Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 06:44 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
I buy mine at the Dollar Store. They have them for .50, that's 2/$1.00. They must be recycled cards because they list for $5, $6 on the back, but are still 2/$1.00 at the dollar store. It's great because people don't know that they are really cheap cards.

I have had coworkers who worked for American Greetings in Cleveland and at Hallmark in Kansas City over the past few years. They have basically the same business model.

The individual cards cost the manufacturers pennies, no matter how fancy they are. They pump out thousands of each card and send them off to all kinds of retailers. In many cases, the retailers have a right to return the goods at the end of the season. At the end of the season, the retailers return what they cannot sell. The cards and other products are generally shipped to maquiladoras in Mexico where they are reworked where possible and sold. They get returns by the semi trailer loads. I am sure that at least some of those reworked cards make their way back to discount retailers (dollar stores, closeout stores, and the like).

If you ever work at AG or Hallmark, one of the benefits are the employee sales where people buy cards by the bags.

I do send birthday cards as a means of staying in touch with my younger relatives as I do not text them. Besides, everyone (except for some of the crabs on some C-D forums) likes to know that they are remembered. I no longer send Hanukkah and Christmas cards as I prefer to send letters. I do buy them on closeout.

All my cards are bought for under $1 and ONLY nice ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 08:17 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
i go to the dollar store for cards. many of them have higher prices listed on them and seem like just as good quality as regular stores.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:26 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,193,480 times
I only purchase cards if I'm sending something via snail mail. Yesterday for Mothers Day I took dinner to my mom, no card though.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:32 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,551 times
Frequently, Costco has a 'kit' of greeting cards at a good price. They're the fancier cards (would probably cost $4 each in the store, they have that homemade/scrapbooked sort of look), but they price out at less than $1 a card. I typically buy one box per year. There's a nice mix of birthday, non-specific 'congratulations', new baby, graduation, new job, and just pretty cards with no message.

I also often buy pretty or unusual/funny boxes of note cards at Marshalls or TJ Maxx, cheaply. Most recently, I got some note cards (blank inside) decorated with Andy Warhol paintings, and some with some really cute pictures of cats. Often, you can find something suitable here, for a birthday, thank you, congratulations, or thinking of you card.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:16 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,676 times
Birthday cards can be expensive. I have about 12 birthdays to shop for a year (family members). Birthday cards go for $2 to $4 at Rite Aid where I used to buy them. I now buy them at the Dollar Tree. I get two for 99 cents. I also used to buy gift bags at Rite Aid for convenience/being lazy. 12+ of these a year can get pricey, too, so I get these at the Dollar Tree as well. I'm positive these get reused again by my family members so I don't write anything on the attached tags. What a guy!

-Cheers.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:27 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,152,049 times
I second trying the dollar stores. I try and get them there, if I can't find anything in the $1-$2 range (that I like) at retailers like CVS, etc.

However, I have become increasingly irritated about cards over the past several years. I used to be able to walk into a store and find a simple funny card to send to someone. I like to do that every so often, and I know my recipients enjoy getting them. These days though, it seems as if everything has a theme to it - birthday, get well, etc. I want a funny, yet simple "hey, how are you" card.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:44 PM

5,475 posts, read 6,296,558 times
I never, ever buy greeting cards anywhere other than the dollar stores. Why pay $3, $4 or $5 for a card when you can get one just as good for $1?

Old 05-15-2013, 09:15 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,354 times
The one thing Im not really frugal on is gifts and cards. I have very few human contacts...people I could call friends and family. Just two friends and six family members...so I do not skimp on cards. I dont buy super-elaborate gifts and cards but I do put an effort into finding them and dont worry too much about the price when i find the "right" one.

I posted on another thread about tax refunds. I've set aside a portion of my tax refund for a years worth of gifts and cards for these folks. To me it's worth it.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:17 AM

4 posts, read 6,367 times
I use portals to buy greetings and send them online to India. The best thing about Gifting Portals is; you can choose any card from a variety of cards and templates. They allow you to customize the cards using different tools and other features by which you can add pictures and texts.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:30 AM

893 posts, read 1,206,917 times
Buying cards is one of the biggest wastes of money there is. No one really wants them, they usually get tossed in the trash the day they are received, and then consider how many cards people are "expected" to give - like 20 a year or so (a handful of birthdays, some holidays, some "special occasions", it adds up) - at $4/card that's around $80 over the course of the year. And for what? No one gets any value out of them (except the people selling them).

I haven't bought a card for anyone in years. No one seems to miss them, especially because I usually give the person a good gift instead. Take that $80 and buy something you (or someone else) will actually want instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living