Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 01:01 PM

756 posts, read 2,117,876 times

Advertisements

I buy birthday cards for others, because I receive them on my birthday. However, I feel it's a bit pricey buying cards. The amount to buy a card can get one a meal instead.

I was in Wal-Mart to purchase other items and needed a card, and didn't want to make a trip to CVS, where I usually find better selection.

At Wal-Mart, I found some cards that I liked, but they were all the $4 cards. And even then, the $4 cards weren't THAT great and looked like they were on quality as the $3 cards I'd see in CVS.

Wal-Mart has cards arranged by $4, $3, $2, and $1. The $3 and $2 cards were usually ugly. For example, a tacky flower pot that looked like it was from a 80's wallpaper would be the front of a $2 or $3 card.

Almost as if the designers go out of their way to make something ugly and it's offer to be the discounted price card. The $1 cards are usually blank inside and very bare. However thinking about it, it's probably better than the ugly $2 or $3 cards.

It was anytime I picked up a card that I liked, and looked at the price, it was the $4 card.

I also thought this must be almost pure profit for Wal-Mart and the greeting card company (American Greetings).

I'm wondering what do you guys to do to get a good and inexpensive birthday card? Being frugal, are buying these just avoided?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 01:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Go and buy an expensive card from a store that has outlets all over, like Hallmark, 5 bucks, and don't write anything on the card or the envelope. Mail it in a separate envelope, along with the sales slip. The celebrant can then take it to the local store and get a refund for it, and spend the money however he wants.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:13 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I like to check with Goodwill and Thrift Stores for that. They often get some really old, discontinued cards, retro type or just out of "nowadays" style. Those cards are gorgeous! I do not like Hallmark cards with all the ready sayings and poems, kitschy glitters and all that stuff I do not care for.
The cards I find in thrift places are often a dime a piece and come with an envelope, or sold as a bunch for a dollar or so.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:12 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Dollar Tree sometimes has some decent greeting cards and Family Dollar or Dollar General.
There is a good amount of plain cards but there are some good ones within the bunch.
Garden Ridge had this greeting card box that had an assortment of greeting cards for many occasions (baby boy, baby girl, congrats, wedding, get well, etc.) and at the time, it was $10.
There are also Greeting Card kits that allow you to make your own, kind of like scrapbooking. Also, you can do them on the computer. I get the greeting card at Office Depot and then print them out with some greeting card software/Microsoft Publisher, they come out really nice and you can customize your greeting in the card and in the back and I have the logo with the phrase "Especially created for you by (your name here)".
Have fun!

Old 11-18-2010, 02:19 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
You can send e-cards for free!

Old 11-18-2010, 05:01 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Why don't you make your greeting cards ?

You can do it free-hand if you are artistic or you can use the Greeting Card Program on your computer .

Old 11-18-2010, 06:48 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,849 times
I buy mine at the Dollar Store. They have them for .50, that's 2/$1.00. They must be recycled cards because they list for $5, $6 on the back, but are still 2/$1.00 at the dollar store. It's great because people don't know that they are really cheap cards.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:49 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I like to check with Goodwill and Thrift Stores for that. They often get some really old, discontinued cards, retro type or just out of "nowadays" style. Those cards are gorgeous! I do not like Hallmark cards with all the ready sayings and poems, kitschy glitters and all that stuff I do not care for.
The cards I find in thrift places are often a dime a piece and come with an envelope, or sold as a bunch for a dollar or so.
I've never thought to look at Goodwill. That's good advice. Thanks.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:09 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
I buy mine at the Dollar Store. They have them for .50, that's 2/$1.00. They must be recycled cards because they list for $5, $6 on the back, but are still 2/$1.00 at the dollar store. It's great because people don't know that they are really cheap cards.
You are giving out their trade secrets! But it is true.

Actually, most of the card vendors allow retailers to return cards to the greeting card companies. These are tossed into semi-loads and are delivered to small maquiladora plants in Cuidad Juarez and Reynosa. These folks process the credits and rework the rest of the returns for sale in secondary markets.

If you are a real aficienado, get a job at a place like Hallmark or America Greetings. Employees usually have a bag sale where you can buy cards by the large bag.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:06 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
The whole idea of a birthday card is silly anyway - no one I have ever known received a card on the day of their birth.

What they should do is have birthday anniversary cards - I bet THAT would go over big!

Be different from the rest of the pack - just make your own. Sure, it will eventually put another writer or artist out of business, but hey, they should have taken a different major in college anyway.

On a serious note - if you're partial to a certain charity or non-profit organization, see if they sell cards; they might be a little more pricey, but you'll be helping to support their cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living