Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 08:13 PM

362 posts, read 392,629 times

Advertisements

What is your strategy? What was your latest best conquest? I've gotten some great deals lately. Best one- Kohls had axis men's jeans on clearance at 80% off. I also got 15% off for using my kohls card ( I pay off the bal every month).

Average price was 11 dollars and change for each pair and no tax here in PA. I purchased 9 or 10. I'm good jeanswise for years. I went in a couple of weeks later and they had very similar axis jeans for 50 plus dollars. Maybe axis changed ths style. But I couldn't tell the diff. Sometimes the things retrailers do makes no sense to me. But I'm not complaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 09:17 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,300,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeepoRsheep View Post
What is your strategy? What was your latest best conquest? I've gotten some great deals lately. Best one- Kohls had axis men's jeans on clearance at 80% off. I also got 15% off for using my kohls card ( I pay off the bal every month).

Average price was 11 dollars and change for each pair and no tax here in PA. I purchased 9 or 10. I'm good jeanswise for years. I went in a couple of weeks later and they had very similar axis jeans for 50 plus dollars. Maybe axis changed ths style. But I couldn't tell the diff. Sometimes the things retrailers do makes no sense to me. But I'm not complaining.
Some ideas:

Timing is critical. Study when the department stores put items on sale. February is a GREAT time for winter coats. The same parka I paid $35 for in March is now "on sale" at $129. August is a great time for summer clothing.

Fatwallet.com posts some great deals on clothing at the large retailers. I am seeing some great deals on clothing.

The off-price stores - TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Ross, Filene's Basement - offer some great deals.

Thrift stores can be a great source for slightly used clothing. I have not paid over $5 for a pair in shoes in five years. And I have upgraded to brands like Rockport.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:11 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,402,645 times
If I am looking for something in particular like nice work clothes, (bear in mind we have VERY limited shopping here), I will go thru Macy's every few days and cruise the sale racks. Sometimes I go to Ross but I hate that store mostly, a lot of crap with a few decent things here and there. (except for decorative object those are great at Ross)

Old 10-07-2010, 12:51 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,444,559 times
the only problem for me is my work wear is a suit and tie and dress shoes with the tax refund i get each year i go out and by new suits to replace the ones that are wearing out and give the ones to goodwill stores that no longer meet my personal grooming guide for work ..

ties are reworked with a snap in the back so when you do grab the tie it break apart to keep you from chokeing me with it that was a hard lesson to learn ..

a little tayloring here and there on the suits to make them look good for iam a big and tall guy at 6.ft.3.inchs tall and 275.pds iam a big guy so it helps to have a nice suit to wear..

for shoes i would go with a Allen-Edmonds custom shoe maker in this area for you are paying a higher price for the dress shows but last a whole lot longer in the long run ..plus you can send the shoes back to the company and they will make them look brand new again and resoled them for you ..

plus if you want to make shoes last use high end shoe polish as part of the shoe care along with shoe trees and fannel shoe bags for keeping the shoes clean ..

plus have two to three sets of the dress shoe to allow the shoe to breathe after wearing them ..plus it helps keep the shoes looking new in the long run..

Old 10-07-2010, 04:15 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,485,072 times
We stop at the Haggar outlet for pants for both of us. We can only do it when we pass thru NY but we buy all our pants for the next year or two. They last really well and wash well. Husband gets the 3 season fabric and I get the cotton. Pants average $25 or a little more per pair and have the expandable waistband. Jeans are not for the fashion forward since they are cut really large! or maybe I have shrunk?

Note: One year they tried a Teflon coating to make their pants stain resistant. Ruined the cloth and they disintegrated really fast. They dont sell these any longer.

We have been lucky this year to get all our tops at garage sales and thrift stores. Most new with tag. I got an Eileen Fisher jacket, a red wool jacket, some Travelsmith tops, etc. Otherwise, I dont shop.

You might be able to duplicate the Haggar savings at a store but I dont do malls so cannot advise.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:14 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,127,505 times
JC Penney can be good. I love the $10 off $50 and if you're a loyal customer, you sign up for JCP Rewards and you get a $10 Reward. I signed up for the texts to get the coupon instead of having to waste paper printing out the coupon; just tell the cashier the coupon code in the text.
I did a $10 reward with a $10 off $25 or more coupon and spent $56 total for 2 sweaters, 2 long sleeve shirts, 2 short sleeve shirts for hubby and 3 bath towels.
My strategy is to sign up for email alerts and text alerts and study them a bit and see if its worth it. Some stores do $20 off $100 and that's a bit high for me to go in there.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:36 AM

464 posts, read 804,679 times
I have a Van Heusen Outlet just 15 minutes from my house and I shop there when they have sales. I have one of their reward cards and use that also. Van Heusen is good for work wear and casual day to day.

For working in the yard or going to a part of town where I don't want to stand out, I'll wear something I bought from Walmart's cheap-o, disposable Puritan clothes rack.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:36 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,765,643 times
My strategy is Ross !

I love that store. Not only can you find quality clothing at 75 % off but there are other things too , like housewares , shoes , purses, everything at amazing deals

Old 10-09-2010, 01:27 AM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
The biggest problem I have with scoring good clothes cheap is in order to do that you really have to SHOP. My mom had a black belt in finding deals, but she went looking a couple times or more a week, if she really needed something.

If it weren't for the fact I go to the grocery store just fine and I enjoy a "shop hop" for fabric at the drop of a hat, I'd worry I was developing agoraphobia. I can't stand shopping.

Hate hate hate it.

To the tune that when my nephew was getting married and I needed two dresses for the festivities, I got so frustrated and panicked that I ended up at the nicest Macy's, corralled a very helpful salesclerk, and she helped me find two dresses and put them together for me. I then went to Nordies for shoes.

I spent 300 bucks in one night, and I was so freaking happy it was over I didn't care.

Contrast with my mother, who had started looking MONTHS in advance.... and by the time she was done she had spent about 50 bucks. But she ENJOYED the process, where as I would rather have a root canal, a mammogram and a colonoscopy on the same day....

Old 10-09-2010, 04:20 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,485,072 times
Tallysmom, I am the same way. I can wander a fabric store for hours whether I buy something or not. But I cannot even go into a mall without dread.

I love the simplicity of choice at garage sales and have a large city to choose from. One woman has a great sale once a year where I have found 5-6 quality pieces each year. Another woman sold me 20 items for $20 and about 15 are those nice "can wear everyday" pieces. I gave one coat away to a friend.

When I have been forced to "shop" at a retail store, I can never find anything that fits and it makes me feel really bad about my body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living