Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 07:53 AM

191 posts, read 948,009 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I have a cable/internet bundle with Comcast that I received with a 6 month promotion about half a year ago. I was paying about $75/month for these services when I realized next month my bill was going to jump to about $120/month for the same services. I decided to give it a shot and call into Comcast to see if they could extend my 6 month intro price. Not only did they extend my promotion, they offered me an even BETTER deal than I had previously been paying for! My bill went from $75/month to $50/month as they offered me $19.99/month for internet and $29.99/month for cable!

I had no idea there were such variations in price for the same service. My advice to all you guys is give it a try and call your Internet/cable provider and nicely ask if they can give you a better deal than you already have. It never hurts to ask and I was really, really pleasantly surprised.

What a sweet gift for the holidays!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 09:54 AM

16,955 posts, read 16,808,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrode View Post
Hi all! I have a cable/internet bundle with Comcast that I received with a 6 month promotion about half a year ago. I was paying about $75/month for these services when I realized next month my bill was going to jump to about $120/month for the same services. I decided to give it a shot and call into Comcast to see if they could extend my 6 month intro price. Not only did they extend my promotion, they offered me an even BETTER deal than I had previously been paying for! My bill went from $75/month to $50/month as they offered me $19.99/month for internet and $29.99/month for cable!

I had no idea there were such variations in price for the same service. My advice to all you guys is give it a try and call your Internet/cable provider and nicely ask if they can give you a better deal than you already have. It never hurts to ask and I was really, really pleasantly surprised.

I did like you and their latest offer ( not comcast ) was the basic channels ( I guess 13 ) and high speed internet for $ 59

Old 12-20-2010, 02:18 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,336,294 times
I do that every year. Call and tell them I'm thinking of switching to FIOS, so what can they do for me? Every time, I get more free stuff for less money. Last time it was free HBO for a year along with the faster internet package, for less than I had been paying before asking.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:25 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,724,151 times
Quote:

It's kinda a well kept secret that cable companies use "individual billing" where your bill and your friends & neighbors bills are not , nor will they be, the same for the same services.

The poor Delbert Dumbutt that just pays his bill will pay the most whereas the customer that always kicks, screams and generally is a pain in the butt will get the deals and pay the least for cable services. (remember to be a pain in the butt POLITELY!)

The hard part is never ever let your guard down and keep records of all your calls and who you spoke with.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:22 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,217,156 times
My cable company has different offers, depending on which person you get on the phone. When baseball season was over, I called and asked if they had a deal on HBO or Max, like free for three months, and he says, oh no, it's very unusual for a deal like that. I called back a week later and got somebody else, and she says Sure, and hooks me up for 3 months of free HBO.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:56 AM

191 posts, read 948,009 times
Yeah I was quite amazed with the variance in their deal packages depending on who you speak to and what discounts you ask for. I'll definately have to share this information with my parents who have a triple bundle (internet/cable/home phone) to help them save money.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:38 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,534,121 times
Quote:

Good for you. My coworker just tried to do this with comcast and all they would give her is free HBO for 3 months. SHe's tried several tiems and keeps getting the same response.

I'm surprised they negotiate as much as they do, the cancellation fees on those contracts is ridiculous, most people even though they threaten probably wont switch b/c not only will they pay a several hundred dollar cancellation fee but they will just move onto another introductory rate that will explode again 6 months down the road.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:42 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,618,961 times
We were on Dish Network until a Mediacom salesman came to the door. We got phone, cable, and internet for $99/month for a year. Step daughter is staying with us while hubby is deployed in Afghanistan and asked about getting encore and Showtime so she could watch Big Brother After Dark. lol She pays the extra $30 for that. Our year is up and we're paying $129 for the three services, minus the movies that she pays for. Still a bunch cheaper than paying for all 3 seperate!

Old 12-22-2010, 05:48 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,234,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
It's kinda a well kept secret that cable companies use "individual billing" where your bill and your friends & neighbors bills are not , nor will they be, the same for the same services.

The poor Delbert Dumbutt that just pays his bill will pay the most whereas the customer that always kicks, screams and generally is a pain in the butt will get the deals and pay the least for cable services. (remember to be a pain in the butt POLITELY!)

The hard part is never ever let your guard down and keep records of all your calls and who you spoke with.
Exactly!

I called to cancel my cable service (I just wanted the internet, I didn't really watch TV anymore) and they offered to give me the full cable package for $7.99 as long as I kept my internet service with them.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:06 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,017,234 times
Canceled my comcast service recently. Paying $60/mo for internet just wasn't worth it, and they refused to give me any special offers..now paying $100/mo for dsl/dish/phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living