekend when some kids shot at some windows with BB guns. Glad to hear it hasn't changed much.

Old 07-18-2020, 05:49 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Ha! That is where I used to live. Off Himes Ave. right?

Well, I can vouch for it being a very ordinary suburban development when I lived there...roughly 13 years ago now. It was "new build" back then and my wife and I had a good relationship with our neighbors. It was a solid place to live, we had no issues with crime safe one weekend when some kids shot at some windows with BB guns. Glad to hear it hasn't changed much.

Yes streets are named after WWII leaders (Patton, Bradley, Leahy) The Apartments the OP is asking about are on the old Prospect Hall school grounds

Old 08-04-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Sipwiaac View Post
Some of the apt projects around the Golden Mile (Rt. 40) area and certain parts close to downtown (like W All Saints I’ve heard) tend to have more crime relative to the rest of the city. But Frederick as a whole is quite safe and these areas, while poorer, can’t compare to even your average part of say, Baltimore.
That's what I have found as well. The areas around route 40, as well as some along Key Parkway, are not the best but I would not consider them dangerous. Other areas I have seen (I'm driving for Door Dash in retirement so seeing the city a lot more now) look perfectly fine.

Old 08-04-2020, 09:20 PM

299 posts, read 556,596 times
Hey Dave! I've been driving for Door Dash myself for some extra money, mostly on the weekends.

It really has given me a much better idea of the demographics of various areas around Frederick and New Market.

To be honest, I'd tell anyone I knew to avoid any of the apartment complexes along Key Parkway. I don't know about "dangerous" -- but I've just seen how run down a lot of those really look once you go past the outside doors. You can typically expect gross smells and dingy hallway carpeting, stairs that have concrete chunks chipping off of some of the steps, etc. I forget the name of it, but one complex over there in particular is really annoying just to get around in. They have all these buildings labeled simply A, B, C, D and so on, up through at least P or Q, with parking lots around the outer circumference of them. You're usually forced to take a long walk through a center courtyard type area just to get to one of them or back to your vehicle - and it's easy to get turned around and wind up in the wrong part of the lot too. Just a layout I really disliked.

Old 08-11-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw71 View Post
Hey Dave! I've been driving for Door Dash myself for some extra money, mostly on the weekends.

It really has given me a much better idea of the demographics of various areas around Frederick and New Market.

To be honest, I'd tell anyone I knew to avoid any of the apartment complexes along Key Parkway. I don't know about "dangerous" -- but I've just seen how run down a lot of those really look once you go past the outside doors. You can typically expect gross smells and dingy hallway carpeting, stairs that have concrete chunks chipping off of some of the steps, etc. I forget the name of it, but one complex over there in particular is really annoying just to get around in. They have all these buildings labeled simply A, B, C, D and so on, up through at least P or Q, with parking lots around the outer circumference of them. You're usually forced to take a long walk through a center courtyard type area just to get to one of them or back to your vehicle - and it's easy to get turned around and wind up in the wrong part of the lot too. Just a layout I really disliked.
Yeah those were the apartments I was talking about. At least on Grub Hub the address reads 1600 Waverly Drive because that apparently is where the office is. Yeah like I'm supposed to know a building that says simply N and is on Key Parkway is the actual address that reads 1600 Waverly Drive.

But back to the OP those are the only ones I would not recommend, there are others in the area that look fine. Honestly I'd take an afternoon and drive around the area, you can pretty much see from your car if it's a good option or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
View detailed profiles of: