Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 8,632 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Frederick, MD area. I'm single with no children and pretty quiet. I'm ok with living in a rural area and don't have a school district preference. My main concerns are finding somewhere to rent, for now, in an area that is relatively safe and relatively affordable, within an hour or so of Frederick.

I am thinking of southern PA, from Waynesboro all the way over to York. WV seems a little far away. And northern VA seems too expensive. Of course a MD town near Frederick would be best, but again, it seems expensive. I prefer to use public transportation where possible.

I am coming from a large, friendly Southern city with a warm, humid climate and a long commute. So the traffic doesn't worry me as much as learning about boilers and oil heaters and everything else about living in a cold climate. I understand if people are more reserved than where I live now, as long as they aren't hostile or something.

What else should I know before I arrive in my u-haul? Any help is much appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 02:47 PM

516 posts, read 1,376,045 times
What will you be able to afford as far as rent?

Old 12-01-2009, 03:24 PM

13 posts, read 46,595 times
Charles Town, WV is about a 40 minute drive to Frederick (route 340 is a straight shot to it), and rent will be considerably cheaper there due to it being more rural. I don't know much about southern PA but Hagerstown, MD is also within 30 mins, with slightly cheaper prices than Frederick but not too much so.

This all depends of course on what your budget is, as well.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:18 PM

380 posts, read 1,159,998 times
Harpers Ferry, Charles Town, Ranson & Shepherdstown are the closest WV locations just across the river in Jefferson County. Typically cost of living here is cheaper than MD, PA & VA within equal commute times to Fredneck. But if you really like MD check out Point of Rocks, Brunswick, Boonsboro, Smithsburg & Hagerstown for a more reasonable cost of living than areas closer to Frederick. The areas in Virginia which are equally proximate to Frederick are all within Loudoun County which is more expensive than most of the above mentioned locations, although you may happen upon an affordable rental in an old bungalow or farmhouse in the Neersville, Lovettsville, Taylorstown or Lucketts areas.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:54 AM

845 posts, read 2,831,328 times
I don't understand -- will your new job be in Frederick County ? Where exactly in Frederick County ? And you say you prefer to use public transportation ? If so, you it doesn't seem possible from any of the places named. The MARC rail line goes from Martinsburg and other points mentioned to D.C. -- and it goes from Frederick to D.C. -- but not from Martinsburg to Frederick to my knowledge.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:13 PM
EDE

1 posts, read 8,343 times
Frederick is a fun town with many restaurants and shops, a great library, a beautiful downtown and park, and many conveniences. I have lived here for four years and I love it here. I find it to be friendly and welcoming. You can rent a 2 bedroom apartment for $900-1200 a month. There are public buses for around town and the MARC train leaves Frederick and travels to DC.
Frederick is also very safe, although stay away from the apartments off of route 40 near the mall...a little sketchy. When I moved here I was single and I am also quiet, like you stated that you are. This town is a very good fit for me.
Hagerstown is more affordable and about 40 minutes from Frederick. You could find cheaper rent there, but I don't enjoy the town as much. It is a little rougher around the edges.
Thurmont is a rural town to the north of Frederick. Friendly and small, and more affordable as well. But not much for a single person to do in that town. If you like a slower pace and lots of country, then Thurmont would be for you.
Good luck in your search!

Old 12-14-2009, 08:43 PM

516 posts, read 1,376,045 times
Hagerstown is not 40 minutes from Frederick.. it's probably around 20-30 minutes away.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:29 AM

5 posts, read 20,090 times
If you like public transportation, don't move to WV. Charles Town etc. are cheaper, but you'll sit in a LOT of traffic on your trip home in the evening. I see it every day. There is an unavoidable two-lane section of RT340 between Frederick and Charles Town/Ranson area and it backs up almost every day. PA towns like York are a long drive 1.5 hours to York. My relatives live in York and even they say its not a friendly town.

I'd look at Brunswick MD. Its on the MARC line and only 20 minutes from Frederick by car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick