Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 07:53 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,110 times

Advertisements

We have basic TV cable our library has a large volume of up to date movies on Cd as well as blue ray now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 09:27 AM

448 posts, read 1,055,021 times
best tv is free tv

Old 03-17-2011, 09:36 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,236,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Hey, do you mind me asking what they raised the prices to ?

I used to have that there and was paying $ 150 a month and got rid of it...( bundle )........
They raised it a total of $5. The internet is now $50 and the digital cable (with no premium channels ) is $95 for a total of $145. I do get a $58 discount since my apt complex has free cable.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:41 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,750,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
They raised it a total of $5. The internet is now $50 and the digital cable (with no premium channels ) is $95 for a total of $145. I do get a $58 discount since my apt complex has free cable.
I remember when it was $ 40 for internet and $ 40 for cable TV ( no premium channels ) .

Old 03-17-2011, 08:20 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,700,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Cox cable just raised our rates again as of this month. I have hd dvr and high speed internet. I just turned off the internet yesterday because of it.
Part of the raises in cable rates are due to higher fees demanded from cable carriers by networks, which itself is somewhat related to networks losing ad revenues as a result of DVRs and on-line viewing. Not all, but in part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bravo View Post
Quickie: what's the best way to watch e.g. the Netflix program on the big living-room screen? Do you use some kind of wireless adapter to get the stream from PC to TV?
You can connect a game system like a Wii or PS3 to your internet connection to stream Netflix content. Some BluRay players also come with this as a built in feature. I believe there are also a couple of devices you can buy strictly for the purpose of streaming internet content to your TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
2 cables from PC to TV.
One for audio (goes into headphone oulet on PC)
One for video.

Easy as!
If you have a big-screen, HD-TV and surround sound, those capabilities will be wasted with such a hook up.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:07 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,789,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
From July to September 155,000 turned in their cable boxes. TV subscribers are ditching their cable companies at an ever faster rate in the past few months, and many of them aren't signing up with a satellite or phone competitor instead.

Cable Subscribers Flee, But Is The Internet To Blame?

"The price of cable TV has risen to the point where it's simply not affordable to lots of lower-income homes. And right now there are an awful lot of lower-income homes," Moffett said. "The evidence suggests that what we're seeing is a poverty problem rather than a technology phenomenon."
In addition, high unemployment means fewer new households, as kids are probably delaying moving out of their parents' houses, or people move in with roommates. That can reduce the number of households that pay for TV. -end

I have cable TV but as time goes on I may have to reduce it to the 10 channel package or stop it all together.. . I will keep the internet though.

Edit : I should add that's only ONE cable company. The true number is likely much higher..
The lower income people I know get cable or satellite at a subsidized rate - none of them are dropping it.

We went from u-verse to a high end internet plan + hulu plus + a good antenna and came out ahead about $700/year. You can build a DVR pretty easily from a desktop computer, and 2TB stores a LOT of video...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living