Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 04:57 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,456,227 times

Advertisements

Food inflation is predicted in the coming year. What would you recommend stocking up on? Obviously things that store, rice has already goen up, but still a good staple.

Canned goods? Freeze meat? The hight price of wheat is going to affect everything, from bread to grain fed cattle, eggs, dairy, etc. perhaps now's a good time to become a vegan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 05:40 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,235,343 times
The futures market on milk is about what the price is now.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
The futures market on milk is about what the price is now.
So perhaps we should stock up on calcium pills and forget the milk? I makes me fart, anyways!

Old 09-07-2010, 02:33 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,187,260 times
Invest a couple years' food budget in agro stocks or food futures, and the value of your money will go up along with the food prices. Or in Pizza Hut. When cheese goes up a dime, pizzas go up a dollar. When pizza prices go up, would you rather be buying them, or selling them?

Old 09-07-2010, 08:32 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,920,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Invest a couple years' food budget in agro stocks or food futures, and the value of your money will go up along with the food prices. Or in Pizza Hut. When cheese goes up a dime, pizzas go up a dollar. When pizza prices go up, would you rather be buying them, or selling them?
I don't know about that anymore. Here in SE MI, as there is a Little Caesar's seemingly everywhere you look ($5 large "Hot and Ready"), even in some of the best of areas, our pizzerias are locked in a price war. Large pizzas in the $5-$8 range with one topping aren't hard to find.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:05 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,187,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
I don't know about that anymore. Here in SE MI, as there is a Little Caesar's seemingly everywhere you look ($5 large "Hot and Ready"), even in some of the best of areas, our pizzerias are locked in a price war. Large pizzas in the $5-$8 range with one topping aren't hard to find.
\

Five years ago, when milk prices went up, those Little Caesar pizzas went up to 5.50. Have they gone back down? There are raging pizza wars going on everywhere this year.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:25 PM

62,023 posts, read 87,719,267 times
I would not freeze my money in the freezer or pantry shelves. Is much better to learn cook on budget. When one product goes up, I switch to another.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:24 AM

Let me tell you a story about "stocking up"

Way back in the 70's (yes, some of us were alive back then), we were in a period of inflation. My mother heard the price and availability of coffee, sugar, and toilet paper were set to soar (price up, availability down). So, she stocked up every chance got, sales, etc, and stored them in the basement.

We had a flood after a rain, all that stuff got soaked! Imagine toilet paper, coffee, and sugar merrily floating around in waist deep water. I heard my dad say words I didn't understand, oh, he learned that in North Africa during the war.

What a complete mess. It took them days to clean it out! My point---don't overstock any one item, the more you have the more you can lose.Just keep a normal supply on hand, unless you want to learn North African French cuss words!

Old 09-08-2010, 07:26 AM

Seriously, I would not go overboard in stocking up food. The storage of foodstuffs long-term is best left to the experts. Unless you really know what you're doing and have appropriate long-term storage facilities, you're courting disaster in case of a flood, power outage, or just plain spoilage.

Just stock what a normal pantry will hold.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:45 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,720,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Food inflation is predicted in the coming year. What would you recommend stocking up on? Obviously things that store, rice has already goen up, but still a good staple.

Canned goods? Freeze meat? The hight price of wheat is going to affect everything, from bread to grain fed cattle, eggs, dairy, etc. perhaps now's a good time to become a vegan!
Almost all consumer commodity items are now in the process of a hidden cost increase. I say hidden because it's not the price going up it the size getting smaller so each dollar buys less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living