Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 09:57 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
I said the smae thing as the people who say they don't need it. Sure you don't need it but once you have it you will never go back. I was one of the holdouts who said totally unnecessary however once I got an opportunity to get my Sprint Everything for $52 I jumped on it and I couldn't go back.

Today I was picking up my sister from the airport and remembered a bakery in the city. Did a quick google search on my phone and got a couple delicious carmel brownies on my way to pick her up.

I sell alot of stuff on craigslist. People tend to show up late, etc. Having email on my phone allows me to sell stuff while nt having to sit at home next to my computer waiting to see when someoen wants to come pick up an item.

I got to a lot of storage auctions and police auctions. Great way to check prices on ebay and craigslist so I knwo what to bid and still be able to make money.

The shop saavy app is cool too. Was gonna buy some garage floor epoxy at lowes for like $150, scanned the barcode and saw Home Depot had teh same stuff for $74. Went and got it there. I could also read reviews to make sure the stuff was decent.

Also though not necessary it's fun to be able to show someone a youtube video, a website, etc without having to say check your email later I'll send it to you.

I find a lot of use out of pandora music palyer/radioi as well. I'll never buy another cd or mp3 again, I can listen to a station of any artist anytime I want.

GPS, no need for it phone has it. Also an app called Checkpoint Wingman where you can find police speed stops as well as dui checkpoints.

Was golfing the other day and my cart didn't have gps and ragefinder, downloaded an app and what do you know I have all my distances and the course mapped out.
I feel the same, I used to think all I wanted my phone to do was make calls. I now have a Droid X and can't think of a good reason NOT to have it anymore. it's a turn by turn nav unit just like a Garmin or Tom Tom, it's an iPod, syncing with iTunes and keeping my playlists (and now it streams those playlists wirelessly to my car stereo as I drive using bluetooth), it's a business locator, and it's a great email tool for if I'm selling something on ebay or craigslist. It's the only place I use facebook (and I find it easy to keep up with family and friends all across the country with it) it's a pretty decent camera, both still AND movie. It keeps my passwords, my calendar is synced with work so I can always have my appointments and meetings at hand, and it runs a free version of Office so I can deal with documents and the like right from the phone. There are games for when I'm stuck waiting for someone or on the train. Or I can use the Kindle app to read books.

Oh, and it makes phone calls, too.. hahaha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 10:11 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You used 21gb on your phone already? At $0.15/mb, that's some $3000.
no no not on my phone - at work. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-21-2011, 07:09 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,477,372 times
Use Virgin Mobile's $25/mo plan for unlimited 3g data and 300 minutes.. get an Android phone with it.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:00 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Use Virgin Mobile's $25/mo plan for unlimited 3g data and 300 minutes.. get an Android phone with it.
I more or less agree with VM $25 plan if you can deal with only 300 minutes and no roaming. I pat $5 more on Sprint for a full featured plan, so it's not a good deal for me, but might be for some.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:19 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,034,760 times
Quote:
I said the smae thing as the people who say they don't need it. Sure you don't need it but once you have it you will never go back. I was one of the holdouts who said totally unnecessary however once I got an opportunity to get my Sprint Everything for $52 I jumped on it and I couldn't go back.

Today I was picking up my sister from the airport and remembered a bakery in the city. Did a quick google search on my phone and got a couple delicious carmel brownies on my way to pick her up.

I sell alot of stuff on craigslist. People tend to show up late, etc. Having email on my phone allows me to sell stuff while nt having to sit at home next to my computer waiting to see when someoen wants to come pick up an item.

I got to a lot of storage auctions and police auctions. Great way to check prices on ebay and craigslist so I knwo what to bid and still be able to make money.

The shop saavy app is cool too. Was gonna buy some garage floor epoxy at lowes for like $150, scanned the barcode and saw Home Depot had teh same stuff for $74. Went and got it there. I could also read reviews to make sure the stuff was decent.

Also though not necessary it's fun to be able to show someone a youtube video, a website, etc without having to say check your email later I'll send it to you.

I find a lot of use out of pandora music palyer/radioi as well. I'll never buy another cd or mp3 again, I can listen to a station of any artist anytime I want.

GPS, no need for it phone has it. Also an app called Checkpoint Wingman where you can find police speed stops as well as dui checkpoints.

Was golfing the other day and my cart didn't have gps and ragefinder, downloaded an app and what do you know I have all my distances and the course mapped out.
that all sounds great, but how much do you spend per month for the service?

Old 06-22-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
I have a similar plan with Sprint and I pay $30/month plus about $4 in taxes and fees.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:28 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
I pay $52 per month unlimited phone, internet, text, everything. No capped data which is great, my buddy with tmobile after a certain amount of data he can only access 2g after that point.

I considered tmobile a hwile back, heard they were going to cap, the employee told me I would be grandfathered ni which was a lie as two of my buddies were in way before and still have their crappy new caps.

To the person who says they pay $34 a month, with sprint? Someone else said this and I don't believe it. I get 27% off my bill per month which is the highest corp discount they have. I know there's a SERO plan but it's not as good as 27% as I was comparing them when I signed up.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I pay $52 per month unlimited phone, internet, text, everything. No capped data which is great, my buddy with tmobile after a certain amount of data he can only access 2g after that point.

I considered tmobile a hwile back, heard they were going to cap, the employee told me I would be grandfathered ni which was a lie as two of my buddies were in way before and still have their crappy new caps.

To the person who says they pay $34 a month, with sprint? Someone else said this and I don't believe it. I get 27% off my bill per month which is the highest corp discount they have. I know there's a SERO plan but it's not as good as 27% as I was comparing them when I signed up.
You probably weren't looking at the SERO plans. You were probably looking at the EPRP. SERO has not been available since August, 2008.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:40 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,118,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Then I discovered that you *can* buy phones online at a discount (I got mine at NewEgg.com) and you can use pay as you go plans such as Simple Mobile, H2O, and the one that I picked (because I need the Verizon network), PagePlus.
How is the internet browsing on the phone itself? I'm curious about switching. I have Boost mobile but the internet isn't great on it for browsing or GPS, etc.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:47 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
and the one that I picked (because I need the Verizon network), PagePlus.
what does this mean? i currenly have verizon and im happy with everything but the price. i pay about 220 a month now for my 3 phones (2 with data).

i checked the last bill and it was about 190mb of data used.

how about using a phone i currently have? cant cancel verizon service (when contract expires) and still use the phone for another provider?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living