Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 02:22 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,224,391 times

Advertisements

We've all seen foreclosed McMansions in this horrible economy, but I've always been more interested in the much older, classic homes that sit vacant for months or even years with no sale. The kind that have old outbuildings, tools, toys, and firewood stacks left in the backyards by the last owner/tenant.

As much as I sympathize with whatever circumstances forced the abandonment of these kinds of houses in my neighborhood, it goes against my frugal soul not to explore "benign appropriation" of useable discarded items. No, not just taking them because no one is there, but making some calls to see if I can get permission to do so.

One house built in 1920 on several acres and left pretty trashed by whoever lived there was "managed" by a local bank, who referred us to the out-of-state owner when we made some inquiries. My husband called this owner and asked straight out if he would mind us taking the firewood and rusty tools we saw laying about.

The owner started laughing and said he'd inherited the property from a relative and would be thrilled if someone could use what was left behind. He emailed us permission and told the bank, too.

So far, believe it or not, my hubby and his friend have found, dismantled, and carted away the following:

1. Rabbit hutch, chicken coop, and koi pond materials
2. Two cords of dried firewood
3. An axe, shovel, maul, rake, hoe, and crowbar
4. A wood playground set
5. Small metal shed
6. An estimated $900 worth of weathered lumber

We called the owner a second time and listed what we'd found. Again, he said to go ahead and take what we wanted.

I just wanted to share our good fortune in thinking frugally outside the box and encourage you to keep an eye out for a similar situation in your neighborhood. You might get lucky, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 08:23 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,443,939 times
What a great idea -- and a great reward for your concern to ensure that you werent taking anything the owner might want. Thanks!

Old 05-23-2011, 09:52 PM

23,602 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Clever. If it was being managed for an O O S owner, that is different than a foreclosed property though.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:01 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,422,471 times
very clever - good for you

Old 05-24-2011, 12:30 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Awesome!

Freecycling at its best

Old 05-24-2011, 03:48 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,224,391 times
Thank you for the kind comments, and I wonder if putting an ad of some sort like this on your local Craigslist would elicit any responses. I wouldn't know how to word it exactly, but I thought it was worth mentioning in passing.

Our last find in a cupboard in the barn yesterday was several dozen glass canning jars and rings.

Yep, the owner's not interested in canning, either!

Old 05-27-2011, 09:29 PM

983 posts, read 2,543,815 times
As a product of the foreclosure, some people started businesses to go clean homes for banks after people leave them. Most of what people leave behind ended up in the trash. It's sad to see even more money gets tossed in the garbage, but that's what has happened and still happening. I wish if banks would be smart like this OOS owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living