Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 04:19 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times

Advertisements

We've had several threads on this fourm about "false frugality" (i.e. when one does somthing in the name of fugality, only to find out it ends up costing more in the long run).

Are there any examples of things you have done, changes you have made, etc for reasons other than the bottom line and been pleasantly surprised?

I have two recent experiences.

1. We had to buy a new washer. Old one 15+ years just finally bit the dust and was due for some $$$$$ repairs. Of course we went HE. I expected to see some savings in water and energy usage. What really surprised me though was how little detergent and Oxyclean and bleach I now use!!!! That plus the fact that I now do fewer loads and air-drying is a snap. When I do use the dryer, clothes dry in about half the time.

2. The French Press coffee maker. I've long been a French press kinda gal. Since I don't currently have a stove to boil water, I pulled out my old drip coffee maker, thinking "this will simplify things" . Holy-moly! I'm using about twice the amount of beans for about half the flavor!!! Plus, I had to buy coffee filters. Back to good old pressed coffee for me ASAP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 04:22 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Have you tried the Melitta and a hot pot? You can get a cone shaped brass filter at local WM, or pharmacy for about $5.00. I love mine and use it often and it is so easy to carry with when traveling. Coffee grounds, hot water from the hot water tap at most gasoline stations or truck stops, tada fresh coffee. Also, a lot of hot pots made now are cordless, wish mine was like that.

Last edited by CSD610; 08-19-2010 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: Added a bit more info.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:23 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Have you tried the Melitta and a hot pot? You can get a cone shaped brass filter at local WM, or pharmacy for about $5.00. I love mine and use it often and it is so easy to carry with when traveling. Coffee grounds, hot water from the hot water tap at most gasoline stations or truck stops, tada fresh coffee. Also, a lot of hot pots made now are cordless, wish mine was like that.
Thanks for the tip!

I have the coffee maker though, and a microwave. I may just try to heat the water and use the French press?

My "surprise" was really the fact that the press extracts sooooo much more flavor from a small amount of beans.

Still good to know about the Melitta for travel!

Old 08-19-2010, 11:13 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
There's always cowboy coffee. Bring your saucepan of 2-3 cups of water to a boil, put in enough regular grind coffee to make 6 cups, take it off the heat, cover it and let it sit for about 5-7 minutes, for the grounds to settle. Tap the side of the pan with a spoon or a cup to sink the floaters, and carefully pour the brew off the top into your cup. When you're down to the soggy grounds, put in two more cups of water, bring it back to near boil, and do it again. And then a third time.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:20 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
We've been redoing the house as we can afford it, in bits. When we had the electric upgraded from two fuses (I am NOT kidding!) to a full circuit breaker panel, we were forced to put in compact fluorescent lighting in certain spots. Our contractor told us to buy the coil lamps to give it a try in other fixtures.

In our small house, just by switching to mainly compact fluorescents, we saved 30 bucks a month in electric.

I was amazed.

Back then, in certain applications, CFLs weren't good. Like in bathrooms. The color was bad, and the constant on/off, on/off the bathroom light goes through wore them out in no time. But as time has passed the technology has improved, and those problems have gone away.

At the building I clean there was a recent power outage and Monday I had 36 CFL bulbs to change. A large number of them were a little over 2 years old, in fixtures that are on 24/7 in residential hallways. WAY past their expected fail date.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:20 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Way more costly that I thought - the garden. Started to keep records this year of costs and time spent, and OMG this is a major loser, even after having invested in and not counting the equipment to care for it.

MUCH less costly alternative - keeping track of produce specials and seasons, then bulk buying and preserving at home. Freeze blueberries and strawberries at a dollar a pack, cauliflower -even at $2/head means less than $.80 per 10 oz freezer package AND the choke used for a soup base.

Something that is even more frugal than expected - my old Brother 4800 MFC laser printer/copier. It takes a cheap toner cart and I found a place that sells those for less than half what Office Depot does. I bought a couple cases of paper years ago when it was on sale, printing costs me next to nothing.

Winkflash - when the 4" x 6" prints are on sale for 5 cents or less, there is no way that I can do color prints for the cost, even after shipping is tacked on.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:14 PM

889 posts, read 2,713,265 times
I was only trying to "save the earth" by not using dishwasher soap. But now, I haven't bought any in two years! I mix half borax and half washing soda in a tupperware and use 1/8 cup per load. Pleased with the results. Commenting on light bulbs... I haven't been happy with my CFLs. They were expensive and haven't lasted near as long as they say, even in an area that's not turned on and off a lot.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:01 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
I have quite a stock of incandescents. I do not like CFLs for multiple reasons, the first being terrible light. The second -- and more important to me -- is the mercury in many of them. The third? We didn't save any money with them.

OTOH, I saved a ton with a new Hi-Eff furnace and WH. I also had to replace a dryer and going to natural gas saved me a bundle. My elec company has lost business.... I can just see what happens when the refrigerator needs replacing ( that is soon). FWIW, The elec. co. told me refrigerators and dishwashers are the biggest savers after going to gas dryers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living